Smoking

Tigerman1

So, has anyone been around Soi Nana recently in the inside bars like Chequers, Finnegans etc. etc.?

Do they allow smoking inside like the good 'ol days?

What about Big Dogs - can you snout there?

Golden Beer Bar - can you snout there?

May be easier to ask where you cannot smoke inside?

Any ideas?

I'll be in BKK in 3 weeks and only snout when I grog and I am sure i will have a grog.

Cheers.

From a recent statement....... :D

BANGKOK, Thailand - new anti-smoking law came into effect in Thailand, making it illegal to light up in virtually every indoor public place including air-conditioned restaurants and barber shops.

Business establishments that fail to control smoking by patrons will face fines of up to 20,000 baht (US$465) and the smokers will be hit for 2,000 baht (US$46), under regulations made public in last year.

Pubs and other night entertainment places are exempt because they are not frequented by children.

Thailand has had a strong anti-smoking lobby and is one of the few Asian countries to make a serious effort to highlight the dangers of tobacco since the 1970s.

Many public places were already smoke-free and the new law widens the scope by including restaurants and other areas.

But realizing the difficulty of enforcing the ban uniformly, the Public Health Ministry has said that it would initially focus only on air-conditioned restaurants, sending out inspectors for surprise checks. "

also...

Thailand's tobacco control efforts are being hailed as among the most successful in Asia, with new regulations implemented every year.

How effective these regulations are when put to the test remains to be seen

According to the Thailand Tobacco Information Center, the percentage of Thai male smokers has gradually declined from 48.8 percent in 1986 to 38.9 percent in 1999, the latest year for which information is available. The number of women smokers declined from 4.1 percent to 2.4 percent in that period.

Overall, 23.4 percent of Thais, or about 12 million people, smoke.

Apart from anti-smoking laws, Thailand also is trying to prevent youngsters from taking up the habit.

The Public Health Ministry says 95 percent of smokers in Thailand start before they're 24.

The government recently announced plans to replace worded warnings of health hazards on cigarette packs with color pictures depicting cancerous lungs, premature aging, birth defects and impotence.

Among places made off limits to smokers under the new law are public buses, taxis, elevators, temples and churches, public toilets, libraries and air-conditioned establishments such as shopping malls, tailor shops, drug stores, gymnasiums and beauty salons.

In schools, museums, hospitals, banks, airports and indoor stadiums, smoking will be allowed only in restrooms and private offices.

Except for Singapore, Hong Kong and Thailand, Asian countries have some of the world's weakest tobacco control laws, according to the World Health Organization (news - web sites).

:D

It says smoking is the single biggest killer globally, accounting for one in three middle-age male deaths. :o

You can smoke in The Hunstman Pub in the Landmark Hotel, quite amazing really - wonder how much they are bribing the authorities to be allowed to flout the law.

Before anyone goes off on one, I am a non smoker but I don't really care.

Was watching the Bangkok City inspectors at Phrom Pong today grabbing tourists and fining them Bt2,000 each for dropping butts onto the roadway - not the sidewalk. Saw them grab five people in 20 minutes. That's a nice cool Bt10,000. Great way to attract tourists.

My local bars/restaurants are the Log Home and the Witches Tavern on Sai Thonglor. They both enforce the smoking ban. I went to Nana at the weekend the first time for a long time and I was amazed that I could smoke in all the bars that I went in. Amazing Thailand!

Cheers, Rick

Ah that's the idea, stop em smoking inside and then nab em outside.

I'm not actually a smoker but what should they do with their butts, put them in a bin and set light to them?

The problem is that there are no bins to put them in. They were taken away due to the New Year bombings a couple of years ago.

Cheers, Rick

Was watching the Bangkok City inspectors at Phrom Pong today grabbing tourists and fining them Bt2,000 each for dropping butts onto the roadway - not the sidewalk. Saw them grab five people in 20 minutes. That's a nice cool Bt10,000. Great way to attract tourists.

Well Done Bangers finest...that will teach the "smellies" to behave...... :D:)

Well Done Bangers finest...that will teach the "smellies" to behave...... :D:)

Bangkok City Inspectors? - let me guess they were wearing green and have the title TP? Amazing, one would think they are there to assist tourists but actually the opposite.

Other places you can see them ply their trade - between Nana and Soi 2, Soi Suan Plu, JJ Market, Pratunam.