Best Beer In Chiang Mai?

chiangmaioldhand

I was invited to the Chiang Mai German Brewey last night and having not been there for a long time I had forgotten how good the beer is, espescially the Weizen beer, which is excellent. The place is geared towards the locals and as such it was pretty quiet. Bearing in mind the downturn in the economy, that's not so surprising. 

Not many farang. One other guy by himself, other than our group. 

Does anyone else have any experience of this  place? What do you think about the beer? I think it's the best in N.Thailand for sure, and possibly the whole country. The beers are being brewed by a passionate German brewmaster, and it shows.

I agree.... best beer in town but the atmosphere sucks.

From what I've heard, the big beer companies (Chang, Singha, etc) have a near-monopoly on locations. The microbrewery can only sell its products at a limited number of places in town. Perhaps someone else here can confirm.

Just from looking around that doesn't seem to be the case.. Lots of places have beers that don't come from either Thaibev or Boon Rawd, and not just Heinken/Tiger either.

Look at the selection available at No. 1 bar for example, also the tap beers. (Not to mention the atmosphere. :) )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Admittedly it's location is not the best (but parking should not be a problem) and I have been promising myself to visit and imbibe some.

I will put it into my program of things to do.

Atmosphere "what's that"

In the antipodes we had bars that had 40 odd bar men and 30 cash registers (all busy) no carpet on the floor (it would have been awash)

Things have changed for the better I must say.

There was even a beer there called Steinlager that was awarded the gold medal for the best beer in the world in competitions held over several years in Holland. "maybe it was influenced by the fact that any Dutch folk who were not in Holland lived in the antipodes"

Where are you 'BB' It's not just the All Blacks who put the antipodes on the map.

BUT I am glad we are still on the same side "us against the rest"

We could have even put someone up against the "Hitman" this morning with a good chance of coming out on top.

Edited by john b good

Just from looking around that doesn't seem to be the case.. Lots of places have beers that don't come from either Thaibev or Boon Rawd, and not just Heinken/Tiger either.

Look at the selection available at No. 1 bar for example, also the tap beers. (Not to mention the atmosphere. :) )

I think that is exactly Earl's point. There are hardly any other beers on tap anywhere. I am only familiar with a few places that have more than two beers on tap. No where that the german brewery beer is available. Doesn't that seem odd? There are hundreds of restaurants in town and all they ever have on tap is Thai beer or a few select UK beers. Everything else is in the bottle. I have heard the same about this monopoly. The lack of local beers on tap is proof enough for me, and it sucks.

I was invited to the Chiang Mai German Brewey last night and having not been there for a long time I had forgotten how good the beer is, espescially the Weizen beer, which is excellent. The place is geared towards the locals and as such it was pretty quiet. Bearing in mind the downturn in the economy, that's not so surprising.

Does anyone else have any experience of this place? What do you think about the beer? I think it's the best in N.Thailand for sure, and possibly the whole country. The beers are being brewed by a passionate German brewmaster, and it shows.

I've been there on several occasions with my German brewmaster BIL. They serve very good beer as does the new German microbrewery that has taken the location of "The Resort" on the river. The latter ships their beer or concentrate (I forget which) up from their Rangsit location microbrewery. Try the Weizen Boch (at the former), I think you'll enjoy it, but perhaps not too many.

I think that is exactly Earl's point. There are hardly any other beers on tap anywhere. I am only familiar with a few places that have more than two beers on tap. No where that the german brewery beer is available. Doesn't that seem odd? There are hundreds of restaurants in town and all they ever have on tap is Thai beer or a few select UK beers. Everything else is in the bottle. I have heard the same about this monopoly. The lack of local beers on tap is proof enough for me, and it sucks.

Doesn't the lady with the German restaurant at the Night Bazaar also have a German Beer Garden on Loi Kroh with Paulaner on tap?

Doesn't the lady with the German restaurant at the Night Bazaar also have a German Beer Garden on Loi Kroh with Paulaner on tap?

She has a whacking great sign up outside, but I can't say I have tried it.

Does anyone else have any experience of this place? What do you think about the beer? I think it's the best in N.Thailand for sure, and possibly the whole country. The beers are being brewed by a passionate German brewmaster, and it shows.

I've been there on several occasions with my German brewmaster BIL. They serve very good beer as does the new German microbrewery that has taken the location of "The Resort" on the river. The latter ships their beer or concentrate (I forget which) up from their Rangsit location microbrewery. Try the Weizen Boch (at the former), I think you'll enjoy it, but perhaps not too many.

Yep. I like the Weizen Bock. Especially during the 2 for 1 between 6-8pm.

Chiangmaioldhand,

I agree with you. A bunch of our Thai/Farang acquaintances and friends really enjoy the Brewery (specially the Dunkle and Weizen Bock) and their food. The show is, for us, a great mix of old photos and old music through to contemporary music, dancers, and singers. We try to go there every so often, specially when we want a change in beer.

