New To Cm, Where To Go For...

LongJohn

We recently moved to Chiang Mai and we will soon move from our serviced apartment to a home north of CMU. We are looking for many different things, preferrably close to our area. All suggestions are welcome. We are looking for:

- Sporty/play activity for my 3 1/2 year old daughter. She loves dancing so we tried classical Thai dancing for her. After a few lessons she did not want to go anymore because it is too strict in form. Maybe when she is a bit older she will like it but for now she needs something more playful/expressive. She also likes to look at aerobics, street dance etc... I also want her to learn Judo, but for this she probably is a little too young as well.

- Some form of exercise for myself. I tend to get bored with just working out in a gym so I am thinking of some martial arts or even yoga. I did some european boxing in my youth but would prefer something more gracious now. I need to start at a beginner level since I did no sports for years and have been smoking.

- Where can I buy good bread? I have tried many places and on avarage the bread is really horrible. I did not find anything better than just acceptable. I mean bread like you can get in france (not just the baguettes)

- I found a store for biological veggies and meat but it is on the wrong end of town. Is there any biological shop closer to CMU?

- Any good restaurants/cafes in our area?

All other tips are welcome.

Cheers,

Erik

We recently moved to Chiang Mai and we will soon move from our serviced apartment to a home north of CMU. We are looking for many different things, preferrably close to our area. All suggestions are welcome. We are looking for:

- Sporty/play activity for my 3 1/2 year old daughter. She loves dancing so we tried classical Thai dancing for her. After a few lessons she did not want to go anymore because it is too strict in form. Maybe when she is a bit older she will like it but for now she needs something more playful/expressive. She also likes to look at aerobics, street dance etc... I also want her to learn Judo, but for this she probably is a little too young as well.

- Some form of exercise for myself. I tend to get bored with just working out in a gym so I am thinking of some martial arts or even yoga. I did some european boxing in my youth but would prefer something more gracious now. I need to start at a beginner level since I did no sports for years and have been smoking.

- Where can I buy good bread? I have tried many places and on avarage the bread is really horrible. I did not find anything better than just acceptable. I mean bread like you can get in france (not just the baguettes)

- I found a store for biological veggies and meat but it is on the wrong end of town. Is there any biological shop closer to CMU?

Cheers,

Erik

It’s all here, just a case of putting feelers out and exploring areas of Chiang Mai yourself.

Appears you are quite fussy and going to find difficulties living without the conveniences you are used to and swapping what you are accustomed to in your home country for the rough & ready facilities in Thailand

Not sure if Thailand is for you.

Edited by sassienie

Welcome to Chiang Mai!

700 Year Stadium Complex has a variety of sporting options. This is on the north west end of town.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/700-Year-Sta...cs-t234957.html

Do you like growing your own organic products? Here's a thread about where to find plants, vegetables, trees, etc...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Buy-Seeds-an...-M-t251132.html

Since you're new you should try some food unique to this area. Find a place that serves Khao Soi. mmmmmm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khao_soi

The "foreigner's supermarket" aka Rimping, might carry some hard to find things you're looking for. We get some really good bread there, but I'm not exactly a bread connoisseur.

www.rimping.com

Edited by mnbcm

Cheers,

Erik

I also have just moved to Chiang Mai, like you i also wanted to do something different to just going to the gym, so have now started Thai boxing at the age of 48 years, learning the national sport plus the fitness it gives you is very satisfying.The boxing gym i am training at is ideal for beginners.

You can call p.m for the trainers details.

Incidentley i am still looking for a decent loaf of bread !!!!

Cheers,

Erik

I also have just moved to Chiang Mai, like you i also wanted to do something different to just going to the gym, so have now started Thai boxing at the age of 48 years, learning the national sport plus the fitness it gives you is very satisfying.The boxing gym i am training at is ideal for beginners.

You can call p.m for the trainers details.

Incidentley i am still looking for a decent loaf of bread !!!!

