Travel outside Thailand during under consideration period

My current extension based on marriage is good until 8th June 2024.
I already have a multiple re-entry permit which allows me to come in and out of Thailand until this extension expires.
I have plans to go away for a long weekend outside of Thailand at the very end of May, arriving back around 4th of June.

My plan is to apply for my new extension based on marriage around 20th May as I understand it can be done up to a month in advance of the current extension expiring.
From past experience this will mean I get an 'under consideration stamp' requesting me to return to immigration on 20th June. The reason for applying around 20th May is that I guess that the house visit will subsequently be planned to take place once I am back from my trip.

Will it be ok for me to go out and back into Thailand during this under consideration period? The dates of travel as mentioned above fall within my current extension and I have a re-entry permit already.

And I will of course tell immigration of my plans when submitting my new extension application, so that any house visit by the officers doesn't coincide with when I am away.

Just wondering if this plan sounds ok or if somehow the application of my new extension will alter my existing re-entry permit and/or expiry date of my current extension of stay?

It's for Chonburi immigration (if that makes any difference)

Thanks in advance

Your multi re-enter permit is valid until the expiry date of your current extension, that being 8th June.

Provided you return prior to that date, and you've indicated returning 4th June, then you're OK.

If you weren't returning until after your current extension expires, but within the under consideration period, then you'd require a separate re-entry permit for that under consideration period. It appears from your post that your IO date the 30-day under consideration period from the date of application, whereas my IO always date the 30-day under consideration period 30 days from expiry of the extension.

2 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Your multi re-enter permit is valid until the expiry date of your current extension, that being 8th June.

Provided you return prior to that date, and you've indicated returning 4th June, then you're OK.

If you weren't returning until after your current extension expires, but within the under consideration period, then you'd require a separate re-entry permit for that under consideration period. It appears from your post that your IO date the 30-day under consideration period from the date of application, whereas my IO always date the 30-day under consideration period 30 days from expiry of the extension.

Thanks for the info.

I wasn't sure if I would just need to get another re-entry permit that aligns with the under consideration stamp even though I already have one for my current stay and will be travelling out and back in within that original extension time frame.

As for when the under consideration period is stamped from, I looked at my stamp from last time and it was 30 days from the day that I applied - but it must vary depending on the office.

I just did it last month my extension was expiring on 11th April I applied on 5th March at Cheangwattana and was give a return date of 11th April. Immigration officer said my current visa and multi entry re-entry permit remain valid. I went out 13th March and returned 6th April and was given 5 days on my stamp on entry up to my new extension date. Picked up extension on 11th April.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

My understanding is that the "Under Consideration" period counts as a new extension and so invalidates the existing Re-entry Permit. I've been wrong in the past mind.

So, whatever his dates are he will need a re-entry permit for the under-consideration period.

Of course, you can guarantee that, if you ask your immigration office and they say "no need", you will meet an officer at the airport with the opposite opinion.

IMHO it's worth the cost of a single re-entry permit to remove all doubt.

That only happens if you apply in last few days of your extension validity where your under consideration goes beyond your existing extension date but you are permitted to remain under consideration. So if you went out you would invalidate but if you apply early leave and return with the date of your existing extension date it’s ok and two immigration officers confirmed this as I was worried about leaving and re-entering but I had 5 days left on my extension and re-entry permit and was given a stamp on re-entry 5 days taking me up to my renewal date 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

My understanding is that the "Under Consideration" period counts as a new extension and so invalidates the existing Re-entry Permit. I've been wrong in the past mind.

So, whatever his dates are he will need a re-entry permit for the under-consideration period.

Of course, you can guarantee that, if you ask your immigration office and they say "no need", you will meet an officer at the airport with the opposite opinion.

Let me put it another way.

The OP has an extension of stay valid until 8th June and a multi re-entry permit.
He intends to take a weekend trip, returning on 4th June.

There would be nothing to stop him from applying for his next extension between 4th - 8th June.

The under consideration stamp doesn't invalidate a period of stay already granted, in this case until 8th June, it covers the period from 8th June until such date his application is approved.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BangkokAlan said:

That only happens if you apply in last few days of your extension validity where your under consideration goes beyond your existing extension date but you are permitted to remain under consideration. So if you went out you would invalidate but if you apply early leave and return with the date of your existing extension date it’s ok and two immigration officers confirmed this as I was worried about leaving and re-entering but I had 5 days left on my extension and re-entry permit and was given a stamp on re-entry 5 days taking me up to my renewal date 

Similar.

