Ministry To Ban Alcohol Next Songkran

george

Ministry to ban alcohol next Songkran

BANGKOK: -- Unhappy with the continuing high road casualties over Songkran, Deputy Public Health Minister Manit Nopamornbodi yesterday vowed to promote a ban on alcohol sales during the festival next year.

The number of deaths and accidents indicated that the campaign against drunken driving had failed, he said.

Deaths were up by five from last year, but there were 471 fewer injuries and 266 fewer accidents.

-- The Nation 2009-04-19

Doesn't someone from some ministry always come out every year and say that we'll do this next year and it never happens?

It's a disgrace that there's so many fatalities on the roads over Songkran each year.

I suspect it's a form of ethnic cleansing because if they really wanted to they could easily enact to stop the carnage.

Any death is one too many.

And my sister in law was gravely injured at 6:30 am

on beginning of last years Songkran.

But that said the numbers are not the high if compared to

Labor Day or 4th of July weekends in USA.

Under 400 deaths nation wide for 64 million people is statistically low.

And at least accidents and injuries were down a good bit.

Not to belittle attempts top lower those rates further still of course.

So it has been said year after year... What else is new? lol.

This is typical 'Thai' mentality. Whenever there's a problem that proves a little too challenging for them to tackle, it gets banned. Some real problem solvers they've got here...

Banning the sale of alcohol isn't going to make the problem go away. Thais love to drink as much as they love to gamble. Unfortunately, moderation isn't a part of their vocabulary. Call it a flaw in the native gene pool, a mental illness or whatever you like. Has anybody actually met a real Thai person who doesn't overindulge? I haven't. Maybe I've been hanging out with the wrong crowd. :o

BANGKOK: -- Unhappy with the continuing high road casualties over Songkran, Deputy Public Health Minister Manit Nopamornbodi yesterday vowed to promote a ban on alcohol sales during the festival next year.

The number of deaths and accidents indicated that the campaign against drunken driving had failed, he said.

Deaths were up by five from last year, but there were 471 fewer injuries and 266 fewer accidents.

-- The Nation 2009-04-19

Exactly what was their "campaign against drunken driving? Suggest people not do it. What a joke. Laws need to actually be enforced before they can be effective.

I drove almost to Chiang Mai and back during Songkran. Passed about 60-70 police checkpoints. NOT ONE was functioning. Never saw a policeman. As close as I came was being slowed down in a major checkpoint by the military when getting close to Bangkok!

The drunk driving campaign is largely nothing more than a show. With a great deal of the offenders on motorcycles, all they need to do is turn around--and there is no pursuit of them.

Maybe they should consider outlawing driving and let people drink!

I have been going full bore Song Kran here in Pattaya and after what I have seen its amazing the death tally is so low.

Everyone is driving drunk. The motocy taxi guys are easily double the legal limit, i just get on and close my eyes :o

I personally have been almost run over twice, been close to a dozen altercations w thai/farang alike for doing nothing, had a thai guy

threaten to hit me with a brick, the list goes on, thank God only one more day

Its like a mix of the best human interaction (friendliness etc) that can turn violent in a second.

All in all a great time though :D

I have been going full bore Song Kran here in Pattaya and after what I have seen its amazing the death tally is so low.

Everyone is driving drunk. The motocy taxi guys are easily double the legal limit, i just get on and close my eyes :o

I personally have been almost run over twice, been close to a dozen altercations w thai/farang alike for doing nothing, had a thai guy

Its like a mix of the best human interaction (friendliness etc) that can turn violent in a second.

I stayed home. All festive periods are a time of natural selection - the wise live longer while the foolish perishes. That's Evolution at work.

Does anybody really think that they are going to forgo the excise tax on alcohol during a festive period just to save a few lives?

-- The Nation 2009-04-19

What is the legal limit in Thailand?

do you mean alcohol limit on driving?

It depends who you are, which job you have, which army or police rank you hold and what car you drive..... more can be added

do you mean alcohol limit on driving?

It depends who you are, which job you have, which army or police rank you hold and what car you drive..... more can be added

That is very true, its a love/hate relationship between the thais and corruption.

Love it when they get to buy of a couple of policement

Hate it when politicians like thaksin steals their money.

Ban alcohol, don't ban it, I don't care. I am really starting to hate Songkran (boorish behaviour, traffic accidents) and I'll sky-up next year before the infamous "traditional" holiday begins.

Back to the original point, I really can't imagine an alcohol ban being strictly enforced. They could close down a few bars and restrict sales at Tesco, Carrefour and other major retailers, but the Mom and Pop shops would certainly enjoy a surge in business :D

It's their country and they will decide what the solution is. In the mean time, I'll just shuffle along and vote with my feet.

