Wooden Furniture And Carved Wood

LazyCat

Looking to but the furniture for my home I really like teak for it's smell and it would remind me of Thailand, I was thinking to go to ChiangMai for shopping to buy all that I need for home decor and furniture, but remember when I was there last time it was more pricey than bangkok or I just don't know where to look for???

Help would be appreciated!

Looking to but the furniture for my home I really like teak for it's smell and it would remind me of Thailand, I was thinking to go to ChiangMai for shopping to buy all that I need for home decor and furniture, but remember when I was there last time it was more pricey than bangkok or I just don't know where to look for???

Help would be appreciated!

I agree with you on prices, I have heard that go to the towns near the border which has the factory. I am going up in June to check it out.

If he is looking for Carved Teak Furniture then he should check some shops at the entrance to Bor Song. if he goes to some of the border towns then he will need to arrange for the furniture to be finished. The last time I checked at the border town the furniture on sale was not properly sanded or finished.

I've bought teak furniture from a man that ships most of what he makes to shops in Pattaya.  I pay about half of what the furniture is selling for in shops in Bosang and Ban-Tawai.  He has a house in Bosang.  If you are interested, PM me and I can supply contacts.  

Guys I'm a girl :o

Dean1953 PMed you waiting for you to reply.

I am looking for finished stuff... I was also in Bangkok on the road that sells all the wooden stuff... it's had a name that has something to do with wood it thai.. don't remember now...still pricey... and some things are also not finished... at least I would like to but carved teak panel big one maybe like 2.5 by 2.5 meter, want to use is as a room separation and for headboard of the bed... I love the carved things...

also was thinking to buy teak for the floors...

ps. that very nice site has no prices on it when I was there like 4 years ago it was quite empty and I really did not find much , maybe it was just opening then and different now now but water hyacinth bed was about 35000 bht which I did not find to be quite affordable, and I don't know what's Bor Song :D

Edited by LazyCat

There is really no easy answer to this one! There are matters of taste and quality which are your own. An additional complication in Thailand is the illegal trade in teak.

I agree that Bantawai is a good place to start, but, yes, there will be a markup. Hey, you can't get everything wholesale, so to speak!

One --- not to exclude other craftsmen --- from whom I have purchased his "stock" designs as well as having him built some custom stuff is Insorn Norkaew. He stands in back of his work and fixes stuff that is broken, if you happen to have elephants over for dinner. I know of two acquaintances, just casually, who are quite happy with his work. Not cheap!

191/42-43 Bantawai, T. Nong Kaew, A. Hang Dong, Chiang Mai 50230. Speaks English: 01-9934423.

Edited by Mapguy

I'd agree that a trip to Bantawai would be a good start, to see what you are interested in and how much it costs. The person that has supplied me in Bosang with carved teak furniture (along with various types of teak patio furniture and a teak desk) is Mr. Lek. He doesn't speak much English, so I would suggest calling Ketsunee Suriyang (0899516013), a friend of mine for 8 years. Her office is close to Mr. Lek's house in Bosang and, besides her contact with Mr. Lek, she knows other craftsmen, like the person that carved, out of a large teak slab, an elaborate jungle scene that was built into a wall at my house.

As a side note, when I started to look for craftsmen in Chiang Mai 8-9 years ago, I asked taxi drivers to take me to some of the places that sell Thai handicrafts. I did this twice and got them to take me to the gem stores, silver makers, etc. that they were getting commissions from. I then started asking people that worked at the Sunday market. That is where I met Ketsunee and her knowlege over the years, particularly in building my house, has been very hepful.

ha ha ha ha I also once took a tuktuk and asked for furniture and teak stuff the journey was something... after he took us to all those useless ( to me) places we even managed to buy some lacqueware he was maaaad at me and payment of 100Bht. did not make him happy either.... no more tuktuk rides for me :o

What's BOSANG ?

what are the prices that I should be considered ok ? something as an example, whatever you can think of, that you think you hve purchased with a great value

I've bought teak furniture from a man that ships most of what he makes to shops in Pattaya.  I pay about half of what the furniture is selling for in shops in Bosang and Ban-Tawai.  He has a house in Bosang.  If you are interested, PM me and I can supply contacts.  

I've never worked this PM thing out, but i'd be reallly interested to know where this man lives! I used to know a few places like this six years ago when thinking of doing a business, but i've forgotten how to get to the places now.

Sorry, now seen the rest of the thread!

Edited by femi fan

ha ha ha ha I also once took a tuktuk and asked for furniture and teak stuff the journey was something... after he took us to all those useless ( to me) places we even managed to buy some lacqueware he was maaaad at me and payment of 100Bht. did not make him happy either.... no more tuktuk rides for me :o

What's BOSANG ?

what are the prices that I should be considered ok ? something as an example, whatever you can think of, that you think you hve purchased with a great value

Bosang, better known as Bor Sang, is a handicraft village about hafway between Chiang Mai and San Kamphaeng. It is most famous for its umbrella making, but there are lots of other handicraft places, including furniture shops, around that area (along the "old San Kamphaeng road", 1006).

/ Priceless