Tin Tin

Thanks, SmallPrawn - very kind of you. :)

The real diamond here is Tin Tin, and the real star is Elfe.

Our five resident dogs take a lot of our time/energy/resources, so I can't even begin imagine how Elfe manages to take care of the 90+ dogs (and cats). It takes a minimum of 800 Baht a month to feed an average 20kg+ dog, and that doesn't include the necessary vet fees. That's 800 Baht x12 months x 90 dogs = close to 1 million Baht a year!

I am sure that donations would be most welcome by Elfe at Elfe's World in Samui.

It's so good to know that there are people like you, Elfe and Womble out there!

Hope it all works out.

Thanks, SmallPrawn - very kind of you. :)

The real diamond here is Tin Tin, and the real star is Elfe.

Our five resident dogs take a lot of our time/energy/resources, so I can't even begin imagine how Elfe manages to take care of the 90+ dogs (and cats). It takes a minimum of 800 Baht a month to feed an average 20kg+ dog, and that doesn't include the necessary vet fees. That's 800 Baht x12 months x 90 dogs = close to 1 million Baht a year!

I am sure that donations would be most welcome by Elfe at Elfe's World in Samui.

Thanks for the information Jose,

I just cant belive I have lived on Samui for two years and was never aware of Elfes fantastic work.

Funny that Tin Tins rise to wonder dog staus has been noted world wide. Thanks to your fine work, his photos and plucky personality are being viewed and discussed around the world! My cousin in Canada and my sister in Norway read this site and are well aware of his name! He has become somewhat of an international Super dog. Im sure he has no idea well known he has become and, without nowing it and along with your help, he has drawn many peoples attention to fantastic work of Elfe and highlighted the plight of stray dogs on the islands.

A donation on my return is the least we can offer. So much negative and sad news these days and so refreshing to read his story.

He really has cheered us up! I hope if he is still around you give him a big clap from his international admirers.

Tin Tin, Elfe, Jose...... We salloutte you!

Thanks again.

Many thanks for your kind offer, SP - I'm sure Elfe would appreciate any available help.

Tin Tin the international wonder Super dog has gone AWOL tonite - he was on the beach earlier this afternoon but he didn't show up for his dinner, which is rather unusual for him.

I'd like to think that he has finally worked out a way to stay invisible during that time of day when he gets taken away - I hope he is ok tonight.

He's probably down at the internet cafè gloating upon his worldwide fan club!!

I hope everything works out well and that Womble will keep us up to date about his new home.

I shall post some pics of him enjoying his first bone from our bbq.........

Judging by the out-pouring of praise flowing from forum members I'm probably going to become the forum bad guy for this but something is bothering me here. All this talk of how wonderful the OP is for caring so much about this wonderful the dog yet in the opening post he states:

So, I took him on the bike to Haad Yao, about 12 Km and 200 dog territories away.

It was heartbreaking to leave him behind, and see him running after the bike with all his might...

He was back at our beach in just three days.

The next morning, after a good feed and a new collar, I took him even further away, beyond Chaloklum.

He was back that evening, looking a little tired from his epic trip but as happy and playful as ever.

and in a later post:

In the evenings I give him some food so that he doesn't have to go around digging up garbage, and also so that he remains in good shape for any potential owner.

Afterwards I take him along the back roads towards Thongsala and try to leave him in a quiet spot. He is always back in the morning, now and then with a new bite on his hindquarters to show for his dog territory-crossing journey.

Sorry, but since when is (repeated) dog adandonment something worthy of praise? We're not even talking about a problem animal that other people might shoot or poison. We're talking about - well, you can read for yourself in this thread about the dog that is so great he rates being abandoned time and time again. It's shameful.

Judging by the out-pouring of praise flowing from forum members I'm probably going to become the forum bad guy for this but something is bothering me here. All this talk of how wonderful the OP is for caring so much about this wonderful the dog yet in the opening post he states:

So, I took him on the bike to Haad Yao, about 12 Km and 200 dog territories away.

It was heartbreaking to leave him behind, and see him running after the bike with all his might...

He was back at our beach in just three days.

The next morning, after a good feed and a new collar, I took him even further away, beyond Chaloklum.

