Is Thailand Safe?

mmrooms

I've read on the papers that lately has been some troubles in thailand... Unfortuantely news were pretty generic so I don't know for sure why people are protesting and what will happen, but I read that many riots and shootings were involved...

I'm coming this august to train in Muay Thai but I'm worried about the bangkok airport being blocked again or me getting shot by cops/demostrants, since our local embassy forbid to travel to thailand for now....

Do you think that my embassy concerns are founded, or shall I come to thailand without problem?

If you are coming here to learn Muay Thai then odds are you will end up in a fight... :o

edit: oh yeah, i forgot to answer your question. you are fine, Thailand is harmless (except in the ring of course, they are dangerous).

Edited by mrt273nva

I've read on the papers that lately has been some troubles in thailand... Unfortuantely news were pretty generic so I don't know for sure why people are protesting and what will happen, but I read that many riots and shootings were involved...

I'm coming this august to train in Muay Thai but I'm worried about the bangkok airport being blocked again or me getting shot by cops/demostrants, since our local embassy forbid to travel to thailand for now....

Do you think that my embassy concerns are founded, or shall I come to thailand without problem?

you have to be very carefull ,over 300 killed already!!.

oh forgot sonkran is over,the roads are back to normal,far less dead every week :o

Welcome! You will be fine.

The shootings are vastly exaggerated by the press, the only shootings involved people in the protest. If you don't plan on joining the protest ( if another one comes up) then you have no problems. No foreigners were shot or injured in the protest that I heard of.

Enjoy yourself and good luck with the Muay Thai.

Keep a low profile, be polite and ALWAYS wear a raincoat and you will be fine!

Martian

embassy forbid to travel to thailand for now....

Which country is this that has an Embassy forbidding travel to Thailand?

Italy. Btw they are not totally forbidding visits to thailand, they just told me that they refuse to give you help if you're in trouble and they refuse to give an aid with the papers.

Thailand is safe as every hotel safe-box in your room, where the management wrote that funny sign telling you that they will decline any responsability on what will happen to whatever you put in that safe or leave in your room, here you just have to see things on a bigger scale and the "management" wont tell you anything.... :o

Italy. Btw they are not totally forbidding visits to thailand, they just told me that they refuse to give you help if you're in trouble and they refuse to give an aid with the papers.

Thank you for both the specificity of country and further clarification on what they said.

Wooo, “refuse to give you help if you're in trouble and they refuse to give an aid with the papers”

I would change my nationality from Italian to anything else if this is true.

Oh don’t worry about Thailand it probably safer than Italy

Wooo, "refuse to give you help if you're in trouble and they refuse to give an aid with the papers"

Oh don't worry about Thailand it probably safer than Italy

First you are offensive towards italian people, second other european countries are following the same line.

Without wishing to give offence, I'd say that this refusal to help you if you need it says more about the Italian government, than about the situation here in Thailand, and that you should look forward to a good safe trip here ! Welcome ! :o

Edited by Ricardo

Wooo, "refuse to give you help if you're in trouble and they refuse to give an aid with the papers"

First you are offensive towards italian people, second other european countries are following the same line.

Canadam USA and Australia have similiar wordings with emphasis on avoiding travel to Bangkok. Please bear in mind that the foreign affairs folks are speaking with the intent of making it clear to idiots without common sense that travel. If you are responsible and use your head (the cranium not the one in your pants) you will be fine. I was in Bangkok with ASEAN summit people at the Novotel and not one protest or hint of problems. This is Thai on Thai fighting and visitors are left alone.

I don't feel offended.Any country is safe if you keep out of troubles,and i think nobody would go to Baghdad,or Darfur,or Gaza strip for Holidays :o .About the Embassies,i don't think any European,or western Embassy are glad to give you any help if you are a nobody with no money.(i'm a nobody with little money btw,and i try my best to stay out of troubles,in my country as well)I live in LOS 5 years now,and give the pros and cons,quality of life is better here.(No,i don't live in BKK,and i'm not married.Thanks God) :D

Its ok now but that may change in the future.... and very like it will......

