Excise Taxes For Cigarettes, Fuel To Rise Soon

george

Furthermore, when are they going to stop calling gasoline/petrol "benzene". I know it's "benzene" in Thai but in English benzene is a completely different solvent.

Gasoline contains benzene. Why is it called gasoline when it is a liquid? :) Besides, not just Thailand uses the term.

"In Germany and some other European countries, gasoline is called Benzin (German), Bensin (Swedish), Benzyna (Polish), Бензин (Russian), and other variants of this word. The usage does not derive from Bertha Benz, who used chemist shops to purchase the gasoline for her famous drive from Mannheim to Pforzheim in 1888, but from the chemical benzene."

Thanks for that, I was unaware of the words for petrol in these other languages. Every time I speak Thai and (in my next life) Russian, Swedish and German I always say benzene of variants thereof. However when I am speaking English I always say petrol except when speaking to speakers of North American English when I say gas. Therein lies the root of the problem. Benzene is a false friend in Thai/English. In Thai it means petrol. In English it means C6H6 (can't get subscript to work).

Anyway back on topic, unchilled Heineken is a staggering 67 Baht per bottle at Foodland up from 57 Baht a bottle. Interestingly, though their range of imported beers such as Kostritzer, Guinness, etc remains unchanged in price.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for those sinners who wanted to quit smoking/drinking.

Also why not tax the whore house as well? Ooops, I forgot. There is no sex business in Thailand. Just massage. Just ask the commerce mininster MaMaSan.

I have been told that it seems the flow on is hitting the 'massage business' as well, more and more 3,000 for a long time is being demanded on the street, best stay at home for your sex tourists.... The bars are full.... of women waiting and doing nothing...

In stark contrast with the Thaksin years where people were better off and prospered.

Indeed, having cheap and toxic lao khao is often a sign of being better off and tremendous prosperity.

Economic growth, GDP, income levels and a massive reduction in those living under the poverty line would be far better indicators I think.

disagree.... that's the way it looks.

The Democrats didn't only look unelectable for 10+ years because of their unpopular economic policies post 1997, they actually weren't elected! Indeed, they were defeated in three landslides!

Fancy that!

This Democrat government seems dead set on history repeating itself with these tax hikes.

Edited by Oberkommando

It seems very strange that the government announced on SUNDAY, that they are considering increasing the tax on cigarettes.

This tax increase is already being charged - many places cigarettes went up by 8 to 10 Baht per pack on SATURDAY.

Exactly my cheapo Wonder have gone up from 32 Baht to 43 Baht That is one hel_l of a tax hike

So we know what the Percentage Tax increase was.

It seems very strange that the government announced on SUNDAY, that they are considering increasing the tax on cigarettes.

This tax increase is already being charged - many places cigarettes went up by 8 to 10 Baht per pack on SATURDAY.

Exactly my cheapo Wonder have gone up from 32 Baht to 43 Baht That is one hel_l of a tax hike

So we know what the Percentage Tax increase was.

Trust my decision to quit smoking 10 years ago was a good one... :)

In stark contrast with the Thaksin years where people were better off and prospered.

Indeed, having cheap and toxic lao khao is often a sign of being better off and tremendous prosperity.

Which is exactly what the locals will turn to after this latest tax hike on "safe" lao khao and other spirits. Of course, this won't apply to the hi-so elite swilling their Champagne and fine fines in their 5 star venues - for some unknown reason these were spared any tax increase! Wonder why?

The phrase "government of the people by the elite for the elite" comes to mind. Maybe the reason why the voters in the North never have (and I think never will) embraced the Democratic Party.

IN USA A 158% TAX HAS BEEN ADDED TO ALL SMOKE PRODUCTS (legal products)

ONE PACKAGE OF 20 CIGS NOW COST $5.35 IN MY AREA AND NEAR 8 us dollar A PACK IN NY.NY.

THIS TAX WONT HURT THAIS~ AS FEW THAIS EVEN SMOKE . (as in majority)

very good compare apples with tomatoes

Bangkok Post writes today:

"MPs approve big increase in tobacco tax

The cost local cigarettes will rise by up to 30 per cent a pack following the House of Representatives' approval of a major increase in the excise tax on tobacco products on Monday."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1436...-up-30-tax-hike

I don't get it. Does it mean, the price increases once more?

I really don't understand it either. From the Bangkokpost:

Reports said this would raise the price of a packet of locally made cigarettes, now selling at 50-70 baht a packet, by 15-17 baht.

Cynics said said it would not discourage smokers, who could well turn to buying imported cigarettes instead, since the price was almost the same.

From what I gather from the above, only locally produced are taxed, but imported smokes are not?

source: MPs Approve Cigarette Hike

I really don't understand it either. From the Bangkokpost:
Reports said this would raise the price of a packet of locally made cigarettes, now selling at 50-70 baht a packet, by 15-17 baht.

Cynics said said it would not discourage smokers, who could well turn to buying imported cigarettes instead, since the price was almost the same.

