Songkran Traffic Deaths Up, Injuries And Accidents Down

george

Lets stop whining and crying about what Thais do. Their system or lack of it works for them. If one is so worried about drunk driving head on back home and then remember why you couldn't wait to move to Thailand.

So I am wrong to worry about Thais driving like nutters - as 'it works for them'

I must say without reservation your comments are the most profoundly stupid thing I have ever read on this forum :o

Edited by deprogrammed

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personaly, I am amaized the death doll is so low. The songkraze death race goes on for over a week around Pattaya. It is common to see kids (usualy 3 to a bike) speeding in an out of traffic whilst having buckets of water hurled at them from nutters lining the sides of the roads. Their parents just look on with a zombie brain dead type of admiration and glee.

I would like to think the cull made the roads safer. However, alas, I think most Thais have no sense of death or danger.

The average mentality of a Thai is that of a 12 year old - so what is to be expected by allowing millions of untrained and unlicenced (not to mention insured) kids run wild on the roads whilst fueled with alcohol

And your (country) average mentality would be ? ... especially when you state things like ""personaly, I am amaized the death doll is so low"" I don't think you are most qualified to rate the mentality level of the people of the country you live in.

i wouldn't believe any stats that the nation has compiled from sources that wouldn't have a clue.

I agree with the above.

I lived in Chiang Rai Province during the 90's for more than 5 years,during that time I witnessed many road accidents and most were never reported.I lived in a small village some 45 kms from the main city and almost never saw any police.

I wonder out of the 300+ death, how many are realy cost by accident, and how many are shot by the army during the crash.

Shot by the Army during the crash????????? What do you mean???? You saying that the army come out to an accident and put down the injured like a mongrel dog. Guess it saves calling an ambulance and tying up the hospital emergency ward.

:o I have read these posts and there are a number of good points made by some but also some stupid ones.

All the stategies in the world can be put in place to try and curb the road toll but these alone are not going to fix the problem. It has to start with some very serious education and this will not happen overnight it will take a generation to finally start to see real results. You have to start today not tomorrow.

I have seen my fair share of carnage on the roads having served as a police officer for over 20 years and during this time been involved in implementing various strategies and serving on a number of road safety commitees so I do have some insight.

"A total of 5,271,977 drivers and motorcycle-riders were examined at checkpoints nationwide."

So that's around 523 people examined every minute, 24 hours a day for 7 days. The police must be pretty knackered after all that...

Do they seriously expect people to believe these stats?!

It is absolutely absurd that the amount of deaths is accepted duting this festival. Thailand has just been through a state of Emergency with troops on the street firing live rounds etc. 2 deaths only were incurred and those between fighting factions and there was an outcry!!!!

Put things in prospective.

Songkran traffic deaths up, injuries and accidents down

Songkran's "seven dangerous days" ended yesterday with 373 deaths and 4,332 injuries in 3,977 road accidents nationwide.

The number of deaths increased by five from last year, but there were 471 fewer injuries and 266 fewer accidents, said Interior Ministry permanent secretary Wichai Srikwan.

Chiang Mai reported the most fatalities at 14. Chiang Rai had the highest number of injuries at 164 and the highest number of accidents at 145.

Meanwhile, Trat, Chachoengsao, Yasothon, Amnat Charoen, Sakon Nakhon, Nan and Yala provinces did not report any deaths during the seven dangerous days.

On Thursday alone, there were 52 deaths and 371 injuries in 343 road accidents.

A total of 5,271,977 drivers and motorcycle-riders were examined at checkpoints nationwide. Of those, 408,020 were cited for violating the law, including 137,806 for driving without a licence and 136,772 for not wearing a helmet.

Motorcycles were the vehicles most involved in road accidents, about 82 per cent of all vehicles. The biggest cause of accidents was drunken driving (40.66 per cent), followed by speeding (19.96 per cent).

The Public Health Ministry reported that its emergency units had given medical assistance 21,456 times and 74 per cent of victims had received help from the units within 10 minutes.

People called the 1669 emergency hotline for help 11,113 times.

The ministry found that three times more shopkeepers on secondary roads violated the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act of 2008 than on main roads. Alcoholic drinks were also sold in petrol stations, which is prohibited.

Ministry officials randomly inspected 28 provinces in all four regions between April 10 and this past Wednesday.

Out of 661 petrol stations inspected by the officials, alcoholic beverages were found on sale in 102, 28 per cent on secondary roads and 9 per cent on main roads.

