International Schools In Pattaya/jomtien Area

solitaire

This thread seems to be one of the few that has good information (instead of flaming teachers/headmasters/school owners etc)

so hopefully it'll keep going that way. In light of this a few questions.

BEST (Burapha school)-Most of the bad comments about this school was back in 07/08 but since that time I've heard that it has really picked up (especially in P1 upwards-which is where I'm interested in), so any responses about BEST would be appreciated.

It seems as if the BEST, REPS and SATIT English (ie: bi-lingual) programs are fairly similar in teaching, pricing and amenities, so comments on this wld be more than welcome also. Thanks...

I read in another post that sathit is 54.000 a term and I know Reps is 32.000 a term so hardly similar pricing.Don't know how Best is doing at the moment but would like to hear more about also.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread seems to be one of the few that has good information (instead of flaming teachers/headmasters/school owners etc)

BEST (Burapha school)-Most of the bad comments about this school was back in 07/08 but since that time I've heard that it has really picked up (especially in P1 upwards-which is where I'm interested in), so any responses about BEST would be appreciated.

It seems as if the BEST, REPS and SATIT English (ie: bi-lingual) programs are fairly similar in teaching, pricing and amenities, so comments on this wld be more than welcome also. Thanks...

I read in another post that sathit is 54.000 a term and I know Reps is 32.000 a term so hardly similar pricing.Don't know how Best is doing at the moment but would like to hear more about also.

I was paying 180,000++++ baht per term x 3 for my eldest at the Regents.

As regards Best My children who went there have never had any issues with the school. And they have been educated to a reasonable standard in both Thai and English. I Certainly would have no hesitation in sending them back there if we ever returned to Thailand.

My Son who was in the Regents Told me they cannot call it international anymore as there is more thai's than Falangs???? I honestly dont know if that is the case.

I Would look around thoroughly before i sent my child to The Regents. £240/week Is a big chunka Money for not necessarily a better education that some other schools

As regards Best My children who went there have never had any issues with the school. And they have been educated to a reasonable standard in both Thai and English. I Certainly would have no hesitation in sending them back there if we ever returned to Thailand.

My Son who was in the Regents Told me they cannot call it international anymore as there is more thai's than Falangs???? I honestly dont know if that is the case.

I Would look around thoroughly before i sent my child to The Regents. £240/week Is a big chunka Money for not necessarily a better education that some other schools

I agree my two were alsoat best before Satit, good standard of English and Thai, the problem for me was the lack of facilities and discipline. Sports was a whole class sharing 2 ping pong tables or just excercises.

If these have been addressed it is a good place to start and is approx 35k a term now I believe.

Edited by myfriendyou

I agree my two were alsoat best before Satit, good standard of English and Thai, the problem for me was the lack of facilities and discipline. Sports was a whole class sharing 2 ping pong tables or just excercises.

If these have been addressed it is a good place to start and is approx 35k a term now I believe.

My son also attended Best prior to moving him to Satit, the move was based on the fact that he just was not getting the English teaching as promised. In my comparison to Best , I can honestly say Satit comes out top in all aspects (others may disagree, I have no issue with that). My proof is in the pudding so to speak as my son really enjoys going to school and has displayed a marked improvement in his studies, his English skills have improved 100%. For the K3 English program we have just paid 48000THB for the term which is also what we payed last year. Once my daughter is of age she will also attend Satit.

REPS - 32k at what age?

My 11-year-old daughter costs over 50k a term (twice yearly) with tuition, books, transport and lunch. Clothing extra, outings extra.

Fees vary with age, discount for second child onwards.

Sorry but one of the previous posters is totally wrong. Regents did not lose the 'international' name because of a name conflict. It can not be called an international school anymore as more than 50% of its students are thai nationals, thus it is just a fee paying school following a foreign curriculum. It does not fit the international status required by the MOE of Thailand. Further to that a good indicator of a quality school is it's exam results, not he only way obviously but it's a good indicator. On those grounds Garden International School is the best performer in the region, with St Andrews behind and Regents a long way off. The advantage of Regents is the location but this is really ease for parents rather than about the children. I've experience of all the local schools. Go and visit, get a feel, let your children feel the atmosphere. I guarantee it won't be Regents that is picked!