Calm before a possible storm..........but don't let that stop you from coming here. I would, however, avoid Bangkok and Pattaya-Jomtien and head for Phuket.

You probably know it is hotter than hel_l here right now. Why a person would want to travel to Thailand now is a mystery to me. Nov. 15 to Jan. 15 is a good time to be here.......good weather.

But maybe you live in northern Siberia.......in which case it makes sense :o

Calm before a possible storm..........but don't let that stop you from coming here. I would, however, avoid Bangkok and Pattaya-Jomtien and head for Phuket.

You probably know it is hotter than hel_l here right now. Why a person would want to travel to Thailand now is a mystery to me. Nov. 15 to Jan. 15 is a good time to be here.......good weather.

Sound advice - NOT !

So, come to Thailand but avoid the two main tourist areas. Oh, by the way only visit during the winter otherwise it might be a bit warm !

If the OP is coming to train Muay Thai he shouldn't worry about sweating a bit, or taking on the minefields and war-zones that are Bangkok/Pattaya/Jomtien. :o

For the most part I think you will be a OK, just go about whatever you have to do, and do the common sense things, like avoid crowd, talking politics with the locals. However, will the Airport be block again(?) Hmmmmmm!! Good question, my guess NO. Now traffic jams getting you to and from your Muay training session yes, traffic jams are pretty much the norm in and around Bangkok, otherwise I hope you will have a most enjoyable stay in the land of smiles. Good Luck on the Muay Thai training, let us know how it goes. :o

Phuket??? Place to go for sure if you are into some SERIOUS price gouging!! The taxi fares in Phuket make the Pattaya / Jomtien baht bus co-operative look like true darlings!

Phuket??? Place to go for sure if you are into some SERIOUS price gouging!! The taxi fares in Phuket make the Pattaya / Jomtien baht bus co-operative look like true darlings!

Lenny, the Baht bus's in Pattaya are as you put it "darlings" it's a great system.

It's not expensive here if you use your head and public transport, I can get on a bus from Kathu,about a 15 minute ride and I'm in Patong for 15 Baht. the only downside is that they stop running at 1800.

As for Tahiland being safe, it's as safe as any country so long as you use your head like never curse at or infont of a Thai person, they may not speak English but may well have picked up on the bad words that most Tourists use freely, if they hear you use bad language and pick up on it, they will think it's directed at them and will take offence to it,especially if you are bartering for a Tuk Tuk ride.

Remember most of all that YOU are the visitor/farang NOT them and always remember the Thai culture, be POLITE at all times and you will be fine, you will love it here. WELCOME TO THE LAND OF SMILES

I do not think that that is offensive to Italians Thailand is safer than Italy especially the Driving.

The Italians are the noisiest and most aggressive people that come on Holiday but the Expats that live here are the opposite, no wonder they are trying to get away from the ones that come on holiday I dont know if its true that Portugal & Italy are the 3rd world countries of Europe but the best thing to come out of Italy is the Food & Pinot Grigio oh and maybe some of those Red & Yellow sports cars that nobody can afford. On second thoughts they are as noisy as the Holiday Makers mind you Harleys are noisy Americans well thats another story.

I do not think that that is offensive to Italians Thailand is safer than Italy especially the Driving.

The Italians are the noisiest and most aggressive people that come on Holiday but the Expats that live here are the opposite, no wonder they are trying to get away from the ones that come on holiday I dont know if its true that Portugal & Italy are the 3rd world countries of Europe but the best thing to come out of Italy is the Food & Pinot Grigio oh and maybe some of those Red & Yellow sports cars that nobody can afford. On second thoughts they are as noisy as the Holiday Makers mind you Harleys are noisy Americans well thats another story.

......sorry Mr McHooligan, but if you really have to post some non-sense would you mind to make it at least sound funny so we can have a laugh at your sentences? now it's not even that.... :o

I agree that Italians can be noisy when they are in a large group,but the same can be said of any other nationality.Aggressive?I don't think so!If in Thailand driving is safer than Italy,i wonder if you know the score.About food and wine,i totally agree with you :o