That is my watering hole in general and it's close to home. I go there with my Thai friends and they seem to enjoy the beer as well not to mention I have taught them to use smaller glasses and no ice. I can't really stand Thai beer which may be a good thing as I drank quite a bit more in my country then I do here, actually since I have been here I have cut back my drinking by 90% because of the quality of affordable beverages (in my opinion). I almost busted a gut laughing when I went into Rimping and saw they were selling Budweiser pony bottles (9 oz.) for 125B hel_l I would charge you at least 1000B to drink it but I would never pay for that. Other than that I guess the UN Irish Pub when I get into the city is the most comfortable place, friendly, peaceful and I have never seen a fight, the Guinness really hits the spot on a hot day and the food is good.

For a moment there I thought the Red Lion was going to be mentioned. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't O'Malleys sell beer from the German Thai Brewery? I've seen the braumeister drinking in there.

Can you get free water?

Edited by Boksida

For a moment there I thought the Red Lion was going to be mentioned. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't O'Malleys sell beer from the German Thai Brewery? I've seen the braumeister drinking in there.

Can you get free water?

Correct. O'Malley's sells their Dunkel Weisssbier.

Free? 

Edited by chiangmaioldhand

For a moment there I thought the Red Lion was going to be mentioned. :D

Can you get free water?

Correct. O'Malley's sells their Dunkel Weisssbier.

Free? 

Yes, he will bring his own "carry-on Nano-Brewery", the malt and hops and will make some of his own at some of the tables in the far back of the venue.... :) that's why!

Some of the big Thai places (Goodview for sure) have contracts with one of the major breweries that restricts them to selling their products. Most other places don't.

From ThaiBev website:

Federbrau is the only beer brewed in Thailand using a manufacturing process that meets the German Purity Law, which we strictly adhere to by using the finest natural ingredients, exacting manufacturing processes and a unique fermentation method.

Thais can enjoy rich and delicate Federbrau from a green bottle with a 'Red Feather' that reflects its delicate flavour and refreshing taste for any occasion. Federbrau targets the young generation aged between 22-35 who are confident, love freedom, embrace challenges and are always looking for something special to enhance their sophisticated lifestyles. Federbrau has the light flavour of genuine German beer with only 4.7% alcohol, which will inspire our target buyers by meeting their demands to become the trendy choice for all beer lovers.

I have tried it and it is currently my favourite.

From ThaiBev website:

Federbrau is the only beer brewed in Thailand using a manufacturing process that meets the German Purity Law, which we strictly adhere to by using the finest natural ingredients, exacting manufacturing processes and a unique fermentation method.

Thais can enjoy rich and delicate Federbrau from a green bottle with a 'Red Feather' that reflects its delicate flavour and refreshing taste for any occasion. Federbrau targets the young generation aged between 22-35 who are confident, love freedom, embrace challenges and are always looking for something special to enhance their sophisticated lifestyles. Federbrau has the light flavour of genuine German beer with only 4.7% alcohol, which will inspire our target buyers by meeting their demands to become the trendy choice for all beer lovers.

That statement isn't true since the ChiangMai brewery uses the same principles - and it's fresher.

From ThaiBev website:

That statement isn't true since the ChiangMai brewery uses the same principles - and it's fresher.

Yes, and I have tried their beer and quite liked it. Unfortunately, it's a very long way for me so I buy Federbrau in my local store. :)

From ThaiBev website:

In comparison to the German Brewery beer, Federbrau is a poor attempt at good beer, compared to nasty ass Singha, it's great.

She has a whacking great sign up outside, but I can't say I have tried it.

Paulaner is OK

She's about 28 with jugs around 34C at a guess.

Great taste and no hangover :)

Edited by john b good

Got to admit the beer at the Microbrewery stands head and shoulders above any draught beer served anywhere else in CM.

I'm suprised that it's not sold in other pubs around town. A nice Dunkle on tap might even persuade me to drink at the Red Lion :)

word has it on the very quiet grape vine, anonymouse, that RL may be getting it in, subject to a very high powered meeting shortly. As I have posted earlier, you can get the dark, Dunkel stuff in O'Malleys already, RL is considering the weissbier I believe... well thats what KH said after several cups of coffee and a chicken & cashew nuts tonight!

word has it on the very quiet grape vine, anonymouse, that RL may be getting it in, subject to a very high powered meeting shortly. As I have posted earlier, you can get the dark, Dunkel stuff in O'Malleys already, RL is considering the weissbier I believe... well thats what KH said after several cups of coffee and a chicken & cashew nuts tonight!

Why not the weissbier and the Dunkel?, I'm sorry to say that even half price beer wouldn't lure me into O'malleys :)

Edited by anonymouse

Why not the weissbier and the Dunkel?

Draft beers need to sell, so it's a question of keeping them fresh by ensuring you sell enough. Also, with 3 other draft beers in stock , space behind the bar for chillers, kegs and gas becomes a factor. I'm considering getting the Weizen, so I opened this topic to see what folk thought of these beers. If I were to get it in, it might not be for a few months as May/June is normally very quiet.