Buying A 2e Hand Car In Cr

erg

Can someone explain to me why cars in Thai, keep their value for so long, I remember the last car i bought was 38 years old and still i paid 50.000 bath. In holland i pay a lot less for old cars.

I am looking to buy a car in September, PICKUP, TWO DOORS, SECOND BENCH, APROXX 6 YEARS OLD, Toyota Nissan or Michibichi. What prices am i looking at.

Can someone explain to me why cars in Thai, keep their value for so long, I remember the last car i bought was 38 years old and still i paid 50.000 bath. In holland i pay a lot less for old cars.

I am looking to buy a car in September, PICKUP, TWO DOORS, SECOND BENCH, APROXX 6 YEARS OLD, Toyota Nissan or Michibichi. What prices am i looking at.

I would have thought a 38 year old car in Europe would be expensive if in good condition, the odd times I flick trough UK cars I find that cars of this age cost the same or more than the new price 38 years ago.

As for a 6 yr old pickup

You can check prices yourself here is just one site of about 10 in Thailand

http://www.one2car.com/

There's plenty of used car yards along the SuperHighway. Shopping around could reveal a bargain but then you may find yourself running into the "Farang price syndrome".

I'm here for the long haul so I bought a new Isuzu pick up 5 years ago and haven't been able to fault it in any way.

• 2 months later...

Just watch out for the Chevrolet dealer on the 'Super Highway' North bound. Very high prices and high interest rates for their loans. I bought a 99 Ford Ranger from them. A dual cab with canopy, Blue with tinted windows. You might have seen me raging down the 'Super highway'. Anyway, the price was 370,000B. very pricey compared to back home but it was in pretty much mint condition with only 80 something K on the clock.

I looked at the Isuzu range and knowing something about cars they were not the pick [second hand ones that is]. They were totally thrashed. Also Ford in CR are very good even though I had to tell then what was wrong with it when the glow system failed. Prices were very reasonable as well.

As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Just watch those older Isuzu's like the TFR. A lot of the ones I saw had the rocker cover and top of the head pushed up against the fire wall causing a lot of damage. I would pick Ford, Mazda, Isuzu, Toyota in that order. Mitsubishi is out of the question as they are too expensive for repair work and don't seem as reliable. Just watch the Toyota Diesel's with w 2L motor as these would never have had their timing belts changed and when they go it's time for a new motor. If I was there I could have gone with you to look for a good car.

Lastly, I think the used car prices stay inflated in Thailand because most people can't afford to buy new and there is a big market with sellers trying to recoup their money or make a big profit. Car dealerships that is mostly. Check out some of the private classifieds online. I can't remember where but I did see some bargains with 1 or 2 year old cars. Even cheaper than mine.

Edited by turbotojo