Carrefour on the super highway has a good range of freshly cooked bread and croissants...

Long John...Welcome to CM. Regarding your comment about exercise, you might want to consider mountain biking or road biking. It was one of factors that got me here, as there are so many places to go. Chiang Dao, Chiang Rai, Mae Taeng, Doi Pui, Sameong, Mae Kampong are all within a day's ride and the local riding is fantastic. Many of us ride to Doi Suthep weekly or some even daily. It is a great way to get to know the area and a very gracious form of exercise. It is very hard to have a bad day when you are on a bike.

Really there's no need to go to Vietnam, besides the locals are not nearly as friendly!

However the locals are Thai and Japanese at Baan Bakery are very friendly and they sell some great bread/pastries/surprises(it's not quite French, but worth a try). It's closed Sundays and open from about 8am. The coffee's good also and prices pretty keen. You can have some exercise on the way down there from CMU by foot or cycle or do people still rollerblade?!! It's one hundred metres down Suriyawonge on the corner of Soi 1. Head South at the Chiang Mai gate/Outer South Moat/Wua Lai road junction but obviousely on the Suriyawonge road, (I suppose it's a 5 way junction of sorts.)

Regards Bojo

You might try Bread Brasserie on Nimblehymen.

I do buy bread at Carrefour, but quite honestly there is no real French bread here; like UG said you need to go to Vietnam. :o

"Nimblehymen" ; what a delightful alternative to the unpronouncable original. I'll use this version in future.

The OP wanted "good French bread" which is an oxymoron. There is no good French bread, even in France. And Carrefour (Thailand) don't use polystyrene so you won't find original French bread there. Their "French Village" bread is good but thankfully it's not French. And when they occasionally put onion and garlic in it, its even better.

The best bread in my opinion is to be found at Rimping on the 1001 -a couple of kms North from the Superhighway at the first major intersection-and is baked by JOE"S Bakery - a German baker. ( His bakery is on the Hang Dong road) He also sells an excellent Rye bread and a multigrain cob loaf.

• 4 weeks later...
The best bread in my opinion is to be found at Rimping on the 1001 -a couple of kms North from the Superhighway at the first major intersection-and is baked by JOE"S Bakery - a German baker. ( His bakery is on the Hang Dong road) He also sells an excellent Rye bread and a multigrain cob loaf.

Any more detail, Asmerom, on the location of JOE's bakery?

We live south of CM on the Hang Dong Rd., and I'd sure like to get my paws on some really good bread!

Cheers,

Erik

try the fine food at chez marco, the finest and at te same time less expensive mediterainian,southern french cooking in CM most probally Thailand and maybe on the entire earth!! while there pick up a loaf of bread he has there.... it is good....

Any more detail, Asmerom, on the location of JOE's bakery?

We live south of CM on the Hang Dong Rd., and I'd sure like to get my paws on some really good bread!

Living "up North" I've always used Rimping for Joe's Bread (never been to the bakery). I've just looked at his label on the loaf I have in the fridge (German Rye Bread) and amazingly --no address, just a couple of telephone numbers : 053-442785// 09-9506623.

I was alerted to his bread by a thread on Thai Visa some time ago, by someone (was it Nienke?) who gave directions to Joe's Bakery. I think she mentioned it was about 7kms from CM going along the Hang Dong Road.

I haven't managed to trace the thread by using the so-called "search" facility. It never works for me.

There is an organic market every Wednesday and Saturday mornings on the grounds of CMU. Prices are very good as well.

that's good to know. is that by the huay kaew road entrance?

No, exit CMU past the PTT petrol station, cross the irrigation canal, go straight ahead and it's on your right after about 100-200 metres.

CMMCB

Pop into Tuskers ,one of the sponsers of Thai Visa.You will find the details at the top of this page.When I first moved here I went there to eat and have a beer or two.We met many ex-pats and have made good friends.Come to the Thai visa party on June 6th and you will meet many people who live here and can share so much information with you.Welcome to Chiangmai.