Anyone Order Furniture Online From Chiang Mai

MisterMan

I would like to buy a piece or 2 of furniture, (need a dresser, lots of drawars) and I don't want that fake over priced pseudo-wood from index..

However i know that a lot of the other furniture comes from Chiang Mai.

I would be happy to ordder online and have shipped.

Anyone recommend any furniture store sites?

I posted in the CM forum too.

Thanks

I would like to buy a piece or 2 of furniture, (need a dresser, lots of drawars) and I don't want that fake over priced pseudo-wood from index..

However i know that a lot of the other furniture comes from Chiang Mai.

I would be happy to ordder online and have shipped.

Anyone recommend any furniture store sites?

I posted in the CM forum too.

Thanks

I don't know of any sites that allow you to actually order online, but I imagine any shop that has a website will most likely be charging higher (i.e. farang) prices. All of the furniture in our house was custom made - some was ordered from a shop in Bangkok, and the rest was ordered from a small shop in Chiang Mai (Hang Dong area).

In my experience, the real teak furniture available from shops in Phuket is way overpriced. The possible exception is the newish shop in Kathu on the road to Tesco/Lotus at the 2nd intersection with a traffic light (coming from Patong). I think the name is "Rich Furniture" - we had a very good experience there, and noticed that their prices are more inline with the shops in Chiang Mai. They can probably make something of your own design if they don't have something in stock that you like.

The shop in Bangkok has a website where you can see some of their standard furniture, but no prices are listed. http://www.furnitureway.net We bought 3 large custom teak "built-in" wall units from them, built from detailed plans I provided. One was a large combination TV cabinet, wardrobe and dresser with 12 drawers. Excellent workmanship, but expensive. I believe they make all of their furniture somewhere in Chiang Mai. Shipping to Phuket was 9,000 baht in their own truck - and included 3 guys to set everything up for us.

The small shop in Chiang Mai (Hang Dong) also built everything from detailed plans we provided (2 beds, 4 nightstands, desk and credenza). Much cheaper prices. They also arranged all shipping, and even consolidated orders from other shops in the area into one shipment for us. There are several shops like this on the road from Hang Dong to Ban Thawai. The shop we ordered from was called "TTT".

I agree with you about the kind of "plastic over sawdust" furniture that seems to be so popular. There's no substitute for real hardwood and craftsmanship. Ordering furniture online can be a little risky however, unless you're already familiar with the quality of product offered by the particular vendor. You might want to consider combining a little holiday with some furniture shopping in Chiang Mai so that you can see the quality of what's offered. Most of the shops are located about 10-15km south of Chiang Mai in the Hang Dong area.

Try desiam-antiques.com. The website only has a small selection of what they have on offer.

We have furnished most of our house with their things. Beautiful antique Burmese (British colonial), solid, strong......

They have two shops and a huge warehouse in Hang Dong Chiang Mai.

My wife and I have gone up a couple of times for a few days break just to shop there. I love Hang Dong. Fantastic selection, styles.... and prices - some scary, though, you do need to roam about and compare.

Prices have gone up but I haven't seen anything in Phuket to compare.

They will organise shipping, too.

There are lots of other great shops up there for furniture, too. Take your measurements and they will build just about anything for you. I think most of what you see in Phuket is actually built either there or in Bangkok.

The furniture section of Chatuchak market in Bangkok is also very good, there is an antique chinese furniture shop there, they have a couple of big shops elsewhere in Bangkok, too. Lovely stuff, if you prefer that style. That is bso-antiques.com