Public Warned Of Fake Lottery Tickets

george

Public warned of fake lottery tickets

BANGKOK: -- The director of the Government Lottery Organization (GLO) called for vigilance amid reports that gangs are producing counterfeit lottery tickets.

Pol. Maj. Gen. Surasit Sankhaphong said that several members of the public had come to the GLO claiming prizes for tickets which turned out to be fake.

The gangs selling the tickets appear to be run by foreigners unable to speak Thai, and promise prizes ranging from Bt10,000 to Bt1.5 million, lower than the official top lottery prize of Bt2 million.

Tactics to persuade the public to purchase the tickets include claims by the sellers that they cannot themselves claim their prizes, as they do not possess Thai ID cards.

Warning the public against purchasing cheap, counterfeit lottery tickets, Pol. Maj. Gen. Surasit stressed that the buyers were being defrauded of their cash.

--TNA 2005-02-03

Why it took so long to come here? I've seen this scam for decades worlwide - now, finally here.

Seems all funny things come to thailand with certain delay. I still remember "black dollar" scam, and the funny thing was - they arrested lots of africans with real dollars.

My understanding is that there is a "Parallel Underground Lottery" that has been running for

years................ nothing to do with Farangs, an entirely Thai oriented setup.

It relies on the same numbers drawn by the Official Lottery to determine who has won.

Is this what he is refering to?

Has he only just heard about it?

My understanding is that there is a "Parallel Underground Lottery" that has been running for

years................ nothing to do with Farangs, an entirely Thai oriented setup.

It relies on the same numbers drawn by the Official Lottery to determine who has won.

Is this what he is refering to?

Has he only just heard about it?

The "underground" lottery is thought by many to be run by the same people who control the government lottery with the exception that all of the money avoids falling into government hands as opposed to only part of the money escaping the government coffers.

A few other of my fellow dinosaurs on this forum may remember far back enough to what is perhaps the most notorious event on live TV in the Kingdom when the televised national lottery machines stopped between numbers causing the head of the lottery to attempt to move the machine to indicate a final number with a tap of a hammer. Shortly thereafter, but not on live TV, wires were "found" leading from the machines to an adjoining room. Within days the head of the National Lottery proclaimed, while clearly lieing through his teeth, that the corruption had been exposed and it was now safer than ever to play the lottery.