First Beer Engine On The Isle Of Man

Sulby Glen Hotel unveils the beer engine

TH1_15200920BeerEngine_1_294x300.jpg

29 April 2009 By JOHN TURNER THE Isle of Man's first Honda in-line four beer engine has been installed at the Sulby Glen Hotel. The equipment, a modified Honda bike engine, uses an electric pump to pour four different beers via its four exhaust ports and is a copy of one spotted by Sulby Glen directors Rosie and Eddie Christian on a pub trip to Germany last year.

'It was the brainchild of Hans Georg Petrovic from Waltrop in Germany,' Rosie said.

'He is president of the Waltrop Motorrad Club which has been visiting the Isle of Man for TT and at other times since 1967.

'On a trip to Waltrop we said how we liked the beer engine in their club house and he replied "if you like it then you too shall have one. I will make it specially for you".'

The engine was donated from a restoration project belonging to Sulby Glen customer Norman Cunningham and first had to be liberated from the clutches of nature.

'On arriving at his house it was discovered that the motorcycle was not as accessible as first thought. The tree that was growing through it had to be cut down and then the frame of the bike cut,' Rosie said.

Salvage operation complete, the engine was handed over to Mr Petrovic who effected the transformation back in Germany before returning it carried on a sidecar outfit.

The beer lines have been threaded up through the barrels and it has been completely stripped and repainted.

'It is appropriate because it is a Honda and it is emission-free,' Rosie said.

Rosie and Eddie thanked Mr Cunningham for his donation, Mr Petrovic for his work on the conversion and John Cojeen of Heron and Brearley for his technical services connecting all the beer lines and ensuring they worked correctly, not to mention Tony Temple who located the right size and shape of beer badges for the front of the engine.

Firing up the equipment to serve its inaugural pints were sidecar driver and Southern 100 winner Matthew Sayle, sidecar passenger and solo rider TT, southern 100 and Manx Grand Prix winner Daniel Sayle and two times world enduro champion, Sulby resident David Knight.

Bikes in Thailand: First Beer Engine On The Isle Of Man.....so may i assume that the Isle of Man has already been annexed to Thailand, that's actually a great news guys, considering the current british economy (ie: GBP) that's surely one of the best things i heard since the Islas Malvinas changed name! :)

Bikes in Thailand: First Beer Engine On The Isle Of Man.....so may i assume that the Isle of Man has already been annexed to Thailand, that's actually a great news guys, considering the current british economy (ie: GBP) that's surely one of the best things i heard since the Islas Malvinas changed name! :)

Typical snotty comment from the sort of smart-arse that people do warn you about on this forum...... if you were a regular contributor to this biking sub-forum (I'm a newbie myself but hoping to become an old hand here) you'd realise that bikers belong to a universal brotherhood, and stories like this are appreciated wherever you go. Do you have any inkling what the IOM means to bikers?

Typical snotty comment from the sort of smart-arse that people do warn you about on this forum...... if you were a regular contributor to this biking sub-forum (I'm a newbie myself but hoping to become an old hand here) you'd realise that bikers belong to a universal brotherhood, and stories like this are appreciated wherever you go. Do you have any inkling what the IOM means to bikers?

Seconded.

Seconded.

then i would just say that as i am not sure of what is all this about,i agree too for the sake of my scooter, anybody else want to join the caravan? somehow in this country i feel more attracted by the many sisters around, love and peace :)