From what I gather from the above, only locally produced are taxed, but imported smokes are not?

source: MPs Approve Cigarette Hike

Excise is on all cigarettes. The imported cigarettes get an extra import duty calculated on the FOB price. So an increase in excise may increase the price of domestic cigarettes proportionately more than imported.

There are other things to consider such as AFTA taxation also. Obviously, they won't be planning to sell TTM to anyone soon then. This may end up producing a net loss in revenue if enough people quit, since it is a pretty stiff increase.

The cost local cigarettes will rise by up to 30 per cent a pack following the House of Representatives' approval of a major increase in the excise tax on tobacco products on Monday."

That's what I'd like to know,also. I paid an extra 10 baht at my local supermarket over the weekend so does it mean they have gone up again today?

The Bangkok Post report has now been changed- It now states that cigarettes will go up by about 3 Baht/pack or 30 Baht/carton. Not 15-17 Baht/pack!

WTH is going on????????

Taken for a ride. 7-11 already put up the price before the government announance it.

When ever consummer goods companies wanted to put up their prices, the government always ask "show me your old stock inventories first".

The decision to raise the fuel tax shows that the Abhisit government's memory of what it has pledged to the public may be short.

Remember what the Democrats promised last year while in the opposition, that if they headed the next government? They said they would come up with a 99-day quick-fix policy which included free education, a boost to the million-baht tambon fund, free electricity for the poor - and lower fuel prices.

Specifically, Mr Abhisit vowed to lower fuel prices by putting an end to motorists' contributions to the State Oil Fund, one of the major cost factors that add up to the pump prices.

Regrettably, the government has not made good on its promise. Not only do the levies for the Oil Fund remain intact, but the excise tax rates have been inflated!

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion...the-tax-on-fuel

The decision to raise the fuel tax shows that the Abhisit government's memory of what it has pledged to the public may be short.

Remember what the Democrats promised last year while in the opposition, that if they headed the next government? They said they would come up with a 99-day quick-fix policy which included free education, a boost to the million-baht tambon fund, free electricity for the poor - and lower fuel prices.

Specifically, Mr Abhisit vowed to lower fuel prices by putting an end to motorists' contributions to the State Oil Fund, one of the major cost factors that add up to the pump prices.

Regrettably, the government has not made good on its promise. Not only do the levies for the Oil Fund remain intact, but the excise tax rates have been inflated!

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion...the-tax-on-fuel

Reality hurts doesn't it. If everyone paid what they were meant too, the government wouldn't know what to do with the surplus.

Light up the tax division, they can keep 2% of every extra baht they take as a bonus. Then see the govt swimming in cash.

Another stick-it-to-the poor tax by the Thai Hypocritic Party.

Well done. Fortunately, the truely poor grow their own tobacco and roll their own.

I suggest they hike the ciggy tax 500% and eliminate the alcohol tax.

Hi.

My suggestion: Hike the alcohol tax some 1,000 percent and the tobacco tax by 500 percent, then reduce the oil tax! People don't need to smoke or drink alcohol, but they need to get from A to B. A higher fuel tax hits those who hurt most - farmers and similarly poor people who can't afford the latest and greatest cars or motorbikes that can run on the much cheaper Gasohol.

In Germany cigarettes cost 4 Euros per pack of 20, that is roughly 190 Baht and 85% of the price is taxes. People there still smoke. So that's guaranteed income. Same with alcohol - while certainly nobody needs it many are still foolish enough to consume it.

I don't smoke and don't drink however my bike needs 95 petrol at close to 40 Baht per liter. As a two-stroke it can't run Gasohol.

And if "the poor" would save the money they waste on alcohol and tobacco products maybe they'd get just a little bit richer..?

Best regards.....

Thanh

That's what I'd like to know,also. I paid an extra 10 baht at my local supermarket over the weekend so does it mean they have gone up again today?

My LM red were 49 baht on friday ,today 60 baht a packet, the same price as I pay for a carton in Cambo.

Hi.

My suggestion: Hike the alcohol tax some 1,000 percent and the tobacco tax by 500 percent, then reduce the oil tax! People don't need to smoke or drink alcohol, but they need to get from A to B. A higher fuel tax hits those who hurt most - farmers and similarly poor people who can't afford the latest and greatest cars or motorbikes that can run on the much cheaper Gasohol.

In Germany cigarettes cost 4 Euros per pack of 20, that is roughly 190 Baht and 85% of the price is taxes. People there still smoke. So that's guaranteed income. Same with alcohol - while certainly nobody needs it many are still foolish enough to consume it.

I don't smoke and don't drink however my bike needs 95 petrol at close to 40 Baht per liter. As a two-stroke it can't run Gasohol.

And if "the poor" would save the money they waste on alcohol and tobacco products maybe they'd get just a little bit richer..?

Best regards.....