A total of 140 out of 767 inspected shops violated the Act by selling alcohol outside legal hours.

-- The Nation 2009-04-18

I went to from Bkk to Chiang Mai on my Cbr 150 on Monday, and I didn't come across a single accident. As a matter of fact there was almost zero traffic on the road and it was a real pleasure to do the 8 hours ride, except for the road blockage between Lampang and Lamphun by the f...... red shirts, which didn't keep me from going right through it, since I didn't want to do a de-tour of 150 kms.

I think these are bullshit statistics. The initial post here was dated yesterday. Well here in Naklua last night there was a lot of Songkran still going on. Traffic was barely moving on Naklua Road up to something like 9 p.m. last night. And today we are having the biggest Songkran day in Pattaya itself. So when did we start counting and when did we end it? So.......will the number of people killed or injured yesterday and today be included in the official stats? And if today's numbers are added in the first day's should be chopped off. Which would give us a larger or lesser number? By the way the water throwing started a couple days early here in Pattaya. And I hear that tomorrow is Jomtien's turn for Songkran. I think we will have to put a few more deaths, accidents, and injuries to "the official figures as reported.

Okay...let's just say the number of deaths is just 400, and I think this figure is too low. Most deaths are on motorbikes or motorbike related. Thailand has a population of around 60 million. The U.S. around 300 million. That's 5 times more people in the U.S. Multiply 400 deaths by a factor of five and ask yourselves what would happen in the U.S. if there was a holiday in which 2000 people were killed in a single week to nine days most of them being motorbike related deaths. That holiday would stop right now. The water throwing would be halted. Incidentally just up the street from where I lived there was a group of massage girls throwing water on everyone walking and driving by. The girls were for the most part plastering mud on the faces of everyone going by. But a single Westerner was with these girls with a large squirt gun. And he was aiming straight for the eyes of every motorcyclist who passed. In the U.S. he would have been jailed.

Edited by jackcorbett

It is absolutely absurd that the amount of deaths is accepted duting this festival. Thailand has just been through a state of Emergency with troops on the street firing live rounds etc. 2 deaths only were incurred and those between fighting factions and there was an outcry!!!!

Put things in prospective.

I accept the fact that people die because they were loaded drunk and or speeding and probably without a helmet, too. som nam na, as the Thais say. How many people die elsewhere in traffic accidents all the time and no one gives a shit about it? Why should it be any different here? People die on roads, fact of life.

And it's absolutely OK that there's a public outcry over 2 guys getting shot by the <deleted>.king red shirts because they tried to keep the reds from blowing up a GAS TRUCK!!!! in front of their houses!!!

Maybe you should put things in perspective!

Okay...let's just say the number of deaths is just 400, and I think this figure is too low. Most deaths are on motorbikes or motorbike related. Thailand has a population of around 60 million. The U.S. around 300 million. That's 5 times more people in the U.S. Multiply 400 deaths by a factor of five and ask yourselves what would happen in the U.S. if there was a holiday in which 2000 people were killed in a single week to nine days most of them being motorbike related deaths. That holiday would stop right now. The water throwing would be halted. Incidentally just up the street from where I lived there was a group of massage girls throwing water on everyone walking and driving by. The girls were for the most part plastering mud on the faces of everyone going by. But a single Westerner was with these girls with a large squirt gun. And he was aiming straight for the eyes of every motorcyclist who passed. In the U.S. he would have been jailed.

But the majority of Thais don't care or this "extreme" behavior would stop.

When I scratch my head and ask why; I just remind myself it's because they simply don't care...

Personaly, I am amaized the death doll is so low. The songkraze death race goes on for over a week around Pattaya. It is common to see kids (usualy 3 to a bike) speeding in an out of traffic whilst having buckets of water hurled at them from nutters lining the sides of the roads. Their parents just look on with a zombie brain dead type of admiration and glee.

I would like to think the cull made the roads safer. However, alas, I think most Thais have no sense of death or danger.

The average mentality of a Thai is that of a 12 year old - so what is to be expected by allowing millions of untrained and unlicenced (not to mention insured) kids run wild on the roads whilst fueled with alcohol

And your (country) average mentality would be ? ... especially when you state things like ""personaly, I am amaized the death doll is so low"" I don't think you are most qualified to rate the mentality level of the people of the country you live in.

Typos my pedantic friend - typos! And for your personal information I consider myself well qualified to judge the mentality of Thais - being an observer for over 20 years.

