Dengue Fever

steadfast

phonetically= Kai looat Hok

Sorry don't have a Thai Keyboard

Thanks, just tried your phonetic translation and got the blank stare. Tones everything here, eg mun mun mun - it's an exhilarating potato :o For anyone who has a keyboard with Thai script, could you please just toggle between shift plus alt to change from English to Thai and let me have it in Thai script? Thanks.

ไข้เลือดออก -- 'khai leuat awk'.

Strictly speaking I think this refers to all kinds of hemorrhagic fevers, but fortunately dengue is the only one we have around here.

Edited by Roota

• 2 weeks later...

What about ไข้ส่า ?

All the Thai people I know talk about ไข้เลือดออก, describing the symptoms of DHF (Dengue Haemorrhagic fever). As I understand it though, DHF is a consequence of repeated infections (2-3) with Dengue.

Except in medical texts, where I have seen it written "Den-gii" (according to the phonetic spelling in Thai), it's always ไข้เลือดออก. Maybe it's just that that's the more dangerous type?

Being bitten to death right now, while we're on the subject of mosquito-borne diseases.... :)

• 7 months later...

My 43-year-old friend contracted dengue fever last year. It is not restricted to children even though it is more common in children.

The classification dengue fever/dengue haemmorhagic fever does not seem to be observed in the Thai language. The Thai Wikipedia article discusses different severity in symptoms but does not give an explicit name to the more serious form.

Such classifications are not always universal.

The Thai Wikipedia entry is โรคไข้เลือดออก for anyone who is interested, you can click on ไทย in the lower left column from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_fever

I also had Dengue fever as an adult (aged 29) in 2002, and was told that I had ไข้เลือดออก (literally "bleeding fever") even though I did not have the hemorrhagic form. I agree that the Thai language does not seem to distinguish between the two forms of the disease, except to the extent that a doctor might either use the English terms, or specify whether or not hemorrhaging occurred.

Edited by oevna