Viakha Bucha Day

MaeRimMan

Does anyone know whether the bars will have to close in Chiang Mai this Friday? It's Visakha Bucha Day celebrating the birth enlightenment and death of the Buddha. One of the features of the Buddhas enlightenment was that people could only find enlightnement for themselves, not through the actions of others - which would seem to make an alcohol ban anti-Buddhist, still does anyone know if everywhere must not serve or whether restaurants can carry on?

Does anyone know whether the bars will have to close in Chiang Mai this Friday? It's Visakha Bucha Day celebrating the birth enlightenment and death of the Buddha. One of the features of the Buddhas enlightenment was that people could only find enlightnement for themselves, not through the actions of others - which would seem to make an alcohol ban anti-Buddhist, still does anyone know if everywhere must not serve or whether restaurants can carry on?

of course there is an alcohol ban. its visakha bucha.

go get yourself some alcohol before friday and plan a private party. don't forget to invite us :)

You say 'of course theres an alcohol ban' tigerbeer, but there hasn't been for at least the last 3 years, its just been an 'advisory' whixh almost everyone chose to ignore.

Of course I'll have a few drinkies at home if there is a ban, but I do enjoy Friday nights out!

i can assure you that its not an advisory. bar owners are instructed not to sell.

Nope, its definitely advisory, the BIB advise the bars not to sell alcohol and then advise them what will happen if they don't follow their friendly advice :)

In any case, most Thai owned bars understand that selling alcohol is extremely disrespectful and choose not too.

Personally I think the sneaking around part makes it more fun.

Of course I respect people choosing not to drink; intoxicating substances are after all strongly advised against in Buddhism.

It would be even better if it worked the other way around as well, i.e. everyone also respecting the people who wish to party as normal. Nirvana can wait. :)

Either way I'll move my Friday's night's out to Thursday. Then hangover day moves from Saturday to Friday. Solved. :D

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

i can assure you that its not an advisory. bar owners are instructed not to sell.

Nope, its definitely advisory, the BIB advise the bars not to sell alcohol and then advise them what will happen if they don't follow their friendly advice :D

In any case, most Thai owned bars understand that selling alcohol is extremely disrespectful and choose not too.

I think that places with 'entertainment' are asked not to open, but regular pub/restaurants make their own decision.

I've never been asked to close or seen any of the  letters that supposedly goes around. I've always stayed open and never had a problem. Plenty of big Thai pub/restaurants now stay open , but maybe cancel the live music.

Unbelievably(?) I've heard tales of Farang bar-owners telling police 'If I'm not allowed to open, why don't you go to this bar/restaurant and tell them to close?' !!. :)

according to my Thaim Press Monitor (Father -in-Law), the Prime ministers office order that would have turned the voluntary booze ban into a compulsory closure has not yet been signed (which makes Abhisit about as efficient as Samak) but still. good news all round, we should be open!