Job Vancancy: British Honorary Consul In Chiangmai

Boater

Well its gone up from the days when my father was Hon. Brit. Con (early nineties). He received 1000 pounds per year...but my mum got 1600 for being the secretary! Very cute. They loved the job though and thoroughly enjoyed it.

But the 1000 baht or so I gave him to sign the letter in support of a driving licence (that I had to fill in!) .... that went into his back pocket right? I sincerely hope so. 

If I remember rightly, you lived in a wonderful house of Nimmanheimen somewhere - do you still live there?

Sorry, too young to care much about finances in those, days but think my parents were well out of pocket as they would always invite backpackers who lost their moneybelts to spend the night, then my mum would take them elephant riding, often we had our guestrooms filled with random Brits who were in trouble! It wasn't a professional operation in those days, but I must say that my parents took the job waaay beyond what they had to. (Remember being at Edinburgh uni one time and I got a visit from someone also at my uni at my dorm with a 50 quid note which they were paying back my parents for lending to them in Chiang Mai!)

• 4 months later...
I think the biggest stumbling block would be the payment of 1500 pounds per anum. They seem to want a heck of a lots out of you for that measly amount of money

true, but if you have a buiness in Chaing Mai it can be very beneficial

I have already sent my application in.

As Tennis Captain and a Member In Good Standing at The Chiengmai Gymkhana Sports Club, I think there's no doubt that the job is mine. To those that were thinking of applying, I can only say 'Hard cheese, better luck next time, old boy'. :)

Anyone for Tennis?

You're not still running with two TV names are you :D

And I didn't see you on the courts when I was there last week.

I've heard the honorary Australian consul is a good bloke. And he does the job, unlike the BC, without charging 3,900 baht per signature to British citizens who have already spent a lifetime being ripped off by their government.

I'm British but it's absolutely disgusting the way the British government freezes the pensions of war heroes when they move to Thailand yet hands out houses and benefits to anyone who says they are a foreigner when they arrive in the UK.

Edited by Loaded

I've heard the honorary Australian consul is a good bloke. And he does the job, unlike the BC, without charging 3,900 baht per signature to British citizens who have already spent a lifetime being ripped off by their government.

I'm British but it's absolutely disgusting the way the British government freezes the pensions of war heroes when they move to Thailand yet hands out houses and benefits to anyone who says they are a foreigner when they arrive in the UK.

its back with the EU Court :) ...and I agree their Systems and LAWS are much better/fairer that the scandle known as British (sic) so called Judgement....hopefully next year :D

Court hearing expat pensions case

A case that could affect the pensions of 520,000 Britons who have retired abroad is being heard in the European Court of Human Rights.

A group of 13 pensioners who have moved abroad want their UK state pensions to rise in line with inflation each year.

Inflation-proofing only applies to UK pensioners who live in the European Economic Area or in 15 other countries, but not some Commonwealth states.

The expat pensioners say they have been unfairly discriminated against.

"It is the last chance we've got," said Charles Poole, President of the South African Alliance of British Pensioners (SAABP).

Long running saga

This is the latest stage in a long-running legal challenge and the eventual decision will be the end of the line in the legal process.

The two-hour hearing is taking place in the Strasbourg court on Wednesday, but judgement in the case will not be made until March or April 2010