Visa For My Wifes Child

Ok guys need to ask another question.

When I did the visa for my wife we used an agent, at considerable cost. I now want to do a settlement visa for her child, I would like to know which forms I will need, also my wife has been told by the agent that I can go to Bangkok to "make paper for me to be papa to daughter". she doesn't know where or what this means and wont phone the agent unless I am telling the agent to deal with the visa.....

as I understand it only a Thai court can OK me a the daughters legal father, do I have to attend the court? or would my wife and a folder full of docuements be enough? I will be in Thailand for one week in July would this be enough time to sort out any Thai paperwork?

The daughters father has had no contact and my wife says she has papers to prove she is the sole provider. MY wife is here in the UK on a 2 year settlement visa.

There is probably no need for you to use an agent, but if you do decide to do so only use one who is properly qualified and regulated in the UK, such as the relevent sponsors of this forum. It sounds from what you have posted that the 'agent' you speak of does not know what s/he is talking about, and like many agents in Thailand, especially those run by unqualified Brits, is concerned only with extracting the maximum amount of cash from you.

Sorry, rant over.

There is no need for you to legally adopt the child, though you may do so if you wish, of course. If you do want to then it would probably be simpler for you to do so once she is in the UK.

The two most important aspects are that your wife will need to show that she has sole custody of the child and has been exercising sole responsibity; that is taking all the important decisions regarding her upbringing.

See Chapter 14 - Settlement entry for children.

Forgot to add:-

For where and how to apply see the UK Visa Application Centre.

The relevent form is VAF4, which you can download from the above.

Edited by 7by7

I have actually already answered this 7/7 on another forum and have advised him on the sole custody and sole responsibility issues.

His agent should have prepared for the child's future case when he/she submitted his wife's application .

Oh well.