He was back that evening, looking a little tired from his epic trip but as happy and playful as ever.

and in a later post:

In the evenings I give him some food so that he doesn't have to go around digging up garbage, and also so that he remains in good shape for any potential owner.

Afterwards I take him along the back roads towards Thongsala and try to leave him in a quiet spot. He is always back in the morning, now and then with a new bite on his hindquarters to show for his dog territory-crossing journey.

Sorry, but since when is (repeated) dog adandonment something worthy of praise? We're not even talking about a problem animal that other people might shoot or poison. We're talking about - well, you can read for yourself in this thread about the dog that is so great he rates being abandoned time and time again. It's shameful.

Koheesti, I think that you are being most unfair in your condemnation.

In Jose's opinion the dog was in more danger from unfriendly locals, and dogs by staying where he was.

He then took the time and effort to do something about it, something few people here are prepared to do.

Hopefully Tin Tin will make it into Wombles care, whatever the outcome. I would hardly consider Jose's actions shameful.

Gator

Koheesti, I think that you are being most unfair in your condemnation.

In Jose's opinion the dog was in more danger from unfriendly locals, and dogs by staying where he was.

He then took the time and effort to do something about it, something few people here are prepared to do.

Hopefully Tin Tin will make it into Wombles care, whatever the outcome. I would hardly consider Jose's actions shameful.

Gator

I don't really want to seem to be jumping on the OP that's why I initially remained silent (except for the sarcastic comment about maybe having more luck abandoning one of his other dogs). But with all this praise continually flowing I couldn't keep it in any longer.

That said, abandoning any pet is WRONG - even if it's not "officailly" your pet but a stray. Also, how many days or weeks was the poor animal put through this when the solution was found in a matter of a few days here on the forum? If abandonment is ever an option it certainly shouldn't be the first option.

Sorry, Jose, I understand it's a tough situation. I love dogs but don't have one because I know I'd have to leave it behind someday. Tin-Tin is happy now and that's what matters most.

But with all this praise continually flowing I couldn't keep it in any longer.

Hmmm... all this has really got under your skin, eh?

Fortunately this thread is not about either you or me - it has been all about trying to find a home for a homeless dog that deserves a better life.

That said, abandoning any pet is WRONG

In your race to display your pathetically righteous indignation, you seem to have missed the point:

Tin Tin is not anyone's pet - he is homeless.

Any additional comments from you on this matter will from now be totally ignored by me.

Many thanks again to Womble for taking Tin Tin, and also to Elfe for backup if it's not possible for him to stay at Chaweng beach.

Hopefully I'll be able to bring him on the boat to Samui this coming Monday.

And many thanks to all that truly care. :)

Fortunately this thread is not about either you or me - it has been all about trying to find a home for a homeless dog that deserves a better life.

In your race to display your pathetically righteous indignation, you seem to have missed the point:

Any additional comments from you on this matter will from now be totally ignored by me.

Many thanks again to Womble for taking Tin Tin, and also to Elfe for backup if it's not possible for him to stay at Chaweng beach.

Hopefully I'll be able to bring him on the boat to Samui this coming Monday.

And many thanks to all that truly care. :)

ok, i'm fraking out so did Tin Tin finally get a home or a at least a safe santurary? last told he had dissapeared and did not return for dinner. What happened?

ok, i'm fraking out so did Tin Tin finally get a home or a at least a safe santurary? last told he had dissapeared and did not return for dinner. What happened?

Hey, thanks for your concern. He's ok. :)

It turns out Tin Tin outsmarted me last night, and hid out of the way until way past his usual taken-away time.

Oh man, he is one smart pup...

^ Have to admit, I found myself thinking along the same lines.

yes, but he did try. i chose to leave it there. and if he found the dog a home, all's well that ends ....

Edited by t.s

Hey, thanks for your concern. He's ok. :)

It turns out Tin Tin outsmarted me last night, and hid out of the way until way past his usual taken-away time.

Oh man, he is one smart pup...

I would think we should have him run for political office showing more brains than the current crop that Thailand has had for the last few years but, being smart as a whip, he would probably head-off and hide. That is good everything turned out for him. I bought my wife a golden retreiver labrador puppy, not a puppy anymore, about three years of age, and she is treated like a queen in the living block where she stays with the aunt. My wife is returning to Thailand so we can start building a house where said labrador, named Terra, will have air conditioning for the rest of her life. Tin Tin alwas looks as if he is smiling.

