Utapao-changi Visa Run

I had to do a visa run this weekend, not being particularly interested in spending all day in a minibus travelling to Poipet and back I decided to try Jetstars new flight to Singapore from Utapao. The cost for flying out Sunday evening at 19:10, return flight leaving Changi at 17:15 the following day was 3400 THB including taxes (except for the departure tax payable at Utapao which is 400 THB).

After stopping for something to eat at Changi airport I went to tourist information and booked a hotel in the centre for S$70 (about 1600 THB). Then caught the metro there from the airport. The public transport there is very efficient and inexpensive. I was in my room by 00:30 local time, but it being sunday I decided to stay in for the night and have a clear head to do a bit of sightseeing and shopping the next day.

If you have a bit of money Singapore is a great place for buying things you take for granted in the west such as books, magazines, clothes and I hear electronics are a good buy there compared to Thailand too. With the flight not leaving until the evening there was plenty of time to go around looking for what I wanted and then to have a nice drink by the marina before I got back on the metro about 15:30 to make my flight.

Duty free is good value too, I bought my allowance of 200 Benson and Hedges for S$17 (400THB) saving 300 THB on the cost in Thailand along with a litre of Jack Daniels for S$38 (about 900 THB), not sure what the price in Thailand is, but I expect it's far more expensive. Arriving back at Utapao there was no-one manning customs, so I could have brought back a little more than the allowance. After a 150 THB minibus ride home arriving a little over 24 hours after I had left.

So, for the flight,taxes,hotel, and travel to and from the airports the cost was about 6000 THB. It's a bit more than travelling overland to Poipet and does incur staying overnight, however with the money you can save with your duty free purchases, the chance to buy lots of things that aren't available here aswell as spend a few hours sightseeing I think this new flight is a great way to do a visa run. I enjoyed it a lot more than having to get up at the crack of dawn and spending all morning driving to Cambodia just to turn around and come all the way back.

Cheers,

Konangrit

Konangrit ..... what was the name of the hotel you stayed in? Also on the way back from Utapao how often does the minibus run? (presumably they know when the flight is due in do they?)............... I/m due to do a visa run in March and had looked at Singapore as an option.

Konangrit ..... what  was  the  name  of  the  hotel  you  stayed  in?  Also  on  the  way  back  from  Utapao  how  often  does  the  minibus  run? (presumably  they  know  when  the  flight  is  due  in  do  they?)............... I/m  due  to  do  a  visa  run  in  March  and  had  looked  at  Singapore  as  an  option.

Around Geylang Road the 'Hotel 88' is good value at about S$45 - S$60 per night, but it is in a poorer area of town. Going past the Orchard Road area and into Balmoral Road you have the Garden Hotel and Sloane (? I think) for which the walk-in rate is about S$ 75.

88 can be booked in advance over the internet for that price, but I found the Garden to be S$ 95 over the Internet.

More up-market, but nearer to the touristy areas, the Gallery is about S$ 100 - my travel agent gets it cheaper, but then my company pays higher fares.

Shopping is a pleasure in Singapore, whereas I seldom shop in Pattaya - except at Friendship. (and some bars, of course).

It is also possible to do a one-day trip - leaving Don Muang on the first Thai Air flight at 08.00 and returning at either 19.15 or 20.55. But these are full-frills (ha-ha) flights. This means getting to DM at six in the morning and arriving back at about 11.00 at night - with a trip to Pattaya to follow. But my company saves on hotel bills.

Hi Thaiflyer,

Sorry, I've lost the card from the hotel and don't remember the name. It was on Orchard Road close to many shopping malls and a few stops from the Marina on the Metro. I was happy enough with it, but have never stayed anywhere else in Singapore, so have nothing to compare it with. The walk in rate was S$100, so if you don't have anything booked in advance I suggest doing as I did and getting it booked through the tourist information place in the airport. They are very helpful and have a wide choice to choose from depending on your budget and which area you wish to stay. I'm sure Humphreys' suggestions will be better than where I stayed as he has had a lot more experience staying in Singapore than me.

As to the minibus I assume that it leaves after every flight as there aren't too many from Utapao. The only people on it were from my flight and it waited for everyone to come out of the arrival lounge before leaving, so you shouldn't miss it. A taxi will cost an extortionate 800 Baht, maybe even 850. Not sure if they have a service to the airport or not, but I would guess so. Sorry, forget the name of them too, but their office is on Soi Buakhaow.

Have a good trip,

Konangrit

Hi Thaiflyer,

Sorry, I've lost the card from the hotel and don't remember the name. It was on Orchard Road close to many shopping malls and a few stops from the Marina on the Metro. I was happy enough with it, but have never stayed anywhere else in Singapore, so have nothing to compare it with. The walk in rate was S$100, so if you don't have anything booked in advance I suggest doing as I did and getting it booked through the tourist information place in the airport. They are very helpful and have a wide choice to choose from depending on your budget and which area you wish to stay. I'm sure Humphreys' suggestions will be better than where I stayed as he has had a lot more experience staying in Singapore than me.

Cheers anyway.........just having a look on the net now at hotels and rates. :o

Air Asia is cheaper still. 2,500 Baht return.

Unfortunately they only fly from Bangkok and Phuket to Singapore, also, 3400 wasn't their cheapest advertised price, just the one I got for the dates I wished to fly. For some reason airport departure tax is 100 baht cheaper at Utapao than at Don Meuang.

