Excise Tax Rises On Liquor, Beer

churchill

It probably means you need to drink one bottle less to stay in pocket, its £3 a pint in the uk get real guys!!

What does the price of beer in the UK have to do with it?

If they put the price in the UK up to 4 pound a pint, would you happily accept it? If not and someone said to you "It's 8 pounds a pint in Denmark, get real guy!!" You would probably say "What does the price of beer in Denmark have to do with it?

PS. I don't know how much beer is in Denmark - this is just an example, I just know that beer in a pub in Denmark used to be much more expensive than in the UK.

What the price in the Uk or denmark or anywhere else for that matter has to do with it is it is still cheaper over here than where I come from.

Its not a case of happily accepting it, what can you do about it? Nothing !! Its immaterial which country you are in , if the government raises the taxes on anything you just have to live with it. what makes you think the prices will stay static just to please boozy farangs or anyone else for that matter; When I have to whine about a few Baht on a bottle of beer its time to leave as I said in my earlier post..just drink one bottle less and you will probably be in pocket.

Edited by Tafia

Thanks for this explanation. Its certainly a novel system to say the least.

At the end of the day on a personal note, I would still far rather be drinking a beer in Thailand,than back in the UK whatever the relative prices are. :)

It probably means you need to drink one bottle less to stay in pocket, its £3 a pint in the uk get real guys!!

If they put the price in the UK up to 4 pound a pint, would you happily accept it? If not and someone said to you "It's 8 pounds a pint in Denmark, get real guy!!" You would probably say "What does the price of beer in Denmark have to do with it?

PS. I don't know how much beer is in Denmark - this is just an example, I just know that beer in a pub in Denmark used to be much more expensive than in the UK.

What the price in the Uk or denmark or anywhere else for that matter has to do with it is it is still cheaper over here, what makes you think the prices will stay static just to please boozy farangs; When I have to whine about a few Baht on a bottle of beer its time to leave.

You totally miss the point.

This is Thailand - most of the population is Thai. I would imagine that a very small % of the alcohol consumed in Thailand is by Farang.

You may consider that alcohol is cheap, but a lot of Thais would not agree with you.

If beer is 3 pounds a pint in the UK, that means a low paid worker, working 50 hours a week could buy 100 pints.

A low paid Thai working 50 hours can buy about 20 in Thailand.

Edited by loong

What the price in the Uk or denmark or anywhere else for that matter has to do with it is it is still cheaper over here, what makes you think the prices will stay static just to please boozy farangs; When I have to whine about a few Baht on a bottle of beer its time to leave.

You totally miss the point.

This is Thailand - most of the population is Thai. I would imagine that a very small % of the alcohol consumed in Thailand is by Farang.

You may consider that alcohol is cheap, but a lot of Thais would not agree with you.

If beer is 3 pounds a pint in the UK, that means a low paid worker, working 50 hours a week could buy 100 pints.

A low paid Thai working 50 hours can buy about 20 in Thailand.

I would doubt that bearing the cost of living in Uk; but everyone is entitled to their opinion I just find it quite frustrating to listen to Farangs complain (in Bars) when they have no choice other than pay or go without and it probably will only effect them buying one beer less for the same amount of spends

This taxation thing will lead to more contraband from Cambodia being smuggled in and more Lao Khao consumed.

Keep going to the well until there is no more water left.

If the powers that be knew anything about booze consumption and spending habits, they would realise quickly that lower prices would attract more consumption and more taxes.

Or as one bar owner I know once told me, more revenue on drinks is earned in the last two hours of the evening than over the first 5-6.

Meaning, as people get liquored up, they begin to spend bigger and more often. The key is getting them there in the first place.

I wonder what would happen if everyone gave up smoking and drinking - would they double the taxes to make up for it? :)

I would doubt that bearing the cost of living in Uk; but everyone is entitled to their opinion I just find it quite frustrating to listen to Farangs complain (in Bars) when they have no choice other than pay or go without and it probably will only effect them buying one beer less for the same amount of spends

So when you said "Get real guys" it was addressed to the Farangs that you listen to in the bars not the people who have posted here.

If you read the thread again, you will see that the main theme is that the posters are puzzled by a 15% increase after an increase of 3% to the duty rate. They are not complaining that it is too expensive.

This has been explained by Monty and it seems that an additional 3% equates to about 10% increase in the retail price. We now know that tax accounts for about 70% of the retail price of beer.

Interesting to see what excise duties have not been increased - Champagne, fine wine, Johny Walker Black Label, all the drinks that the hiso elite swill in their 5 star watering holes! Yet again this government is making it clear who it governs for, and how the ordinary bloke is going to have to pay for it.

The fact that we have the present chaotic state of profiteering and downright theft (cigs up before the tax increase is even made!), shows what a corrupt, rotten dump this place has become under the so-called squeaky-clean Democrats.

What the price in the Uk or denmark or anywhere else for that matter has to do with it is it is still cheaper over here than where I come from.

Its not a case of happily accepting it, what can you do about it? Nothing !! Its immaterial which country you are in , if the government raises the taxes on anything you just have to live with it. what makes you think the prices will stay static just to please boozy farangs or anyone else for that matter; When I have to whine about a few Baht on a bottle of beer its time to leave as I said in my earlier post..just drink one bottle less and you will probably be in pocket.

Are you sure about that?Have you ever bought a pint of genuine British beer in a bar in Thailand.You not gonna get anything for your 3 Pound.