Caught Smuggling At Suvarnabhumi

timsarus

A friend of mine despite all the recent turmoil in Thailand decided to come to the LOS anyway. I had told him how nice it was, can you imagine my horror when he was separated from 20,000THB by the customs on arrival. His offence was bringing in 600 Regal kingsize for his 3 week stay as he wasnt sure he would get them here. I think this is a terrible way to treat tourists especially at a time when tourism is down. I also believe he isnt the only victim.

600 means 3 cartons? at say roughly usd15 per carton, his total cost was approx usd45? I asume you are talking about Regal cigarettes?

Now, he paid 20,000baht which is approx USD570. It can't be "duty" only, so perhaps it included a fine for non-declaration over the duty free entitlement?

I am surprised that he actually paid the thb20k but wouldn't it have been better to just let them confiscate the excess and bring in the allowed duty free amount of one carton? Or was he so arrogant to think that laws can be broken becasue Thailand ought to be grateful that he has decided to grace these shores with his presence?

Just be grateful he wasn't rude to the customs officers :o

600 means 3 cartons? at say roughly usd15 per carton, his total cost was approx usd45? I asume you are talking about Regal cigarettes?

Now, he paid 20,000baht which is approx USD570. It can't be "duty" only, so perhaps it included a fine for non-declaration over the duty free entitlement?

I am surprised that he actually paid the thb20k but wouldn't it have been better to just let them confiscate the excess and bring in the allowed duty free amount of one carton? Or was he so arrogant to think that laws can be broken becasue Thailand ought to be grateful that he has decided to grace these shores with his presence?

Just be grateful he wasn't rude to the customs officers :o

Yes 3 cartons and they were confiscated aswell. He paid because he had no choice.

Fairly simple if you check the Thai customs website. You have a 200 cigarette limit, if you don't declare these in the red channel and they find them they will confiscate the items and fine you 4 x the value of the undeclared item + duty & tax, or send you to prison for not more than 10 years. I think your friend got off lightly. He does realise cigarettes aren't exactly expensive in Thailand doesn't he?

Found this old stickman article on the same subject.

Edited by CharlieB

Here we go again.... More TV Hyperbole.

Some guy brings more cigarettes in to Thailand than is allowed under the Thai customs regulations, gets caught, has to pay the penalty applicable to the regulation he's been caught breaking and we get a report on TV that the guy was robbed.

Turn up at Heathrow (or any number of other airports around the world) with more duty free goods than are permitted and you might face, a fine, confiscation of the goods, confiscation of all your luggage and/or imprisonment.

Of course the argument can be made that Thailand needs tourists, as indeed it does, but it doesn't need tourists who break the local laws.

What in the hel_l? What was the 20k for? You have to declare stuff you bring on VACATION?! Uh isnt declaration for when you go back home? So what exactly was the 20k for?

if it's cigarettes or alcohol yes you do. and you do that entering any country on this planet. and you pay freaking duties and fines in any country of this planet if you exceed what is allowed. try to enter Singapore with just 5 packets of cigarettes (you are not even allowed to import a single cigarette!).

but how would you know having never travelled abroad? :o

Here we go again.... More TV Hyperbole.

Some guy brings more cigarettes in to Thailand than is allowed under the Thai customs regulations, gets caught, has to pay the penalty applicable to the regulation he's been caught breaking and we get a report on TV that the guy was robbed.

Turn up at Heathrow (or any number of other airports around the world) with more duty free goods than are permitted and you might face, a fine, confiscation of the goods, confiscation of all your luggage and/or imprisonment.

Of course the argument can be made that Thailand needs tourists, as indeed it does, but it doesn't need tourists who break the local laws.

Just because its the law does not make it right. I got caught in Manchester with 4000 cigarettes. They kept the cigarettes took my name and told me not to do it again. How can you people be so arrogant in trying to defend the indefensible. Wake up and know Thailand for what it is corrupt,and just because i have a Thai wife and visit frequently dose not mean i cannot see it for what it is.

Edited by LivinginKata
flaming & racist remarks removed

Everyone (who smokes) knows the limit is 1 cartoon (in most countries).

I've been over the limit before and snuck through the "nothing to declare". But if i had got caught and had to pay a fine i wouldn't have said i'd been "robbed"; i'd feel lucky not to be in the detention center.

Maybe it's a wake up call that a cartoon-a-week habit is no good.

Edited by dave111223

Just because its the law does not make it right. I got caught in Manchester with 4000 cigarettes.

Well I would agree that just because something is law does not make it right - However, you'd have to come up with a convincing argument as to why it is not right. As it is, you launched right into telling us that you personally do not obey this law, from which we can conclude your definition of an unjust law is one that you do not wish to obey.

All manner of crooks make similar claims....... 'snot fair!!!

Change the law in your own country and then come and convince Thailand to do likewise.

A friend of mine despite all the recent turmoil in Thailand decided to come to the LOS anyway. I had told him how nice it was, can you imagine my horror when he was separated from 20,000THB by the customs on arrival. His offence was bringing in 600 Regal kingsize for his 3 week stay as he wasnt sure he would get them here. I think this is a terrible way to treat tourists especially at a time when tourism is down. I also believe he isnt the only victim.

Did he declare them, or try to sneak them through the green 'nothing to declare' channel? If he was fined for attempting to smuggle more than his duty free allowance, then what can he expect?

Smoking is an expensive habit, and he would be well advised to call his local Quitline.

10 years......? For bringing your favorite cigarettes with you on vacation? Has the whole world gone insane? Oh wait... this is Thailand.

The UK customs have confiscated thousands of cars and vans for bringing cigarettes into the UK that the EU says are legal so go figure.In Dubai people have been arrested and deported for legal medication but when it happens here you get the same outrage :o

The law states the limit is 200 and your friend broke that law. He is lucky he only paid 20,000 and wasn't taken to court, fined and deported. An English guy here was taken for 80,000 baht for the same thing. Its called smuggling!

Why didn't he ask you before hand, a quick check with custom would have done the trick, OH well lesson learn. Do hope otherwise he enjoyed his stay in LOS.

Many thanks to you OP'er

I have a friend staying with me and yesterday they got stopped for not wearing a helmut while on a motorcycle. Got ROBBED of 200 baht.

Today when they awake I will make sure they put a post of TV about this gang robbery in broad daylight. doofus

Just because its the law does not make it right. I got caught in Manchester with 4000 cigarettes.

Jesus christ, what a chancer, a bloody northerner complaining about the law... Well, it would be... Hey coppa, I'm innocent said the manc with the swag bag haha !

Look mate, you was probably gonna sell em onto your mates for a tidy old profit and you got nicked. Stop whinging you sound like a right <deleted>. You knew the law, you got caught. Same as the tosspot who got nicked coming into Thailand, it's a gamble you get caught or not.

What do you expect, Thailand to let you in with 1000cigs and maybe 10 bottles of duty free so you cheapskates don't have to pay 90b for your shorts eh...

Edited by ernest1966

No sympathy for anyone in this situation. Anyone who travels is aware that just about all countries have laws limiting the amount of tobacco and alcohol that are in allowed tax-free. If caught bringing in excess, big fines/taxes are due and excess is confiscated (for use by police). It's the way of the world and ignorance of the law is no excuse.