Some years ago, I submitted my extension application based on Thai spouse 43 days prior to the validity of my extension and received an under consideration stamp dated 30 days after my current extension expiry date (73 days). I was then informed of a family bereavement.
I returned to my IO for a re-entry permit and questioned the validity. I was informed, provided I return before my extension expiry date it was valid.
Returning on 8th with an extension dated the 8th, and an under consideration stamp dated until the 10th of the following month, it raised a few eyebrows on re-entry.
The entry clearance officer called a supervisor, they shrugged their shoulders, and he pointed to my existing extension.
They stamped me in for 2 days until 10th.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

OK I stand corrected. 

The best option would be to remove all doubt and extend after he returns as @Liquorice suggests.

He would have to ensure the officer at the airport does stamp him for the few days. Last time I did something similar he noticed and asked if I wanted 2 days or a 30-day exemption, but you never know.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yes - maybe it would be better to get a new re-entry permit to be on the safe side

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Applying for the extension when I get back was something I had considered - I just don't like usually leaving it until the very end of the existing extension in case there is something I forget to include when submitting and then need to go back the next day.

But I should be able to get it all in order so this would probably be the best approach.

• Like 1

Just re-reading some of the suggestions properly.

So it looks as though my initial plan will be ok to go out and back into Thailand using my existing re-entry permit during the under consideration period for my new extension.

This would be my preference as it means I am not leaving it until the last minute to apply for the new extension and also means I can use the multiple re-entry permit one last time before my existing extension expires. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Similar.

Some years ago, I submitted my extension application based on Thai spouse 43 days prior to the validity of my extension and received an under consideration stamp dated 30 days after my current extension expiry date (73 days). I was then informed of a family bereavement.
I returned to my IO for a re-entry permit and questioned the validity. I was informed, provided I return before my extension expiry date it was valid.
Returning on 8th with an extension dated the 8th, and an under consideration stamp dated until the 10th of the following month, it raised a few eyebrows on re-entry.
The entry clearance officer called a supervisor, they shrugged their shoulders, and he pointed to my existing extension.
They stamped me in for 2 days until 10th.

So if I apply on the 20th May with an under consideration period until 20th June and I return back on 4th June using my existing extension/re-entry permit, it is likely they will stamp me in for just a few days until the 8th June (expiration of my initial extension) and then I will remain in Thailand 'under consideration' until the 20th?

Edited by drh1010
spelling

5 minutes ago, drh1010 said:

So if I apply on the 20th May with an under consideration period until 20th June and I return back on 4th June using my existing extension, it is likely they will stamp me in for just a few days until the 8th June (expiration of my initial extension) and when I will remain in Thailand 'under consideration' until the 20th?

Correct.

Although your next extension application may be under review, you'll actually be leaving and returning within the period of stay already granted.
It may raise a few eyebrows on re-entry, just point to your existing permission of stay and ensure they don't give you a 30 day VE stamp, thinking they are doing you a favour, rather than stamping you in for the 3//4 days permission of stay already granted.

It's an unusual situation for entry clearance officers, and they need time to think about it!

Edited by Liquorice
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Correct.

Although your next extension application may be under review, you'll actually be leaving and returning within the period of stay already granted.
It may raise a few eyebrows on re-entry, just point to your existing permission of stay and ensure they don't give you a 30 day VE stamp, thinking they are doing you a favour, rather than stamping you in for the 3//4 days permission of stay already granted.

Thanks for the info - good to know that the under consideration stamp doesn't invalidate any previously granted permission to stay. 

7 minutes ago, drh1010 said:

Thanks for the info - good to know that the under consideration stamp doesn't invalidate any previously granted permission to stay. 

The under consideration stamp is merely a notice that your submitted application for your next extension is under review.

I think someone mention a re-entry permit covering the period of under consideration.
That is a very grey area, as if you'd be returning after your current permission of stay date, although you'd have a dated under consideration stamp, your next extension hasn't actually been approved. In that situation, I'd state remain in Thailand from the period your current extension expires until the date your application is approved and extension issued.

Returning within the validity period of your current permit of stay is perfectly legit.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, drh1010 said:

I would check with immigration rather than take anything said here as gospel.

My experience this week says the opposite. As my current extension ends mid May I went to Hat Yai immigration on Tuesday for a new extension. With a new under consideration stamp in my passport I asked this same question, as I wasn't sure if my current multi re-entry permit was still valid, the immigration officer said, no, as I was now under consideration I would need a new re-entry permit.

