Vietnam Or Cambodia?

I have to leave around the 12th of July to activate the 2nd year of my Non O-A visa. Rather than do the usual quick one day run to Mae Sai/Burma and back home to Chiang Mai that same day, I thought I'd make a short - maybe 5-6 days or so vacation out of it. I'm thinking about Cambodia or Vietnam and am hoping for a little feedback from some other members who have traveled in these countries. I'd like to see something a little different, stay somewhere nice but not too expensive...

Any advice/suggestions/recommendations would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

elektrified

Both are great. I usually send my expat staff to Phnom Penh for application or renewal of non-O visas, mainly because of cost. The Thai Embassy staff in Phnom Penh are well used to dealing with these and, as long as your paperwork is in order, usually takes only 1 day. Not too much to see in Phnom Penh that you can't do in a day or 2, so use PNH as a visa stop then get on up to Siem Reap and see the splendour of Angkor Wat once your visa is done, then fly back to Bangkok directly from there.

I have plenty of experience in Vietnam and have been there many times for business - however we have never tried visa stuff in Vietnam so have no idea about their efficiency - having said that, again, if paperwork is in order then all should be fine.

I haven't been to Vietnam for nearly 10 years, so it may have changed, but hopefully not too much yet. If you've never been, Vietnam is well worth a visit.

I can't give any recommendations as it's been so long

Depends what you're looking for during your break. I did 2 short breaks to Sihanoukville earlier this year.... loved it. But I'm an middle-aged party animal who misses the hunger from Pattaya way back when, and Snooky's got it in buckets, along with a decent crowd of expats, cheap as chips and very tasty draught beer, decent hotels, good food to be found, lovely beaches and the local nightlife is still hungry as they haven't spent 15-20 years on easy sponsorship, KFC or MacDonalds!

But maybe you're after a cultural tour?

Both are great. I usually send my expat staff to Phnom Penh for application or renewal of non-O visas, mainly because of cost. The Thai Embassy staff in Phnom Penh are well used to dealing with these and, as long as your paperwork is in order, usually takes only 1 day. Not too much to see in Phnom Penh that you can't do in a day or 2, so use PNH as a visa stop then get on up to Siem Reap and see the splendour of Angkor Wat once your visa is done, then fly back to Bangkok directly from there.

I have plenty of experience in Vietnam and have been there many times for business - however we have never tried visa stuff in Vietnam so have no idea about their efficiency - having said that, again, if paperwork is in order then all should be fine.

Thanks, but I'm not looking to get a visa. I only need to stamp out and back in.

I have to leave around the 12th of July to activate the 2nd year of my Non O-A visa. Rather than do the usual quick one day run to Mae Sai/Burma and back home to Chiang Mai that same day, I thought I'd make a short - maybe 5-6 days or so vacation out of it. I'm thinking about Cambodia or Vietnam and am hoping for a little feedback from some other members who have traveled in these countries. I'd like to see something a little different, stay somewhere nice but not too expensive...

Any advice/suggestions/recommendations would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

elektrified

Angkor Wat Cambodia is well worth a short visit.

cambodia definately,,sihanoukville is fantastic,,lovely clean beaches,,,parties every night along the many beach bars,,,good crown of very friendy expats down there too,,,hotels 4 star for 20-25 dollar per night near the beaches or in town,,,many many different cafes resturaunts doing spanish,mexican,japanese,korean,french,italian blah blah...75 cents a beer on the beach at bar,,,50 cents downtown,,,10 dollar boom boom,,lots of massageparlours near beach and downtown,,,only 4 hr by car from snookyville back up to border then across to koh chang if you dont fancy staying down there,,you have to see it ,,give the place a chance,,lots of guys on here dont give it a chance,,they think its going to be like pattaya down there,,its nice relaxed and if u want parties,beer,girls,massage its all there for u to enjoy...well worth visit in my book :)

Apples and Oranges. Both countries have their advantages (and disadvantages).

If it is party, booze, and girls then Cambodia might be a better choice. And Angkor Wat is of course a huge draw.

I find Vietnam more varied; huge differences between Ha Noi in the North, Hue and Hoi An in the Center, and HCMC and the Mekong Delta in the South.