Renewal Of Driving Licence

jamesjdaly

I have 5 year driving licence which expires in the next few months. In order to get a new 5 year one, do I simply go to the Driving Licence centre in Morchit and get a new one, or is it a long drawn out process with wheelbarrow loads of wasted Brazilian rain forest?!!

Would they want to see a new certificate of residence from my embassy?

Thanx

I have 5 year driving licence which expires in the next few months. In order to get a new 5 year one, do I simply go to the Driving Licence centre in Morchit and get a new one, or is it a long drawn out process with wheelbarrow loads of wasted Brazilian rain forest?!!

Would they want to see a new certificate of residence from my embassy?

Thanx

There are several things that you will need, for starter, when I did my five year Jan 09, I need a doctor certification. copy of passport, with visa stamp page, the yellow book(proof on home address), by also check a thread: Renewal Thai 5 Year Driving Licence

Edited by BigSnake

Moonrakers just make sure that you let your old licence run out first before applying for a new one. If it is still in date then they will only give you another one year one. Strange but true...OIT.

HL :D

That is true for changing from an expiring 1 year license to a 5 year one, but there may be a difference between that and renewing a 5 year license.

Some people have posted that you can apply up to 3 months before the 5 year expires and others up to 12 months after. Several posters gave no indication of whether or not the 5 year had expired when they got it renewed, unfortunately.

As you say: TiT :o

Moonrakers just make sure that you let your old licence run out first before applying for a new one. If it is still in date then they will only give you another one year one. Strange but true...OIT.

HL :D

That is true for changing from an expiring 1 year license to a 5 year one, but there may be a difference between that and renewing a 5 year license.

Some people have posted that you can apply up to 3 months before the 5 year expires and others up to 12 months after. Several posters gave no indication of whether or not the 5 year had expired when they got it renewed, unfortunately.

As you say: TiT :o

I have just renewed my 5 year licence. It was not due for renewal until June. I had no problem with the renewal. Go to licence office then they will send you to immigration to get proof of residence letter then back to get your photo taken and get your new licence. I've heard of guys having to get a medical but in my case I wasn't asked for one.

Good Luck.

When I got my 1 year I asked one of the staff there about renewal to get the 5 year and was told it could be done 3 months before the 1 year was expired.

What people say and what people do can be quite different. :o

Nearly all posters here have had to wait until the 1 year had expired before getting the 5 year.

However, this thread is about renewing a 5 year and we haven't had many reports from people doing that that included whether their 5 year had already expired.

a bit off topic so sorry for the interruption.

don't have a thai licence but would like to get one. my home country licence expired years ago. never had a thai licence before.

what procedures / hoops do I need to jump through in order to obtain one?

FYI, I did try calling the department but can never get through on the phone so hence my query to you fine folk.

cheers