Permanent Residence And Tabien Baan

Anyone know for sure if the final part of the PR process at the amphur office includes putting your name in the blue tabien baan where you live?

I never checked after the 1-hour process at the amphur, when the book was returned to my landlady, but now I find my name isn't there.

When I applied for a driving licence last year, they told me since I had PR they needed to see my tabien baan and get my 13-digit number from it. Since I didn't bring it they said they could get the number from their computer, but then there was some problem and another person's name came up when they entered my info. In the end they used my passport number but said I must bring the tabien baan when I apply for the 5-year licence.

So, now I'm wondering what's going on. Should my name and number be on my landlady's tabien baan or not? If not, how am I supposed to have the 13-digit number the Ministry of Transport says I should have and which my bank now says I need if I want to avoid the lower "foreigner" rates of interest for fixed deposits?

perhaps it is a simple matter of them forgetting to print it into the book? Maybe you should go back and check with the book in tow?

ubonjoe - foreigners with PR go into the blue book. I think it is a requirement.

perhaps it is a simple matter of them forgetting to print it into the book? Maybe you should go back and check with the book in tow?

Yep. I just had someone call the amphur. It seems the meticulous individual who interrogated me for an hour (and even asked my blood type) screwed up. He forgot to have my details printed in the book. So, back to the amphur with my landlady...

Yep. I just had someone call the amphur. It seems the meticulous individual who interrogated me for an hour (and even asked my blood type) screwed up. He forgot to have my details printed in the book. So, back to the amphur with my landlady...

You have a very cooperative landlady. Mine flatly refused to have my family added to the tabien baan of the apartment we rented from her. She said (not surprisingly) that she had never heard of a foreigner being on a tabien baan and was positive it wasn't possible. My guess is the real reason was that she wasn't declaring the rental income on her taxes and wanted to avoid any unnecessary interaction with the government in case someone put two and two together.

In the end a friend volunteered his tabien baan to enable us to complete the PR process. Six months later I bought our own condo and transferred the family across to that blue book.

Yes I am 100% sure I am on the tabien baan (blue book).

How do you move from one tabien baan to a other one what documents do you need and do you need the owner of the old house to sign or help doing this ?

Of topic question I am leaving the country for the first time sinds I got my PR 3 years ago.

I got a reentry permit in my passport (multiple non quota reentry visa) and an endorsment in the blue certificate of residency book.

Anything I need to do when leaving or entering Thailand other then present both books at the gateways for Thai/Resident going out and in thru customs ?

Edited by brianinbangkok

Anything I need to do when leaving or entering Thailand other then present both books at the gateways for Thai/Resident going out and in thru customs ?

When you check in, ask for an Embarkation card and fill it in. Sometimes the airline staff don't know about this and you have to explain that you are a resident and therefore don't have one stapled in your passport. It'll be stapled in your passport while you're out of the country and removed when you return.

Thanks Camerata, do you happen to know any document nr or is it same as the Thai nationals use ?

When I leave is there separate customs exit for Thai nationals/residents and anothers for visitors?

Sofar I never noticed this , I do see they have have this for arrivals and I must go thu the nationals/residents one now.

Edited by brianinbangkok

Thanks Camerata, do you happen to know any document nr or is it same as the Thai nationals use ?

It's the same one the tourists use except the procedure is reversed. Instead of embarking overseas you are embarking in Thailand. Just ask for an Embarkation Card.

When I leave is there separate customs exit for Thai nationals/residents and anothers for visitors?

Sofar I never noticed this , I do see they have have this for arrivals and I must go thu the nationals/residents one now.

Yes. There are channels for "Thai Passport Holders" and for "Foreign Passport Holders." You are allowed to go through the Thai channel, but keep your Residence Book in full view in your hand or an official will likely tell you to go to the foreigner channel. Don't be surprised if the Immigration officer chats with you in Thai. It's happened to me a couple of times.

You have a very cooperative landlady. Mine flatly refused to have my family added to the tabien baan of the apartment we rented from her.

Yes, mine is very friendly and I've been renting from her for over a decade while other condos in the building are often vacant. Like most Thais she tends to avoid contact with officialdom as much as possible and doesn't have a tabien baan for her own condo or mine. She uses the original tabien baan for the office when the building had just been built.

Well, there is a happy ending to this story. The landlady found she missed a page when she copied the tabien baan, and my details are in fact on it.

Some good information coming from TV member Arkady is that if you don't want to bother the owner of your residence for the tabien baan you can go to the amphur office and have a page of your details printed out as a temporary certificate. It has an expiry date, so you can't use it forever. But you can use this in lieu of the original tabien baan for many purposes.

Well, there is a happy ending to this story. The landlady found she missed a page when she copied the tabien baan, and my details are in fact on it.

Some good information coming from TV member Arkady is that if you don't want to bother the owner of your residence for the tabien baan you can go to the amphur office and have a page of your details printed out as a temporary certificate. It has an expiry date, so you can't use it forever. But you can use this in lieu of the original tabien baan for many purposes.

That's true - You can get these certificates made up in minutes at any dictrict office, not just your local one. Their period of validity seems to depend more on what you use them for, rather than the date which appears on them. Depending on the district office, they may charge you 10 Baht for each one, or give them to you for free. Just show an expired one, along with some ID, to get new ones made up while you wait.

They are very useful, and suffice as a substitute Tabien Bahn wherever you need to show one, saving the inconveinence of asking the home owner for the original - always keep a few handy.

Edited by dbrenn