REPS - 32k at what age?

My 11-year-old daughter costs over 50k a term (twice yearly) with tuition, books, transport and lunch. Clothing extra, outings extra.

Fees vary with age, discount for second child onwards.

32.300 baht is for a 5 year old staying at Kindergarten 3.I have the price list in front of me and Primary 4-5-6 which an 11 year old would be in is 41.800 baht a term.Secondary level 1-2-3 are 48.500 baht a term.These are prices excluding transport and clothing.

All these responses are theoretical - how long is the OP intending to stay in Thailand? How old is the child? As above - any Thai language influence at home?

If only a short posting to Thailand (say 2 years) then also consider UK boarding school (depending on age of child) as few of the schools in Thailaand - outside Bangkok - have true Internatuonal status (International Baccalareat or UK/US curricula) most are geared to the Thai qualifications with additional English facility.

There are choices to suit all, but the truly international schools are few and expensive.

And not necessarily good for older kids.

There is no thai influence at all. I'm australian and so is my husband, so we are definitely looking for an international school. We are not really interested in a school that teaches thai at all. We are intending to stay in Thailand for approx 3 years, and my son is 5 years old so will be starting Year 1 when we relocate.

We will be staying in the Pattaya/Rayong area which is why we are looking at international schools in this region. We would not consider a boarding school at this stage for our son.

Our son will be travelling with us next week so we are scheduled to visit the schools and combined with the information from this forum and the feel we get from the school, hopefully we can make an informed decision.

Had my son in regents. 2 years primary and 1 and half in secondary.

In my opinion its a waste of money, alot of hype for nothing. to much time spent on sponsored walks, cleaning beaches and trips. Yeah great for the Kids and the Back Packing teachers.......... Not so good for their education.

It used to be clased as international school of the regents but now it regents school..... International got dropped. The headmasters a waste of space.

Even the Newsletter went from a Decent Full Colour Pamphlet to a photocopied letter. Standards have dropped dramatically since the Head mistress left.

Several of my sons friends also left there. My son has gone back to school in uk and it has taken him months to catch up. he has had to have extra studies to lift him to an acceptable level.

In my opinion a waste of money. you would be better sending your kids to burapha BEST. i had my other 2 kids there and they fitted back into uk education very easily and they have learnt thai as well.

It has been said BEST is strict.............. Great hey. Better than being taught by back packers at over £1000 month in the Regents school.

IMHO.

You have obviously got some issues.

The Regents did not lose "International" status. The name change was because of a legal conflict with another school carrying the same name.

The Regents obviously has standards as they are members of the CIS, WES, Round Square and are an accredited IB school.

No backpackers at The Regents. All fully qualified, verified, police checked teachers. And the wages are much greater than a grand a month.

BEST school is "strict" and great?? Are you having a laugh?

Thank you for your reply... i presume you are Thai.

Perhaps you should read some of the further comments on this post.

I have pictures of the teachers who i have refered to as backpackers. Some even look like them. :)

As far as having issues.......... well i do as a customer paying in excess of 600,000 baht a year i have a right to be as well.

You may wish to correct your version of why the school does not hold international staus or contact mike walton he will confirm the school status. [email protected] is he's e-mail, or call him on 0849121202 i am sure he will be glad to hear your version of why his school still holds international status. i know of at least 20 kids parents who have withdrawn their kids. Falang parents.

This school is not international school......................... it is Thai status masquerading as an international school. In Thailand it does hold international staus despite belonging to various organizations.

My 2 sons was last year for 7 month in the BEST Burapha. I paid for 1 month summer school and 1 term include Uniforms, Books and PickUp&Bring-Service for this 7 Month around 300.000 Baht!!!

But I found this school very shit, dirty and the staff very outrageously and disrespectful.

Now my kids (11+13) on the Srisuvit School. They teach in english to with Canadian teachers, Phillipines Teachers and next year they start with a new english programm from Classes 9-13!!

