Monday Night Frugal Dinner Group.

Hawaii Bob and Roger F. have organized a weekly outing of members and guests of Pattaya City Expat Club to locate quality dining at affordable prices. Our goal is complete dinner for less than B200 + drinks. Watch this forum or PM me to get on the e-mail list of upcoming dinner plans.

Mahalo

Our first meeting took place Monday May 4th and was a resounding success. We met at a new Japanese Restaurant called Wasabi Tei. Open only a couple of months with seating for only 25 people our group put them on overwhelm. I had notified them a week earlier that we would be coming so be prepared but in typical Thai style their preparation was nil.

Our group consisted of 15 people and 6 of their relatives were already seated when we got there. They are open from 11am to 2am but I would bet this Monday exceeded their previous record sales day. We were all patient knowing that we put them on overwhelm but the result proved that our group will work and we look forward to our next outing on May 11th.

I was the biggest (fattest) one there so my bill was the largest but for 2 people it consisted of 2 large Leos, 1 coke, a large delicious seafood salad, order of Kimchee radish, large order of Tempura vegetables, large order of Suki Yaki, Enoki mushrooms wrapped in bacon.

Total bill including 10% discount was B450, (yes because we asked and because of our large group he gave everyone a 10% discount) hard to beat that for a great Japanese dinner. The owner/chef is Thai but worked 6 years as a chef in Japan and is excited to come back to Thailand and open his own restaurant.

We all participate in a rating system and I will report the results in this forum and to the Pattaya City Expat club weekly.

1st we rate Food (price, quality, value) this got a average rating of 4.16 out of possible 5. 2nd we rate Service (Attitude, accuracy, speed) and despite the slowness still got a average of 3.8 out of 5. Last is Facilities (location, parking, cleanliness, parking) and the average was 3.42.

Our next outing scheduled for Monday May 11th is to the Seaside 2 restaurant on Soi Chaiyapoon. Larger facilities, more staff, great prices, PM me if you wish to be on our e-mailing list.

Frugal Freddy Dinner, Monday May 11th 6pm to 8pm

Seaside 2 restaurant, Soi Chaiyapoon

(the street south of Xcite disco off 3rd road near Crazy Daves’)

Menu Samples:

Complete dinners: Entrée, Potato ,(fried, mashed, baked) gravy, steamed vegetables.

1. Roast Beef B120 2. Roast pork B110 3. Roast Chicken B110

4. Roast Lamb B170 5. Braised Beefsteak B110 6. Sirloin Steak B140

7. Pepper Steak B140 8. Spare ribs or pork chops B120 9. Lamb chops B200

Other dinners:

Fish and Chips B110 Liver & Bacon & onions B110 Steak and Kidney Pie B110

Sausage & Mash B90 Cottage Pie B90 Be ef Stew B90 Chicken Curry B90

Home made: Mince and onion pie, Chicken Mushroom pie, Spaghetti Bolognaise B90

Soups:

6 kinds of soup (chicken, onion, mushrooms, pea etc.) B30

Salads:

Tossed salad B30, Egg Salad, pork salad B40, Chicken, Beef, Ham B45, Shrimp or Tuna B50

Dessert:

Homemade Apple Pie with ice cream or custard on top B55 Ice cream B25 with banana b35, Apple crumble with blueberry sauce, or ice cream or custard B75.

We meet at 6pm be early or on time, there are no reserved seats and due to low prices and popularity of restaurants seating together may not be a option.

• 2 weeks later...

We rate the restaurants on a 50 point basis 10 points = 1 star, We rate food (Price, Quality, Value) Service (attitude, accuracy, speed) Facilities (Location, Parking, Cleanliness, seating) Our first restaurant Wasabi Tei rated 3.9 stars.

Our second restaurant Seaside 2 did even better. On a 50 point basis 10 points = 1 star, We rate food (Price, Quality, Value) Service (attitude, accuracy, speed) Facilities (Location, Parking, Cleanliness, seating) Our second rated 4.3 our of 5

Tonight for our 3rd outing we will be meeting at Boat Bakery, probably the most inexpensive Western food restaurant in Pattaya with things like pork chop dinner B78 (see pictures on link above from Cheap Charlie posting). They also have a take out menu of nice large coated pieces of fried Chicken for B20 for leg and B25 for Thighs. Come join us or please feel free to post suggestions on other restaurants you have tried that you think would fit our Frugal Freddy guidelines.

It would be nice if someone could organize something like this in BKK.  I used to belong to a dining club in San Diego, and it was nice to have a reason to go out and socialize with folks.