Out of interest I did a little comparison to fly out last sunday of this month, returning next day:

Air Asia:

Sun, 27/02/2005 Flight FD5018

19:00 Depart Bangkok (BKK)

22:10 Arrive Singapore (SIN)

1 Guest X THB1950.00 THB 1950.00 Taxes and Fees (details) THB 150.00

Mon, 28/02/2005 Flight FD5013

15:35 Depart Singapore (SIN)

16:55 Arrive Bangkok (BKK)

1 Guest X THB1299.00 THB 1299.00 Taxes and Fees (details) THB 675.00

Don meuang airport tax THB 500;

Total Amount THB 4574

Jet Star Asia:

Sun, 27 Feb 05 Flight 502

7:10 pm Depart Pattaya

10:20 pm Arrive Singapore

Airfare/Passenger 1,375.00 THB

Service/Passenger (details) 340.00 THB Subtotal/Passenger 1,715.00 THB

Mon, 28 Feb 05 Flight 501

5:15 pm Depart Singapore

6:25 pm Arrive Pattaya

Airfare/Passenger 1,125.00 THB

Service/Passenger (details) 860.00 THB Subtotal/Passenger 1,985.00 THB

Utapao Airport tx THB 400

Total Amount THB 4100.00

As you can see, Air Asia aren't neccesarily any cheaper, and Don Meuang is not as convenient as Utapao.

Admittedly you can get their flights for cheaper if you're willing to be flexible when you fly, but the same is true for Jet Star, just not to the same extent.

I did manage to find a very good deal from Air Asia flying out Wed 02 March at 11:15 arriving 15:00, returning same day at 20:40 arriving back at Bangkok 22:00 for THB 2223 + 500 Don Meuang Airport Tax.

Very cheap and covenient for those living in or near Bangkok.

Does anybody know if you can leave your car down at Utapoa overnight? Ive been told that because its an air force base there is no overnight parking. If this is correct is there somewhere else close by for parking perhaps only a short motorcycle taxi ride from the airport.

FYI- A quick check shows up a couple under $40 a night :o

Fragrance Crystal 2 star hotel

This budget hotel chain his highly recommended ...

50 LOR 18 GEYLANG, SINGAPORE 398824

Dates: 28 Feb 05 - 30 Mar 05

Other info: Per room per night, inclusive of all taxes US$28

Fragrance Pearl 2 star hotel

This budget hotel chain his highly recommended ...

21 LORONG 14 GEYLANG, SINGAPORE 398961

Other info: Per room per night, inclusive of all taxes US$28

Hotel81 - Palace 2 star hotel

The hotel is part of the Hotel 81 chain operati...

25 LORONG 16 GEYLANG, SINGAPORE 398867

Other info: Per room per night, inclusive of all taxes US$38

Hotel81 - Geylang 2 star hotel

20 LORONG 16 GEYLANG, SINGAPORE 398863

Hotel81 - Orchid 2 star hotel

21 LORONG 8 GEYLANG, SINGAPORE 399090

OctopusTravel.com

I have been thinking about trying this service - I like the idea of getting an allocated seat rather than a bun fight to get onboard and fight for a seat. Utapoa is very convenient for Pattaya - about 30-35 minutes drive straight down Sukhumvit road towards Sattahip.

FYI, I have used the SHA (Singapore Hotel Association) airport counter Hotel centre many times in Singapore. My favourite is the Negara Hotel which sells rooms for about 110-120 S$ good 4* hotel adjacent to Orchard Towers and all the shopping area. Walk in rate at the hotel is well over S$200. Also the Holiday Inn on Orchard is pretty good - similar price. Cheaper hotels tend to be older or in the red light district at Geylang but very good prices. Whats nice (and so typical of Singapore) is everything is clearly shown price wise - no weighing you up and then 'plucking' a price out of the air as so often happens at other airports, notably BKK, based on what they think you can pay.

I am moving this to the Thai Visa section to make more people

aware of the possibility.

Thanks for the info.

It also avoids that wasted page in the passport for a Cambodian Visa,

that gets stamped as USED about 1 minute after it is issued.

Thanks for the info.

But when your passport is almost full you can peel it off and let other Immi. stampers use it.

Thanks for the info.

But when your passport is almost full you can peel it off and let other Immi. stampers use it.

Yes the glue on the Cambodian visas is less sticky then others.

A friend of mine did just that, and the next time he went to Cambodia, the immigration officials took it as personal affront..............

Heaven knows why the visa was used, and the stamps showed when he entered and

exited. What more do they need?

Because your passport could be declared invalid if you remove or tamper with any visa page (it is called mutilation).

For US Passport it is outlined on page 4:

"Alteration or mutilation of passport. This passport must not be altered or mutilated in any way. Alteration may make it INVALID, and, if willful, may subject you to prosecution (Title 18 U.S. Code, Section 1543). Only authorized official of the United States or of foreign countries, in connection with official matters, may place stamps or make statements, notations, or additions in this passport. You may amend or update personal information for your own convenience on page 5."

Singapore is my favorite visa run destination. To get away from Thailand a day or two to see some civilization is very refreshing. Air Asia is cheapest, then have Tiger air and Value air. About cheap hotels, go to Geylang. Take subway from airport and get off at Aljunied. Lots of hotels at 40-60 SGD. Also many have short time services. Lots of Thai girls are working in this area as well at night if you cannot stand to miss Thailand a day or two , you can also get a company around here to chat with you about how much you miss Thailand. Of course for a fee.