PS-For the record, farangs are guility of some of the most Songkran excesses :o

I drove almost to Chiang Mai and back during Songkran. Passed about 60-70 police checkpoints. NOT ONE was functioning. Never saw a policeman. As close as I came was being slowed down in a major checkpoint by the military when getting close to Bangkok!

The drunk driving campaign is largely nothing more than a show. With a great deal of the offenders on motorcycles, all they need to do is turn around--and there is no pursuit of them.

In Chontaburi they had one of those cardboard policeman set up in the middle of an intersection all day with a big sign "Warning- alcohol and driving check here every night 21.00 - 03.00". It looked very effective.

So it has been said year after year... What else is new? lol.

This is typical 'Thai' mentality. Whenever there's a problem that proves a little too challenging for them to tackle, it gets banned. Some real problem solvers they've got here...

Banning the sale of alcohol isn't going to make the problem go away. Thais love to drink as much as they love to gamble. Unfortunately, moderation isn't a part of their vocabulary. Call it a flaw in the native gene pool, a mental illness or whatever you like. Has anybody actually met a real Thai person who doesn't overindulge? I haven't. Maybe I've been hanging out with the wrong crowd. :o

Very astute comments. The over indulgence is a genetic / mental defect in Thai people.

Had one here in Buriram with police enjoying themselves. Didn't seem to have any effect and was never working after lunchtime.

Everyone is driving drunk. The motocy taxi guys are easily double the legal limit, i just get on and close my eyes :D

I stayed home. All festive periods are a time of natural selection - the wise live longer while the foolish perishes. That's Evolution at work.

Pattaya is mind numbingly stupid at this time. Utter madness.

I like that about natural selection.

you know if nthey really wanted to cut down on the drink driving deaths over songkran there is a very simple soloution, make songkran 1 day on the 13th back to work on the 14, job done only carnage for 1 day!! Like in the uk new years eve you still have to go to work and have newyears day off!! Quiet simple !

Under 400 deaths nation wide for 64 million people is statistically low

Over a few days? What nonsense.

The UK has around 1000 deaths per annum and there's far more cars on the roads there.

But that said the numbers are not the high if compared to

Labor Day or 4th of July weekends in USA.

But there are millions more people and millions upon millions more vehicles in the USA.

Don't forget the Thai statistics do not include all deaths, only certain fatalities are counted.

Cost them a lot less to ban booze at Songran that it does to police the roads properly.

Why should everyone suffer like te people who gather round busy places to play anddon't drive?

What they should do is get thetraffic cops out in force and impose really scary fines, like 30-50k, on anyone caught behind the wheel during Songran, with any amount of drink in them.

If they can't pay fine then jail them. If they kill someone jail them for 15 years.

Basically scare the hel_l out of them and they will think twice about having any drink.

great that gives them a whole year to change their mind

I hear you yumidesign, not only a year to change their minds, but a year to change Ministry several time over. My guess is this current Ministry will be gone within 3 or 4 months. OVER to you all.

As I on Saturday was going home from work and saw a MC with two young kids on it zip trough a 4-way intersection with full red light and cars starting to accelerate from the left and right sides I thought to myself that a lof of the people killed are done so due to their own fault. It's the innocent ones I morn. Usually victims of drunk car drivers. Drunk MC drivers are merely natures way of cleaning away the unsuitable.

If only there was some way to instill traffic safety and sanity into drivers...and perhaps force people to take a test of value before being given a permission to drive...and it should be required for both car and mc drivers...o-well, one day...

Ban alcohol, don't ban it, I don't care. I am really starting to hate Songkran (boorish behaviour, traffic accidents) and I'll sky-up next year before the infamous "traditional" holiday begins.

Back to the original point, I really can't imagine an alcohol ban being strictly enforced. They could close down a few bars and restrict sales at Tesco, Carrefour and other major retailers, but the Mom and Pop shops would certainly enjoy a surge in business :D

It's their country and they will decide what the solution is. In the mean time, I'll just shuffle along and vote with my feet.

PS-For the record, farangs are guility of some of the most Songkran excesses :o

It doesn't matter if they ban buying alcohol over songkran, cause there will just be record sales on the booze a couple of days before. The Thais will just fill the back of the pick up with alcohol and relatives then head off to their home village

Since most of the deaths are motorbike related then why not

tell them to park up the bikes for a week.

Don't ban the drink - ban the bike.

No-one would miss the noisy things. And a wee walk would do

the population the world of good.

Good idea? (I hope so, as I like a Songkhran bevvy!)