Edited by gbt71fa

I joined this forum to see Tin Tin's photos. He is such a handsome pup! I'm so relieved that finally Tin Tin is going to get a home. Thank you Jose, Womble, and Elfe for your kindness. I appreciate Farangs have very kind heart. :)

Well, your rude and off the mark reply explains a lot. Probably brought about by the realisation that trying to abandon the dog was the wrong thing to do so now you're trying to take it out on me. Homeless dogs may not have a human owner but they still have their own territory to call home. Is this not true? And if the dog isn't yours then you have no right taking him to another part of the island and leaving him to fend for himself in unfamiliar territory likely belonging to other dogs (200 dog territories I think it was).

Since the OP isn't reading this, maybe one of you others can explain it to him. I don't think he's a bad guy at all. I think it's great that he's looking out for Tin-Tin's welfare. He's certainly doing more than most would. He just made a bad first decision and I just found it very odd that with all the dog lovers here no one else (except Thai Bairn) caught on to the abandonment issue. Hopefully the next person will come to this forum first because next time the dog in question may not make it back in one piece.

Edited by koheesti

koheesti, I suggest you and your friend should write a new topic of Tin Tin abandonment issue and see if anyone else come along, because this seems to be different matter and missing the point.

Jose, if you are looking for another alternative, or if Womble would rather not have an extra dog, I'll happily take care of Tin Tin. I'm near Choeng mon beach. Do PM me if you think I might be the better option! I'm a long term resident for your security.

koheesti, I suggest you and your friend should write a new topic of Tin Tin abandonment issue and see if anyone else come along, because this seems to be different matter and missing the point.

A very good suggestion. The point is that Tin Tin has probably found a home (or two) thanks to considerable effort on Joses' part. He may not have have done everything to one or two members liking, but pleasing all of the people all of the time (particularly on this Forum) is not the point.

A very good suggestion. The point is that Tin Tin has probably found a home (or two) thanks to considerable effort on Joses' part. He may not have have done everything to one or two members liking, but pleasing all of the people all of the time (particularly on this Forum) is not the point.

Sorry, I was going to let "sleeping dogs lie" but after Gator decided to add his two cents I checked my pockets and found a couple more myself.

The point is that Tin Tin has probably found a home (or two) thanks to considerable effort on Joses' part.

Or despite of it. Sure, the OP was looking for a good home for Tin-Tin - AFTER mistreating the poor animal. (Remember, he wrote about "200 dog territories" and "with a new bite on his hindquarters to show for his dog territory-crossing journey"). Not to mention the motivation was fear of his own dogs being poisoned. After the abandonment didn't work, the next option was this forum. If no home was found here, one can only imagine what the final solution would have been.

btw - I have an extra dog I'm trying to get rid of, are you interested? I tried feeding him rat poison but after a couple days of whining and convulsing on the ground the little bugger got right back up. What a strong, healthy dog! Then I tied some concrete blocks around his legs and threw him into the sea but after a day, he was at my doorstep, wagging his tail, happy as could be. What a wonderful disposition he has - and sharp, healthy teeth to boot! Would you or anyone you know like to give this magnificent (and persistent) pup a good home? :)

As to what the point of this thread is or isn't, how about, try out this forum before taking any drastic measures with a poor animal.

Jose, if you are looking for another alternative, or if Womble would rather not have an extra dog, I'll happily take care of Tin Tin. I'm near Choeng mon beach. Do PM me if you think I might be the better option! I'm a long term resident for your security.

I spoke with Dan on the phone tonight, and he seems quite genuine with his kind offer to share his home with Tin Tin. A fairy tale dream comes true for Tin Tin!

I still hope that Womble and Elfe can be a backup for Tin Tin if it doesn't work out in his new home, but I'm 99% sure that both Dan and Tin Tin will be inseparable after a short while, as Tin Tin makes friends very easily.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record:

A biig Thank You to all supportive TV forum members!

Agreed. And now that Tin Tin has found a home I am closing this thread since the objective has been reached and I see no reason for further attacks.

If it needs to be reopened because the home falls through please PM me or Rooo to have it re-opened.

CLOSED