Upgrade From Opera To Firefox?

astral

I installed Firefox and asked it to import my Opera list of bookmarks.

I do not know where Firefox looked, but it only found a very basic list,

not the archive of urls that I have in Opera.

Can anyone tell me how to get round this, as there is no way to tell

Firefox which directory to look in.

As a result I have gone back to Opera.

Thanks

i have been using opera for awhile, tryed firefox for a day. opera hs was more accessories if you ask me, i especially like turning all the pictures off and using user mode, very helpful on this 36k line. and i like the option of choosing my own background color (gray) , i think it makes it much easier to read.

hi'

you should find indocuments and settings/application data/opera and then inside this you should find afile called "bookmarks", if opera is setup as firefox or netscape ...

can make a search for file: bookmark and show hidden files, you should be able to find it.

once found, copy and paste in

C:\Documents and Settings\your name\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxnumbers.default, when asked to replace just say yes :o

hope it helps a bit

francois

> i have been using opera for awhile, tryed firefox for a day. opera hs was

> more accessories if you ask me, i especially like turning all the pictures off

> and using user mode, very helpful on this 36k line. and i like the option of

> choosing my own background color (gray) , i think it makes it much easier

> to read.

Firefox has all that out of the box, even without add-ons. Tip: Add 'Adblock', with that you can selectively remove pictures from websites, including ads. Like on this site, I have black on white text and only see the buttons as graphical images. Everything else I have turned off.

Cheers,

Chanchao

> i have been using opera for awhile, tryed firefox for a day. opera hs was

> more accessories if you ask me, i especially like turning all the pictures off

> and using user mode, very helpful on this 36k line. and i like the option of

> choosing my own background color (gray) , i think it makes it much easier

> to read.

Firefox has all that out of the box, even without add-ons.  Tip: Add 'Adblock', with that you can selectively remove pictures from websites, including ads.  Like on this site, I have black on white text and only see the buttons as graphical images. Everything else I have turned off.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Yeah 'adblock' is a blast just put it on, thanks for the tip, plus it leads you to all the other 'extensions ' available with firefox I was previously unaware of.

I have found using Opera very problematic in the past, even though I wanted to use it , I had to revert to IE , (possibly because of hitches put in its way by Microsoft?) now I use Firefox no problems. This may however be because of my (low) level of computer proficiency.

Edited by fisherd3

Last night I saved my a Bookmarks from Opera and then deleted Opera.

Reinstalled Opera to make sure the bookmarks were in the standard place, then

installed Firefox.

Firefox made a total ballsup of getting the Opera Bookmarks, not getting passed the first folder of the Bookmark file!!!!

I have looked at the Firefox forum and there are lots of complaints about transfer of bookmarks......... It deletes IE favourites........etc.

Opera is not perfect, but without a good import of Bookmarks, FireFox is useless.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've just updated to the Opera 8 beta (from Opera 7) so I guess you could say I'm hooked on it.

I've tried most of the others and found that most of the problems I have are because of my unfamilarity with the program....nothing being where it used to be, etc....rather than with the application itself.

My point is, I guess, use whatever suits you personally, but sometimes the extra time spent learning to use something new can be worthwhile. (Now, I wonder how long it will take me to understand Thailand... :o)

Regards

BG