However, to clarify, I think many 12 year olds from certain parts of the world are more developed and responsible - and more educated. Obviously you see things differntly since you - I assume - started to wear flipflops and reject your own culture. Many misfits seem to fit in here - your not alone.

PS A country does not have an average mentality, and I don't live in Thailand!

Edited by deprogrammed

Lets stop whining and crying about what Thais do. Their system or lack of it works for them. If one is so worried about drunk driving head on back home and then remember why you couldn't wait to move to Thailand.

So I am wrong to worry about Thais driving like nutters - as 'it works for them'

I must say without reservation your comments are the most profoundly stupid thing I have ever read on this forum :o

Apparently yes, it works for them. This country existed as it does now before you came along. If you don't like it, there are plenty of safer places to live. Why don't you choose one and go there. A lot of people appreciate the lax rules in Thailand, which is why they came here. If you wish to turn this place into a western country...why not move to a western country? The rules are already set in place for you there. You can go back to playing your playstation now.

Apparently yes, it works for them. This country existed as it does now before you came along. If you don't like it, there are plenty of safer places to live. Why don't you choose one and go there. A lot of people appreciate the lax rules in Thailand, which is why they came here. If you wish to turn this place into a western country...why not move to a western country? The rules are already set in place for you there. You can go back to playing your playstation now.

Wouldn't know how to use a playstation. <deleted> do you mean it works for them! So the hundreds of familys who have lost loved ones: mothers, fathers, children - bread winners in some cases - will find great comfort in your ludicrous words - 'it works for them'

If i lived in the Uk then by your mad philosphy i should accept everything. Or China or Kenya. Oh, i see so where ever we reside we accept everything -even death and mayhem because we choose to live their

Idiot of the highest degree.

Wouldn't know how to use a playstation. <deleted> do you mean it works for them! So the hundreds of familys who have lost loved ones: mothers, fathers, children - bread winners in some cases - will find great comfort in your ludicrous words - 'it works for them'

If i lived in the Uk then by your mad philosphy i should accept everything. Or China or Kenya. Oh, i see so where ever we reside we accept everything -even death and mayhem because we choose to live their

I'm not wishing a battle here. Why is death such an atrocity for you? People die everyday. In 100 or so years, everyone on the planet alive today will be dead. Death is a part of life. Just enjoy your time wherever it may be. It's helpful for your health mentally and physically to think in a positive light, such as...there is a reason for everything.

Why waste your time worrying about something like a car accident, that may never happen to you? Try and enjoy your time.

I'm not wishing a battle here. Why is death such an atrocity for you? People die everyday. In 100 or so years, everyone on the planet alive today will be dead. Death is a part of life. Just enjoy your time wherever it may be. It's helpful for your health mentally and physically to think in a positive light, such as...there is a reason for everything.

Why waste your time worrying about something like a car accident, that may never happen to you? Try and enjoy your time.

I would't do battle with an unarmed person - so touche. For your information though, death is an 'atrocity' to civilized sentient humans. Hence, we are programmed to avoid it at all cost. But more relevent, to protect our offspring from premature violent death! It is just gods law.

Giving a motorcycle to a 10 year old is insane

I drove through many police checkpoints during Songkran.

Where they set up a tent on the side of the road or freeway.

Not once did I see any car stopped there.

I actually saw a young thai boy about 12 run out in front of a police pickup

trying to throw water on someone..and just managed to avoid being squished.

The Police pickup just continued on its way.

"A total of 5,271,977 drivers and motorcycle-riders were examined at checkpoints nationwide."

So that's around 523 people examined every minute, 24 hours a day for 7 days. The police must be pretty knackered after all that...

Do they seriously expect people to believe these stats?!

64 million people here, country the size of NY state

Easy enough to believe.

I was stopped and lightly examined 4 different times during Songkran week.

Sawasdee be mai, white shirt, mai dang; smile, waved on.

No problems no issue, just a look in the window and a judgement

I am not a threat move along.

They appeared to average 4-7 cars per minute at most stops,

and there were many I passed through where Thais were stopped

and I was waved along based on my face.

Thaifever wow you are ignorant... let's just start making arguments by first discounting human nature to abhor and avoid death for their loved ones at all costs.... just lets pretend that isnt the way we are. You apologise for Thailand so vehemently that now death isn't even a bad thing LOL! Thai apologists make me laugh.

