Best Bottled/ Canned Pasta Sauce

Just bought meself an electric wok and would like to know what are the best ready made pasta sauces.

Yes, I can make my own but half the time can't be arsed. All I want is to bubble up the pasta and chuck in a sauce and some veggies.

Problem is, was in TOPS and Foodland and there seems to be a million to choose from.

Starting with tomato based ones, what would you all recommend? Flavors and brands, plese,

Cheers.

1 The first place goes to BARILLA , undiscussed winner in any country

2 second position is for AGNESI because here in Los is difficult to find other italian brands

3,4,5,6,.....others

as all big brands they come in a multitudes of different flavours, my favourite is "Amatriciana" which basically is tomatoes and bacon but i also really like "Ragu' alla Bolognese" often shortened as just "Bolognese", especially abroad, which is made with tomatoes and minced meat, beware of mispelling in labels for italian names, if they don't know how to write it i doubt they will know how to cook it :)

Nana pasta sauce, from our very own Chef Heat! Made here in Thailand from fresh ingredients, no additives or preservatives. Yummy! My husband likes the Amatriciana, I like the Traditional. You may have to check the very long thread to see where you can buy it.

Nana pasta sauce, from our very own Chef Heat! Made here in Thailand from fresh ingredients, no additives or preservatives. Yummy! My husband likes the Amatriciana, I like the Traditional. You may have to check the very long thread to see where you can buy it.

Thanks so much Cathy :)

@ Soi Sauce:

If you click our banner at the top of this thread (we also make El Sapo salsas), you can find out more about our products. Please give us a try, and compare the prices. List of available locations/stores is near the bottom of our home page. Thanks.

get in yer motor, drive to your local market:

buy 500g plum tomatoes,

1 clove of garlic,

a few hot chillies,

a bunch of basil (Italian variety),

500g Spaghetti №5 (Italian brand only),

and optional a wedge of Parmiggiano Reggiano (Grana Padana will do the same) if you can find it.

Return home, head straight to the kitchen:

ignite the gas cooker,

get a large, deep saucepan and drizzle some Olive Oil (Extra Virgin is better),

add chopped garlic & chillies,

sauté for a minute or so until golden brown,

add diced plum tomatoes and cook at medium heat for 6 mins appx,

add a pinch of salt salt,

In the meantime in a cooking pan filled with boiling salted water,

cook spaghetti for 8 / 9 mins (depending on how al dente you like your pasta, remember to slightly undercook as further final cooking will be in the saucepan).

chop the basil coarsely, add some of it in the sauce in the final stage of cooking,

drain the pasta and mix it in the saucepan allowing drops of the starched water to mix with the sauce for better emulsion, stir for 30 seconds, drizzle a few drops of Olive Oil to further enrich the sauce.

quickly transfer the saucepan to the table in the porch, outside your front door,

sprinkle some freshly grated Parmiggiano Reggiano,

garnish with the remaining chopped basil,

sit down & open up a few blond coldies - Nastro Azzurro Export,

.... and watch the soi neighbours scurry thru’ the front gate for their share of pasta 'n' booze.

Enjoy the hot meal with your newly found friends. :)

sigh...sure wish I could find canned tomatoes at my local tescos...anybody have a quick recipie for making pasta sauce with fresh plum tomatoes?

if you are gonna make your own, begin with canned Roma tomatoes. sorry but the fresh versions of tomatoes here are so lame unless they are imported on the vine IMO.

sigh...sure wish I could find canned tomatoes at my local tescos...anybody have a quick recipie for making pasta sauce with fresh plum tomatoes?

if you are gonna make your own, begin with canned Roma tomatoes. sorry but the fresh versions of tomatoes here are so lame unless they are imported on the vine IMO.

That's because most tomatoes here are picked green and ripen during shipment on the way to market. The result is tomato with a lower pH (tart) and pinkish color.

For this reason, we had to make a special arrangement with a grower up north to pick them vine-ripened for us, so we can procure tomatoes with a nice deep red color, sweeter taste, and higher pH. We also had to arrange special logistics to expedite them to our door in good time.

That's because most tomatoes here are picked green and ripen during shipment on the way to market. The result is tomato with a lower pH (tart) and pinkish color.

For this reason, we had to make a special arrangement with a grower up north to pick them vine-ripened for us, so we can procure tomatoes with a nice deep red color, sweeter taste, and higher pH. We also had to arrange special logistics to expedite them to our door in good time.

looks like I'm doomed...forever to dwell in Prego's Pasta Sauce Purgatory... :)

looks like I'm doomed...forever to dwell in Prego's Pasta Sauce Purgatory... :)

If you are in Suphanburi.... that's not too far from Singburi.

You can find Nana Pasta Sauce sauce at the supermarket that's on the ground floor of Chaisaeng Department Store in Singburi (click banner at top of this forum).

supermarkets (anywhere in the world, not just Thailand) have habits of purchasing vegetables not yet ripen for convenience (they can be displayed longer) and aesthetics (customers are attracted to shiny perfectly formed vegetables, even though they're tasteless). Furthermore they compound the problem in storing (and re-storing) vegetables in cold cellars for long period of time, to preserve that shiny "fresh" looks longer. Your best bet is the local farmer market, vegs are uglier and unven sized in comparison to supermarkets, but in terms of flavours are miles ahead.

Apart from that, just follow my previous post (it was written using fresh tomatoes), it doesn't get any easier and quicker than that. Best variety of tomatoes is San Marzano, it has thicker flesh and less seeds, full on flavour - but it's highly unlikely you'll find them in Thailand, hence you'll have to make do with the local variety.

Edited by Sarge