Cricket Farm

Chaimai

I have seached the Farming forum for information on cricket farming but came up with nothing. Apologies if this has been covered before.

I have started looking into the possibility of establishing a jing reet farm.

No problem with the mechanics of starting such a business but I am concerned about my market.

I have heard that there appears to be a ''mafia" type control on selling crickets and if I want to sell my product I HAVE to sell through one designated person. The issue is that this results in artificial price controls with depressed prices currently being offered. I have made enquiries further afield but once I my mention the area in which I live, I am directed back to the same buyer !

Is anyone aware of any other routes to market for this product.

Hello Chaimai, I don't know if you can read Thai or not, but there are Thai Ag specialty magazines on crop/product "How To Do", run around Bt.30 to 120. each. They are on most magazine stands, in side some mags are lists of issues available if you can't find what you want.

I have seen one on cricket raising, the MIL uses the night traps to catch, now Bt.70 kg at the farm.

rice555

Hello Chaimai, I don't know if you can read Thai or not, but there are Thai Ag specialty magazines on crop/product "How To Do", run around Bt.30 to 120. each. They are on most magazine stands, in side some mags are lists of issues available if you can't find what you want.

I have seen one on cricket raising, the MIL uses the night traps to catch, now Bt.70 kg at the farm.

rice555

Thanks very much for that rice555 - I can't read Thai, but the wife can so we will follow up on that.

The problem is that we are being offered 60 Baht by the lady who seems to control things in Buriram - if anyone has knowledge of alternatives in our area it would be appreciated.

Hello Gary A, the MIL has gotten from a few grams a night to a 5kg night. This the water tubs-plastic sheet-black light special trap. Needs to be checked more often if you have chickens, some rodents,frogs/toads, snakes and dogs can do a number on you catch if you snooze.

The SIL tried to cage raise some under the house, if you are going to do cages, do it 50M away from your bed! This project ended fast.

MIL sales to a guy that drives around and buys or the FIL sales to other local villagers that order a kg or 2.

The wife brings some back from her village trips, along with rice and different fish from the lake/river and our pond. We send jackfruit, mangos and vegetable starts (plug trays) to the farm.

rice555

Hello Chaimai, the book(magazine) is 114 pages, and costs Bt.130.

Kakkaset Agriculture Magazine has the add for the cricket book.

The phone number is 02 809 4211-3. the add also gives the bank(s) accounts #'s to make payment to.

rice555

PM me an @-address, I'll scan and send the add.

The book company has several stores/stands, one is at The Mall Korat next to DQ between the waterfall and elevators, W. end of the food court.

Hello Chaimai, the book(magazine) is 114 pages, and costs Bt.130.

Kakkaset Agriculture Magazine has the add for the cricket book.

The phone number is 02 809 4211-3. the add also gives the bank(s) accounts #'s to make payment to.

rice555

PM me an @-address, I'll scan and send the add.

The book company has several stores/stands, one is at The Mall Korat next to DQ between the waterfall and elevators, W. end of the food court. I will look tomorrow(28) 'maybe', "29th for sure", they may have copy?

Hello Chaimai, they didn't have the magazine at The Mall.

In doing more talking today, another SIL works at the district Ag office and it was through this office the went to another village(local ag projects) is where she found out about raising them, the village they went to also sold live bugs and kits to get things going.

But the local ag dept., is a good place to check out for this type of project.

rice555

did the file come through?