I suggest we rename Sonkran to its real name.... Death Festival. Maybe less tourists if we rename it but at least it is more realistic.

As the figures at the end of this post demonstrate, Thais' have approximately a 50% greater chance of dying in a road accident than those in the USA:

Thailand: 18 per 100,000

USA: 12 per 100,000

I do not know the percentage of road deaths in the USA or Thailand which were of those riding motorbikes. However, I can venture an opinion that if motorbike ridership was at the same level in the two countries, the death toll would likely be less in Thailand than in the USA (and probably less than most developed countries).

Many of my co-contributors to this forum have made worthwhile comments. Many have not.

Having been a reader of this forum for over four years I am not surprised but do remain saddened that so many of the comments are uneducated, snide and mean-spirited. For example:

spaceshipcrew: “a human life has no value here.”

finnomick: “Will they ever learn -- I doubt it...”

kangaroo: “i wouldn't believe any stats that the nation has compiled from sources that wouldn't have a clue.”

deprogrammed: “The average mentality of a Thai is that of a 12 year old.”

kano85: “But life has no value here.”

Lancelot: “I just remind myself it's because they simply don't care...”

I am curious on where you all get your information.

Stats:

US: 12 per 100,000

Highway deaths 2008: 37,313.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090406/ap_on_.../highway_deaths

Population: 307,212,123 (July 2009 est).

Source: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/th...k/print/us.html

Thai: 18 per 100,000

Highway deaths 2007: 12,000.

Source: http://en.thaihealth.or.th/index.php?optio...33&Itemid=1

Population: 65,905,410 (July 2009 est.)

Source: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/th...k/print/th.html

Yugo. Good info.

My observation is that Songkran is much like 4th July weekend

Deaths go way up, and for similar reasons.

But that because of much stricter enforcement of laws,

deaths in general are that 50% less on a day to day basis.

Another observation:

The prevalence of purchased good luck,

leads to irresponsability, since they have

purchased a path around bad occurances

from their own lack of foresight.

Sondhi's choice of amulet will enjoy a spectacular price this month.

And belief in reincarnation and a benevolent Buddha

has contributed to, if not a belittlement of life's value,

a sense that this isn't the ONLY one,

so they worry less about losing it.

Doesn't help much when you are on the street writihng

in agony in anticipation of death though.

Maybe you would like to meet my Thai mother in law who made a serious attempt at suicide after a drunk driver killed her son.

He got off after paying off the 'right' people.

Tell her that it's the way things should be and see what answer you get.

I had a funny accident on the bike a couple of months ago.

In Pattaya on second rd. a motorbike cut me off coming from a side soi.

I just managed to brake hard to avoid a crash.

Of course, I went down, had quite an asphalt-rash.

The driver turned around (against the one-way traffic to see if I lived,

turned around and sped off.

1 minute later, a FPV (foreign police volunteer) came by, while I was still trying to recover,

lying on the road.

He did a bit of questioning the various witnesses (who did nothing to help me BTW).

He then found out (licenceplate number) who the bike in question belonged to.

Oi, oi, it belonged to a policeman!!!!!!

Anyway, the Sawang Boriboon came along, and patched me up (as well as they can do with their limited

means, with bandages, antiseptic fluids etc.).

The FPV then insisted, that I went to the policestation (soi 9) to make a report.

They agreed, that it was in no way my fault, and offered to reembourse bills for medical

care up to 15.000,- THB.

Funnily enough, there was no mention whatsoever, about it being a policeman causing the accident

and fleeing the scene of it. :o

Typos my pedantic friend - typos! And for your personal information I consider myself well qualified to judge the mentality of Thais - being an observer for over 20 years.

However, to clarify, I think many 12 year olds from certain parts of the world are more developed and responsible - and more educated. Obviously you see things differntly since you - I assume - started to wear flipflops and reject your own culture. Many misfits seem to fit in here - your not alone.

PS A country does not have an average mentality, and I don't live in Thailand!

So you judge the mentality of people just by observing them from ...? i am living and working here since 25 years, and i guess i have a little insight at what kind of people thais are and i can tell you that you are not qualified, you are simply injuriating people because it makes you comfortable to feel superior. Hopefully you do not stay here as we do not need farangs of your stature. Call me a misfit if you wish (you seem to like calling people names), say i wear flipflop, tell me i reject my culture, i do not care what you think really, i wish you could have a life ... stay where you are and continue to judge.

Sorry all this is off topic, but some guys seem to be off content as well.