For this school I pay now only 30.000 Baht for one term include Uniforms, Books and PickUp&Bring-Service. The regular term price ia about 6.000 Baht.

The Kindergarten is very great and if you allready visited the BEST and then you visit the Srisuvit School you "WOW" see the Big different.

Internet: http://www.srisuvit.net/ (only Thai)

My 2 sons was last year for 7 month in the BEST Burapha. I paid for 1 month summer school and 1 term include Uniforms, Books and PickUp&Bring-Service for this 7 Month around 300.000 Baht!!!

But I found this school very shit, dirty and the staff very outrageously and disrespectful.

Now my kids (11+13) on the Srisuvit School. They teach in english to with Canadian teachers, Phillipines Teachers and next year they start with a new english programm from Classes 9-13!!

For this school I pay now only 30.000 Baht for one term include Uniforms, Books and PickUp&Bring-Service. The regular term price ia about 6.000 Baht.

The Kindergarten is very great and if you allready visited the BEST and then you visit the Srisuvit School you "WOW" see the Big different.

Internet: http://www.srisuvit.net/ (only Thai)

The senior school at BEST is new so i dont know why they should be shit and dirty as far as 6000 for a term well thats very cheap. Wonder how they pay their staff??? Maybe Canadians just love working with kids, and dont need a salary???

Cant comment further there without experience. how ever you would have had topay a deposit so maybe this is why you had a big down payment.

You may wish to correct your version of why the school does not hold international staus or contact mike walton he will confirm the school status. [email protected] is he's e-mail, or call him on 0849121202 i am sure he will be glad to hear your version of why his school still holds international status. i know of at least 20 kids parents who have withdrawn their kids. Falang parents.

This school is not international school......................... it is Thai status masquerading as an international school. In Thailand it does hold international staus despite belonging to various organizations.

No need to contact Mike as the number is <deleted> anyway. The email addy goes to Kay first. No doubt you know her. The number is probably yours. How sad.

Thais are less than 45% student population compared to the 55% made up of Europeans, Americas, Chinese and lots of Koreans. Perhaps the Chinese and Korean students just look like Thais to you.

Parents withdraw their kids every year. Its called "Ex-pats at the end of their contracts".

For the poster that says the school does not comply with MoE standards for 'International'...............please provide the link showing this.

Edited by Phatcharanan

No need to contact Mike as the number is <deleted> anyway. The email addy goes to Kay first. No doubt you know her. The number is probably yours. How sad.

Thais are less than 45% student population compared to the 55% made up of Europeans, Americas, Chinese and lots of Koreans. Perhaps the Chinese and Korean students just look like Thais to you.

Parents withdraw their kids every year. Its called "Ex-pats at the end of their contracts".

For the poster that says the school does not comply with MoE standards for 'International'...............please provide the link showing this.

Sorry number is not <deleted>. it may have changed but it is not <deleted>. the email is also used directly by the principal. if you need his pa send it to [email protected]

I dont regard myself as sad either. Also the school has gone over the 50% thai to foreign students and as part of the MOE rules as you will see at this link http://www.moe.go.th/English/inter_school/index_eng.htm

Edited by loonodingle

<snip>

The parents that I know withdrawing their kids from Regents are still living and/or working in Thailand and are moving their kids to other schools because they are unhappy with Regents.

<snip>

The parents that I know withdrawing their kids from Regents are still living and/or working in Thailand and are moving their kids to other schools because they are unhappy with Regents.

HERE!!!! HERE!!!......... Dozens of kids.

My son keep in regular daily touch with many friends he made at Regents and many have left.

But everyone to there own opinion thats what these forums are for hey.

Personally my comments was todo with value for money. Getting an education and for the money i dont think its good value.

As far as the previous posters opinion it was a legal issue well that would fly in the face of a letter raised by the head where he say it is todo with confusion. All in all it doesnt really matter International or not. i suppose but the quality of education does. You will find it hard to find a complete wes report as it raises issues that they dont want published. link to mike's letter is here

http://www.regents.ac.th/NewVersion/popupn...s&parent_id=

The senior school at BEST is new so i dont know why they should be shit and dirty as far as 6000 for a term well thats very cheap. Wonder how they pay their staff??? Maybe Canadians just love working with kids, and dont need a salary???

