I Have Not Filed Taxes At Home(canada) For 6 Years

I have been working in Thailand since 2003 as a teacher, I have a tax number but I have never received a pay slip.

I have not filed taxes in Canada since then, I have not declared myself as a non resident either as I renewed my drivers licence and used health care on my visits home.

What should I bring from Thailand to show that I have been working overseas for this time?

Sorry I should have mentioned that I am moving home to live and work in Canada.

I am assuming you cannot just get away with not filing taxes for 6 years, as I will eventually have to file taxes once I get a job there.

Don't I need to show proof that I have been making money abroad for that time?

i wouldn't worry about it too much. anything you can bring back that proves you were living in Thailand during this time should do it. pay stub, employment contract, letter from your employer, utility bills any of those should do the trick

as far as the govt is concerned, you are not considered a permanent resident of Canada.

i went to Canada last year after two years of being out here. it was tax season, so i went to an accountant to file my taxes for the last two years. he said i didn't have to and shouldn't worry about it.

enjoy the cold! :)

I think it depends on whether Canada has an agreement with Thailand regarding dual taxation. The Uk for example has such an agreement. There's a word for it which I'm sure a more informed member will know. It means something along the lines...that the two countries can cross reference and maybe collect on one anothers behalves. However if you've paid taxes correctly here whilst in Thailand, there will be nothing you would owe from this end.

regrads Bojo

The fact that you haven't filed NR73 and obtained an opinion letter regarding your residence status, isn't in itself a problem. You are deemed a non-resident of Canada for tax purposes if you spend less than 183 days a year in Canada and severed your residential ties with Canada. You don't have to file NR73 to become a non-resident.

Because you have kept your driver's license and your health care benefits, the CRA could say that you didn't have the intention to permanently sever residential ties with Canada.

Even if you spend a long time outside of Canada, unless you demonstrate the intent to permanently sever your residential ties with Canada, the CRA will see you as a "ordinarily resident" and will tax your worldwide income (Thai income in this case). Because Thailand and Canada entered into a tax treaty, you would get a credit for taxes paid to Thailand on your Thai source income.

File your next tax return in Canada and say that you were not a resident of Canada for those years you spent in Thailand. There is a chance that the CRA challenges/audits the years you claimed as non-resident. It will then be up to you to prove that you had severed your residential ties with Canada and tied somewhere else.

You should document your residential ties in Thailand (pictures of friends, family, pets, dwelling place, cars, appartments/houses, etc) and also obtain a Tax Certificate from the Revenue Department for those years you were here.

You only have to prove all that if you get audited by the CRA.

Good luck!

Edited by kudroz

Thank you very much.

I have a tax number but I was only given it last April and have been paying taxes since I started working here.

Is it possible to have more than one tax number?

Sorry I should have mentioned that I am moving home to live and work in Canada.

I am assuming you cannot just get away with not filing taxes for 6 years, as I will eventually have to file taxes once I get a job there.

Don't I need to show proof that I have been making money abroad for that time?

In the US, I had to get copies of my tax returns for the last 5 years when I was applying to INS for a visa for my wife. The IRS agent says, "You haven't paid taxes in 3 years." I told her I was living in Thailand and she said, "Oh, OK." Sent the records right out to me without much ado.

Just because you're not paying taxes in Canada doesn't mean that you cease to be a Canadian with all the rights and benefits entitled to you. You only pay tax on income earned in Canada. In the US, the limit is 11 months out of country and you are exempt from taxation.

AFAIK, not paying any taxes is not an offense. BUT, not filing a return is a no-no.

Even if you earn zero you are supposed to file a return. They aren't going to put you in jail but try to get some statement that you worked and paid taxes in Thailand, even if its a Khao San road "document". And be polite with them.

In the US, the limit is 11 months out of country and you are exempt from taxation.

That is incorrect.

US citizens are taxed on their worldwide income, and aren't exempt whatsoever. If you are a US citizen and earn income in Thailand or "over the internet", this income is subject to taxation in the US as if you were living there. Although, you may be eligible for the IRS's Foreign Earned Income Exclusion up to $87,600 provided that you meet the requirements.

You should document your residential ties in Thailand (pictures of friends, family, pets, dwelling place, cars, appartments/houses, etc) and also obtain a Tax Certificate from the Revenue Department for those years you were here.

Can anyone tell me the address of where to obtain this document. I went on their website but it does not say how or where I can get it. I am assuming my small town will not have these documents in English. I emailed the address given on the website but no reply.

same here, haven't filled out a tax form since 1995 and been here since 1997

If you were heading back to the USA i would sugest taking "striped pajamas"

I haven't filed for taxes in the US for 8 years.

It's not important. I also visit every year.

• 2 months later...
I have been working in Thailand since 2003 as a teacher, I have a tax number but I have never received a pay slip.

I have not filed taxes in Canada since then, I have not declared myself as a non resident either as I renewed my drivers licence and used health care on my visits home.

What should I bring from Thailand to show that I have been working overseas for this time?

nothing. i've been away to thailand for more than 10 years. never filled a tax report. once back in canada, i filled tax for 5 years back and all was o.k. after that.