Thanh

So because you don't smoke or drink you think that the duties on these should go up while the duty on petrol should go down because you DO use it. You don't see that as being a bit selfish?

Also, your strategy has one big glaring fault...

The people that do smoke or drink are contributing vast sums to the government coffers.

Now you suggest that the poor could save money by taxing cigs and alcohol to the extent that nobody could afford them. Result - If everybody stopped smoking and drinking the government would have a massive shortfall in its income from taxes and so would probably increase the duty on petrol to make up for it.

So your brilliant idea would result in you paying more for your petrol and probably more by way of a higher VAT rate. Remember the 7% rate of VAT is only a temporary reduction from the full rate that should be 10% I believe.

Edited by loong

Hi.

Yeah i am selfish. I am involved in traffic every day, not by choice but because i have to. Petrol cost money and too much so. And at least once a week i am put in a dangerous situation by some drunk moron driving like he owns the road. THAT is why i want to see alcohol banned or taxed in such a way that nobody can afford it except for those rich enough to employ a (hopefully permanently sober) driver anyway.

Smoking i don't mind as much - i have yet to see someone driving dangerously under the influence of tobacco. But as i stated - even in Germany with it's extremely high cigarette prices people still smoke, and so they will here in Thailand, nothing to worry about everyone quitting the same day and the country to go bankrupt over the issue.

If the government (any government for that matter) was intelligent they would tax products that only the rich use - luxury cars, high-end electronic products (do you NEED a 100-inch-television?) and such - those who can afford that kind of stuff can then pay the taxes and fill the country's coffers while those who just try to live their normal life aren't effected.

Because, be honest - taxing petrol does not hurt the rich but hurts the poor. And by them being forced to walk or ride bicycles the country ALSO loses income.

Regards....

Thanh

Hi.

Yeah i am selfish. I am involved in traffic every day, not by choice but because i have to. Petrol cost money and too much so. And at least once a week i am put in a dangerous situation by some drunk moron driving like he owns the road. THAT is why i want to see alcohol banned or taxed in such a way that nobody can afford it except for those rich enough to employ a (hopefully permanently sober) driver anyway.

Smoking i don't mind as much - i have yet to see someone driving dangerously under the influence of tobacco. But as i stated - even in Germany with it's extremely high cigarette prices people still smoke, and so they will here in Thailand, nothing to worry about everyone quitting the same day and the country to go bankrupt over the issue.

If the government (any government for that matter) was intelligent they would tax products that only the rich use - luxury cars, high-end electronic products (do you NEED a 100-inch-television?) and such - those who can afford that kind of stuff can then pay the taxes and fill the country's coffers while those who just try to live their normal life aren't effected.

Because, be honest - taxing petrol does not hurt the rich but hurts the poor. And by them being forced to walk or ride bicycles the country ALSO loses income.

Regards....

Thanh

did you breath test the drunken moron? how did you asses the level of intoxication?

if it happens every week perhaps you protest too much, ever wondered if it could be your driving :)

off to polute the place on the bike now bye

Hi.

Yeah i am selfish. I am involved in traffic every day, not by choice but because i have to. Petrol cost money and too much so. And at least once a week i am put in a dangerous situation by some drunk moron driving like he owns the road. THAT is why i want to see alcohol banned or taxed in such a way that nobody can afford it except for those rich enough to employ a (hopefully permanently sober) driver anyway. ...............

Thanh

I see... so trying to follow your line of reasoning, please correct me if I'm wrong...Some people are not able to use alcohol in a responsible manner ie get drunk then drive, therefore all alcohol should be banned.

Now - same reasoning and I am sure that most people have witnessed this on the roads. Many people drive motorbikes and cars in an irresponsible way, not all of them are drunk, I would think that only a small % are drunk. This irresponsible use of motor vehicles often results in injury and death.

So, because some drivers are irresponsible ALL motorbikes and cars should be banned - correct?

Incedently, I am in no way condoning drunk driving.

its a shame really.

20 baths on 1 pack of benson today at 7/11.......... 15 baths on 1 pack of marlboro light.......... 14 baths on 1 bottle (big) of singha...........

Really do not know where this government is going.

They have loose so much money on tourism the last season than now they charge ALL to get back the money loose...

For complete the scene, now when u take money with your visa on all ATM, u will be charge of 150 baths for each.

And what after ????????????????????????

Thailand will loose much more money acting like this , coz tourists will go in others country in Asia. And for those like me, who live in country since years and spend all their money in this country, its time to find a better place to live.

SHAME SHAME SHAME. :)

My LM red were 49 baht on friday ,today 60 baht a packet, the same price as I pay for a carton in Cambo.

Sorry, I though LM was 3 to 15 years of free stay in Baangkok Hilton. I could be wrong. Just ask Thaksin.

• 3 weeks later...

:) maybe they can up the price to 120 baht we buy 1 carton in cambodia and sell here make your visa run mutch cheaper

Hi.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Why do you ride a two stroke smoker? Have you no regard for the environment?