Fees Charged For Private Classes?

costas

Hi all,

i have a job as a Maths teacher in an EP program in issan.

I have been approached from a few of my students who want extra classes in groups of 4-5 people.

I am wondering what is an appropriate fee that i could charge, and how would this be, i.e. per person/per hour, per group per hour etc.

As a point of reference, the school charges those students 35k per year for participation in the EP

any answers would be very helpful and greatly appreciated

thanks

costas

...and the rate you charge, silly me!

Thanks for that,

what i would like though i not to ask for something silly in terms of their capability to pay me.

i might want 1000/head/hour but i think that would be unrealistic....

thats why i ask for other peoples 'range' of charging etc...

cheers

costas

Hi all,

i have a job as a Maths teacher in an EP program in issan.

I have been approached from a few of my students who want extra classes in groups of 4-5 people.

I am wondering what is an appropriate fee that i could charge, and how would this be, i.e. per person/per hour, per group per hour etc.

As a point of reference, the school charges those students 35k per year for participation in the EP

any answers would be very helpful and greatly appreciated

thanks

costas

Hi Costas,

Regarding the fees you can charge, I normally charge 200 baht per student/hour. Seeing that you have 4-5 students thet will give you 800 to 1000 baht an hour. This rate is what I charge in Bangkok. You can reduce the price to what you think the Students can afford.

Good Luck.

Tas.

Hi Costas,

Regarding the fees you can charge, I normally charge 200 baht per student/hour. Seeing that you have 4-5 students thet will give you 800 to 1000 baht an hour. This rate is what I charge in Bangkok. You can reduce the price to what you think the Students can afford.

Good Luck.

Tas.

Hi Tas,

this is very useful information,

thank you very much

costas :o

It depends how you want to do it, a fixed rate regardless of class size, or x amount per student, or a semi-set amount (say 500 Baht) for one on one, but then 2 students would only have to pay 600, 3 would pay 700 etc.

It depends how you like to 'sell' your services and what you feel most comfortable with!

I do a private class with three students (all good students) and they 'chip in' with each other to pay my fee and that amounts to $10 for about fifty minutes. They sometimes invite friends along but I'm not greedy enough to charge nore when this happens.

More than anything else I like them and they (seem to) like me and I do enjoy teaching them.

Also bear in mind Thais like to deal, and bargain a bit and like to think they're getting a good deal. So maybe you could do the first 10 hours a bit cheaper (you know so they can make sure you're good) but then wack it up once they've seen how good you are etc.

Just work it and do whatever you feel comfortable with. I know I'm not worth much more than 400-500 Baht an hour, if that. If you're confident that you are good, charge accordingly. But if you're paid a good amount of money you should put in a good amount of work!

Also depends on how much they can afford etc. and try to think of the long term rather (as most Thai schools seem to do here) the short term. So yeah you might earn 700 Baht an hour for the next 30 hours, but if you charge them a tad less you might get 400 or 500 Baht for the next 60 hours etc. Although I'm not sure if this will apply in your case.