Cant comment further there without experience. how ever you would have had topay a deposit so maybe this is why you had a big down payment.

Yes, it's true that the senior building was new. But now it's dirty, things broken and nobody of the staff take care really. The Srisuvit School is nearly 50 years old but looks same new!!! They have a lot of cleaning staff too. The BEST use the Kids for cleaning the school. The really different between these schools you can check very easy by a visit. The BEST are only good for charge a lot of money, but not more!!!

Only for the busservice (Minibus) I paid in the BEST for 1 kid, 11km/Oneway arround 13.500 Baht. In the Srisuvit School I pay now only 3.000 Baht for the Term for 14km with minibus. A BIG DIFFERENT, or???!!!

I can say that this school is much more cheaper, cleaner and better than BEST. It has a very friendly staff and my kids are very happy on this school.

• 2 weeks later...

Need to revive this thread and see if I can solicit any more comments on BEST school (just off Sukhumvit-Pattaya Tai).

After reading thru some of the previous posts I think some posters mix up the BEST school (also Burapa English School)

and the Burapa School (on the Burapa golf course). So I'd be interested in any more posts on only BEST (good or bad)

from parents or teachers.

Many thanks...

Need to revive this thread and see if I can solicit any more comments on BEST school (just off Sukhumvit-Pattaya Tai).

After reading thru some of the previous posts I think some posters mix up the BEST school (also Burapa English School)

and the Burapa School (on the Burapa golf course). So I'd be interested in any more posts on only BEST (good or bad)

Many thanks...

I had spoke about the BEST!!! Send your kids to the Srisuvit School and use the money what you save for buy a speedboat!!!

Many thanks...

I had spoke about the BEST!!! Send your kids to the Srisuvit School and use the money what you save for buy a speedboat!!!

Snowgard I do thank you for the comments and as the Srisuvit School website is in Thai perhaps you can answer a few questions for me.

Is the school teaching English as a subject only, or is it the same as BEST and Satit and teaching in both English and Thai (ie: bilingual).

Is it actually a private school (as the two above) and following the Thai Govt curriculum or just a Thai governemnt school.

Any other useful facts would also be appreciated.

Thanks...

• 2 months later...

Many thanks...

Snowgard I do thank you for the comments and as the Srisuvit School website is in Thai perhaps you can answer a few questions for me.

Is the school teaching English as a subject only, or is it the same as BEST and Satit and teaching in both English and Thai (ie: bilingual).

Is it actually a private school (as the two above) and following the Thai Govt curriculum or just a Thai governemnt school.

Thanks...

giving this topic a new life as I'm also interested in that srisuvit school or any other english program schools near Pattaya that use native english teachers.

The boy I'm taking care for will be in primary 1 next year and he has been at Reps for k2 and 3.I'm quite happy with the education he gets there but if he could cut down on the travelling time each day it would be an advantage.

My 2 children (10 and 12) were at BEST 3 years ago. At that time it was an awful school, but perhaps since then it changed for the better.

Now they go to REPS and they love it. Dedicated teachers, much better facilities then BEST, better food, cleaner buildings and my kids made jumps in their level of education.

However my wife and I have to drive 160km per day and since we decided not to stay in Thailand, it seems a waist of time for the kids to get 50% of the lessons in Thai.

Besides that, on the bilingual schools they don't do any western history or any second language that is relevant to western kids later in life.

It is only a couple days ago in another thread that somebody put me on to www.interhigh.co.uk. This a UK based school online.

Kids logon at (Thai time) 15.30 until 18.30 and during that time they are in a virtual classroom with real children and and teacher.

After that they get homework, research projects etc.

They do the full English/Welsh curriculum and relevant exams are taken at the British consulate.

I think a very interesting possibility. Check it out yourself.

