Driving From Bangkok To Cambodia

I have flown to phom phen a coupel of times but thought I might drive there (or to sihanokville sp?) next week.

is it viable? Border crossing with car?

Or could i park my car somewhere near the border for a few days and cross over. Where to cross?

Any major pitfalls?

visa problems etc??

I have flown to phom phen a coupel of times but thought I might drive there (or to sihanokville sp?) next week.

is it viable? Border crossing with car?

Or could i park my car somewhere near the border for a few days and cross over. Where to cross?

Any major pitfalls?

visa problems etc??

hi,,,

just drive from bangkok pattaya rayong then on down to border at hat lek....5 hours from bangkok...koh chang is well worth a stop over on your way down,as far as i know u cannot take car over the border and why would you when it will almost certainly be stolen...cross border from had lek and in ten minutes drive by taxi you reach koh kong town,,in koh kong you can get a bus at the main station for around or no more than 10 dollars down to sihanoukville which is 3-4 hrs drive,,buses usually depart from koh kong at 7.45-8amam every morning,i think there is an afternoon bus also...sihanoukville is well worth a visit...best about it is if you dont want to stay in sihanoukville you can get a private car to take you back up to the border for 50-60 dollar,,do not pay more!!!! good luck

Clausewitz,

What you want to do is very easy . You need the blue book for your car . You also need a couple of photocopies of the first page of your blue book . It is relly nice to have your own car/transportaion to go where you want, when you want. Check out the thread "driving to Kampot" on page 2 of this forum. They give a nice detailed decription on how to do it, easy.

dmax,

I have never had a problem with my car. Use common sense where you park your car, and use a steering wheel lock (anti theft device). Having a car there is definitely the way to go IMHO.

The road going from Hat Lek to Sihanoukville is much better now and a good drive. Be careful driving though. There is much more driving hazards, cows children, chikens, crazy Cambodian drivers all in the road. Driver a little slower than you do in thailand, and drive defensively, you should be fine.

Good Luck!