Songkran Traffic Deaths Up, Injuries And Accidents Down

george

I wonder out of the 300+ death, how many are realy cost by accident, and how many are shot by the army during the crash.
I wonder out of the 300+ death, how many are realy cost by accident, and how many are shot by the army during the crash.

what an ignorant and stupid remark.

Ignorant and stupid remark ditto - I think you're eith a conspiracy theorist or you have been hitting the yabba too much. Either way you really are better off to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the figures at the end of this post demonstrate, Thais' have approximately a 50% greater chance of dying in a road accident than those in the USA:

Thailand: 18 per 100,000

USA: 12 per 100,000

I do not know the percentage of road deaths in the USA or Thailand which were of those riding motorbikes. However, I can venture an opinion that if motorbike ridership was at the same level in the two countries, the death toll would likely be less in Thailand than in the USA (and probably less than most developed countries).

Yes. In Thailand you can ride a motorbike all season. You might get 4 or 5 months on average in the US. From the quotes above, I think the percentage is closer to 33% higher per 100,000, but it's a higher number given the number of motorbikes on the road vs cars. Not to mention the fact that roadside medical care is virtually non-existent here. There's a spike in the number of drunk drivers in the US during holidays such as New Years, high school graduation, and any holiday as well.

Judging by the comments some have made, it seems some people have an axe to grind. Either that or too much time on their hands :o

Apparently yes, it works for them. This country existed as it does now before you came along. If you don't like it, there are plenty of safer places to live. Why don't you choose one and go there. A lot of people appreciate the lax rules in Thailand, which is why they came here. If you wish to turn this place into a western country...why not move to a western country? The rules are already set in place for you there. You can go back to playing your playstation now.

Thaifever wow you are ignorant... let's just start making arguments by first discounting human nature to abhor and avoid death for their loved ones at all costs.... just lets pretend that isnt the way we are. You apologise for Thailand so vehemently that now death isn't even a bad thing LOL! Thai apologists make me laugh.

I suggest we rename Sonkran to its real name.... Death Festival. Maybe less tourists if we rename it but at least it is more realistic.

Thanks for the laugh. I understand where you're coming from. But no one said anything about discounting human nature or not trying to avoid death. My point is, enjoy your life rather than live in fear. I really don't think it's much worse here than high school grad, or New Years back home. Some of you come across as whining old women lol.

As the figures at the end of this post demonstrate, Thais' have approximately a 50% greater chance of dying in a road accident than those in the USA:

I do not know the percentage of road deaths in the USA or Thailand which were of those riding motorbikes. However, I can venture an opinion that if motorbike ridership was at the same level in the two countries, the death toll would likely be less in Thailand than in the USA (and probably less than most developed countries).

Yes. In Thailand you can ride a motorbike all season. You might get 4 or 5 months on average in the US. From the quotes above, I think the percentage is closer to 33% higher per 100,000, but it's a higher number given the number of motorbikes on the road vs cars. Not to mention the fact that roadside medical care is virtually non-existent here. There's a spike in the number of drunk drivers in the US during holidays such as New Years, high school graduation, and any holiday as well.

Judging by the comments some have made, it seems some people have an axe to grind. Either that or too much time on their hands :o

There are higher % of accident reports in US than in Thailand. If a person, particularly a motorbike rider is injured in Thailand, and that person is able to drive away, it's doubtful that person would go to the police station to file a report. Reports can take hours. I know, as I've done a couple in the past. Ditto for compound hassles with insurance claims. In lieu of that, I'd venture the real road accident rate for Thailand is considerably higher than the 18 per 100,000 mentioned.

Similarly, there's an oft quoted statistic that the US has the 2nd largest prisoner/per capita population in the world (after S.Africa). That stat is used to prove how lawless the US must be, but more realistically, that stat reflects the effectiveness of law enforcement in the US. As a comparison: Pakistan or Congo (and dozens of other lawless places) have murders and rapes every second, yet the perpetrators don't wind up in prison, because law enforcement in those places is virtually non-existent.

Edited by brahmburgers

So much talk about how to change or not to change people's attitude.

A local majority seems not to have an intention for 'improvements' - so: why even try a mission impossible?

Better change our own attitude and adapt. I saw many comments of staying at home: good solution until the fridge is empty.

And everyone here seems to know the 'weaknesses' of Thai drivers, so it should be easy to be prepared for it and to avoid the most dangerous situations. Obviously we can not avoid that others die or get injured. So look after ourselves first. Isn't it somehow 'survival of the fittest' in a high tech environment? To all these people who know-it-all I say: You never made a scratch to your own vehicle? Prove first that you are superiour before you judge others. And what was your own approach to improve - apart from just talking about it.

Maybe someone finds a statistic of the share of foreigners in traffic accidents in Thailand. And to end with a positive statement: It could be worse -

WHO468.gif

It seems safest to live as a long distance truck driver on Wake Island.

My Thai lady is like most Thais in that she cannot accept any adverse comments or perceived critisism of Thailand, Thai culture.

Thai whatever.

i suggested to her that the water throwing was dangerous, in many cases nasty and for a lot of people inconvenient and not fun.

Her reply is that it was songkran and that people were enjoying themselves and water throwing is what people do.

So whereas they perhaps care about the fatalities and accidents on the roads, they are not prepared to do much about it. Drinking is a big part of Thai lifestyle and i dont suppose they are going to stop any time soon.

And everyone here seems to know the 'weaknesses' of Thai drivers, so it should be easy to be prepared for it and to avoid the most dangerous situations.

not so easy to prepare for it, especially in such situations as taking a left turn from side road, looking right (for oncoming traffic), beginning to ease around the corner and along comes Somchai - zzzzwaaang - going 40 Km/hr on the wrong side of the road, and misses you by about 3 mm, and doesn't bat an eye.