12 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I would check with immigration rather than take anything said here as gospel.

My experience this week says the opposite. As my current extension ends mid May I went to Hat Yai immigration on Tuesday for a new extension. With a new under consideration stamp in my passport I asked this same question, as I wasn't sure if my current multi re-entry permit was still valid, the immigration officer said, no, as I was now under consideration I would need a new re-entry permit.

That would depend on your return date, before or after your current extension expiry date.

Your dates suggest you'd be returning after your current permission of stay expires on 1st May.

Edited by Liquorice

30 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

That would depend on your return date, before or after your current extension expiry date.

Your dates suggest you'd be returning after your current permission of stay expires on 1st May.

No, I specifically said my return date would be within the period of my current permission to stay which runs to May 22nd. I was told by the immigration officer that I would need a new re-entry permit. 

36 minutes ago, Stocky said:

No, I specifically said my return date would be within the period of my current permission to stay which runs to May 22nd. I was told by the immigration officer that I would need a new re-entry permit. 

What is the expiry date of your current re-entry permit?

8 minutes ago, Stocky said:

The same as my current extension!

Exactly, that answer the question.
If you currently have permission of stay until 22nd May and a same dated re-entry permit, and your returning before that date, both are valid.

An under consideration stamp does invalidate your current permission of stay, if it did, then when your further extension application was approved, it would be backdated to the date you submitted that application, which it isn't. It's dated from the expiry date of your previous valid permit of stay date.

The IO gave you incorrect information.
There are already two reports of returning within the current extension date, whilst having an under consideration stamp.

If you have purchased a further re-entry permit, I would be interested to know the to and from dates.

I can guarantee on your return you will be stamped in until 22nd May, which is the expiry date of your current extension and re-entry permit.

4 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Returning on 8th with an extension dated the 8th, and an under consideration stamp dated until the 10th

Should read;

Returning on 8th with an extension dated the 10th, and an under consideration stamp dated 30 days after the 10th.

Edited by Liquorice

49 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

The IO gave you incorrect information.
There are already two reports of returning within the current extension date, whilst having an under consideration stamp.

I can well imagine the conversation at immigration...

"You don't have a valid re-entry stamp"

- I do, look there it is

"No, that's no good"

- But Liquorice on AseanNow said it was valid!

"Liquorice said, well in that case sir I must be wrong"

stamp, stamp

"There you go sir, have a nice day"

Should I need to travel during the consideration period, even the period before my existing permission to stay has expired, I will be going to the immigration office for a new re-entry stamp. Better safe than sorry.

18 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I can well imagine the conversation at immigration...

"You don't have a valid re-entry stamp"

- I do, look there it is

"No, that's no good"

- But Liquorice on AseanNow said it was valid!

"Liquorice said, well in that case sir I must be wrong"

stamp, stamp

"There you go sir, have a nice day"

Should I need to travel during the consideration period, even the period before my existing permission to stay has expired, I will be going to the immigration office for a new re-entry stamp. Better safe than sorry.

I agree, better to be safe and avoid any risks, but each to their own.

I did this last year and Jomtien IO, said I required a new re entry permit, even if I was to return before my extension expired. The reason given was that my under consideration period date, was after my extension date.

i was not taking any chances for 1000 baht, I was not being a coward, just being sensible.

In the end I returned after the extension date, but before the under consideration date. Officer at airport laughed when he stamped me in for only 3 days.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Georgealbert said:

I did this last year and Jomtien IO, said I required a new re entry permit, even if I was to return before my extension expired. The reason given was that my under consideration period date, was after my extension date.

There is 2 older threads that agree with your post.

Won't post links.

Best advice to OP is to attend immigration for horses mouth advice.

• Agree 2

If I were in doubt, and returning before my extension expiry date, I'd submit the application between retuning and the expiry date.

You can apply any time up until the expiry date.

20 hours ago, drh1010 said:

As for when the under consideration period is stamped from, I looked at my stamp from last time and it was 30 days from the day that I applied - but it must vary depending on the office.

It seems so. I applied on the 24th of this month with my current expiry as the 29th, and the 'under consideration to' date I got was 29th May, not the 24th. It doesn't matter anyway, as the new extension might not be approved by then. Sometimes for me it's not been ready until a day or two beyond, and last year it was ready a week early. That is why you need to await a phone call from the IO telling you to return for the stamp.