My 2 children (10 and 12) were at BEST 3 years ago. At that time it was an awful school, but perhaps since then it changed for the better.

Now they go to REPS and they love it. Dedicated teachers, much better facilities then BEST, better food, cleaner buildings and my kids made jumps in their level of education.

However my wife and I have to drive 160km per day and since we decided not to stay in Thailand, it seems a waist of time for the kids to get 50% of the lessons in Thai.

Besides that, on the bilingual schools they don't do any western history or any second language that is relevant to western kids later in life.

It is only a couple days ago in another thread that somebody put me on to www.interhigh.co.uk. This a UK based school online.

Kids logon at (Thai time) 15.30 until 18.30 and during that time they are in a virtual classroom with real children and and teacher.

After that they get homework, research projects etc.

They do the full English/Welsh curriculum and relevant exams are taken at the British consulate.

I think a very interesting possibility. Check it out yourself.

I've been following that thread already but I don't know if it fit's for a Thai boy of 5 which can't read yet or use know how to use a computer.Maybe someone can tell me if this kind of education is possible for kids of that age.

Actually you are correct basjke this internet school 'Inter high' is for secondary education for kids from 10 years old to 17 years old but as my kids are both with in this age range I think we might give it a go especially as they take GCSE exams and follow the UK curriculum which is very useful for us.

Having tried BEST school and REPS school I would recommend REPS with out a shadow of a doubt, they are very similar in price and REPS is a million times better in all respects.

There seems to be some conflicting information on here regarding the Regent's school. I was looking at this school for my son and daughter later on in the year. I know they have a twin school in Bangkok, but, would appreciated it if someone can clarify if the school still has IB status?

I was under the impression The Regent's school is an outstanding school with excellent facilities and educational standards?

Jeanclaude.

Thanks...

Sorry for the late answer, but I don't look at the thread for longtime. The Srisuvit school is a private Thai School. They following the Thai Govt curriculum but only to class No. 9. The Teaching is in Thai with 5-8 English lessons weekly. Next year they start a English Program School for Thai Govt curriculum from classes 10-12. But the best way is to check it out self! Visit the school, speak with the stuff, look around the buildings and visit other schools. It's not all the time that you must pay a lot more for get a better education. Int. schools specialy the BEST have SPECIAL FARANGPRICES but not a better education.

There seems to be some conflicting information on here regarding the Regent's school. I was looking at this school for my son and daughter later on in the year. I know they have a twin school in Bangkok, but, would appreciated it if someone can clarify if the school still has IB status?

I was under the impression The Regent's school is an outstanding school with excellent facilities and educational standards?

Jeanclaude.

The Regent's is an excellent school. Don't listen to the negative comments on here. The teachers are all extremely experienced fully qualified and police checked. Just because it doesnt have "international" in the name of the school doesnt mean its not an international school, it is fully accredited with a number of organisations including the Council Of International schools and World Education Service. It offers a full IB programme with results well above the international average, sending graduates to top universities all over the world. It also has a huge out of school programme helping to give the obviously quite privileged pupils there an opportunity to give back to society.

Many thanks...

Thanks...

giving this topic a new life as I'm also interested in that srisuvit school or any other english program schools near Pattaya that use native english teachers.

The boy I'm taking care for will be in primary 1 next year and he has been at Reps for k2 and 3.I'm quite happy with the education he gets there but if he could cut down on the travelling time each day it would be an advantage.

I really would take a look at Sathit, for a 6 year old you will not pay anything near 50K, it will be in the 30k bracket, and I can speak from experience that is well worth looking at. For Best to have changed to reach this standard there would have had to have been major restructuring, I am not saying that isn’t the case but going on how hard changes were while my kids were there I would say unlikely.

The other aspect is the facilities, Best had just completed the new senior school building the term before we changed, even in that short space of time it was in disrepair, there is no real sports field or sports facilities.

Most of the EP program teachers at Sathit are English or North American, they would be happy to talk to you if you went down at the end of the day I am sure.

It really is personal preference and the change was the best thing we could have done in our opinion, proven by the development of my kids both educationally and as people.