To all these people who know-it-all I say: Prove first that you are superiour before you judge others.

And what was your own approach to improve - apart from just talking about it(?)

I don't think about it as proving I'm superior, but since you're broaching those words, I'll go ahead and say it: "I am a superior driver - compared to Thais." Here's the proof: I'm courteous, I'm patient, I obey the rules of the road, I stop to allow other cars to pass in a tight space, I stop to allow pedestrians to cross the road (even when Thai drivers beep behind me), I slow for yellow lights, I stop for red lights, I pull over for emergency vehicles, I put on my seatbelt, I use my mirrors ....should I go on? If you want to call that superior, go ahead. I could call it that.

My Thai lady is like most Thais in that she cannot accept any adverse comments or perceived critisism of Thailand, Thai culture.

Thai whatever.

i suggested to her that the water throwing was dangerous, in many cases nasty and for a lot of people inconvenient and not fun.

Her reply is that it was songkran and that people were enjoying themselves and water throwing is what people do.

So whereas they perhaps care about the fatalities and accidents on the roads, they are not prepared to do much about it.

Drinking is a big part of Thai lifestyle and i dont suppose they are going to stop any time soon.

Over an above the cradle to grave sugar addiction here,

which ties directly to a love of alcohol based sugars when adult,

while in the arms of a good drunk is the ONLY time when Thais, particularly the males,

are give any kind of pass for letting out negative emotions towards others or their lot in life.

Without this socially sanctioned pressure valve, there would likely be MUCH greater numbers

of depression caused by unavoidable self-repression, and the periodic 'Going Postal' that often accompanies it.

Sugar prevalence across the society just sets the stage for alcohol abuse in off times.

It just makes that first drink seem an instant happiness; the 'sugar jones' lessens.

Good luck removing the decompression valve of a whole society....

Lets stop whining and crying about what Thais do. Their system or lack of it works for them. If one is so worried about drunk driving head on back home and then remember why you couldn't wait to move to Thailand.

Getting to grips with Thai culture is a case of peeling back the layers of an onion - there're countless numbers of layers to get through. The above opinion reflects the very first stage of seeing the onion in the ground before its even picked-up and held in the hand :o .

Those of us who have peeled back a few layers realise that Thais have their own way of doing things regardless of the rules and workings of a system that they adopt into their culture. Consequently, Songkran is one of those times of the year to avoid the roads unless absolutely necessary; virtually any thoughts for others go straight out the window and the death toll totally overshadows minor wars between countries (how many died on both sides during Israel's counter attack on Palestine's daily rocket barrage? A lot less than Thailand's festive death tally! :D )

Giving a motorcycle to a 10 year old is insane

YES!!!

and people who allow or support that should get locked-up in jail!!!!!!

Arrrh! The voice of reason! Yes my children, it's called cause and effect! Just as children shouldn't be given loaded firearms to play with - supervised or not, so they shouldn't be allowed to use/abuse other examples of weapons of death and mahem when in the wrong hands. :o

Apparently, this is rocket science to some of the posters above and one can feel the breeze as this concept whistles over their heads! Still, Darwin has a theory on these people and the figures of road kill over New Year and the 'Thai' New Year (Songkran) only serve as one more prime example out of Thailand! :D Love the people in general but much as we British are famous for our lack of co-ordination on the dance floor, so the Thais are similarly in need of help when it comes to implementing an adopted system such as the use of manned motor vehicles.

• 2 years later...

Judging by the comments some have made, it seems some people have an axe to grind. Either that or too much time on their hands cool.gif

There are higher % of accident reports in US than in Thailand. If a person, particularly a motorbike rider is injured in Thailand, and that person is able to drive away, it's doubtful that person would go to the police station to file a report. Reports can take hours. I know, as I've done a couple in the past. Ditto for compound hassles with insurance claims. In lieu of that, I'd venture the real road accident rate for Thailand is considerably higher than the 18 per 100,000 mentioned.

Similarly, there's an oft quoted statistic that the US has the 2nd largest prisoner/per capita population in the world (after S.Africa). That stat is used to prove how lawless the US must be, but more realistically, that stat reflects the effectiveness of law enforcement in the US. As a comparison: Pakistan or Congo (and dozens of other lawless places) have murders and rapes every second, yet the perpetrators don't wind up in prison, because law enforcement in those places is virtually non-existent.

I think accident rates are under reported everywhere. Unlike Thailand, where folks don't have an issue using their auto insurance, there are MANY drivers in the US who will settle an accident without involving police or insurance because of the much higher deductibles and insurance rates that can go up considerably after an accident in the US .. not to mention the large number of uninsured drivers in the US.

As for injuries and deaths, I believe these may be reported by hospitals or insurance companies when it comes to yearly stats. Many people decide to go to a hospital after an accident just as many die after the day of the accident.

Just for clarifications .. The US has the highest rate for prisoners per capita. South Africa is not even close and Thailand actually has a very high rate too ranking 27th out of 219 countries ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate

I am the one from this dry statistic. Got motorbike accident on 12 April, still can't walk sad.gif

:-( sorry to hear. I hope you recover soon.

One would certainly hope so given the date he posted. biggrin.png

I am the one from this dry statistic. Got motorbike accident on 12 April, still can't walk sad.gif

:-( sorry to hear. I hope you recover soon.

One would certainly hope so given the date he posted. biggrin.png

LOL - not sure how I got in this thread .. i thought it was a current one.