3 Baht Connection Even If You Don't..?

vam-pire

For the last two weeks when trying to dial up an internet connection I keep getting this notice ..Failed to connect to remote computer. When I do eventually manage to get connected the speed is always down , I contacted the telephone company ( TT&T ) just to check things out, after being told that there were no problems there end, I told the service center operator that I had been setting my modem dial up to automatic ( 50 attempts a time to connect ) and I was not too worried as at least there would be no 3 Baht connection charge, as my computer had dialed the connection number, but had been un able to connect. He then said that there would be a 3 Baht charge even if my computer did not connect ,as this was normal policy ...? Can this be correct I thought if no connection No charge..? I know of many poeple who also set there modem's to auto dial and go for a coffee returning later only to see ... Failed to connect to remote computer and think no more of it , Ive often looked at my phone bill and thought that the local call's ( including computer connection ) looked high but never really put it down to being charged for the times my computer did not connect . Can this be correct being charged for some thing you did not get..

VAM.....

The phone was answered if the modem tones were sent and that phone answer is what keys the 3 baht charge - yes you do owe for each and every call - your call was connected the number dialed so gets charged 3 baht each time. Good reason to be choosy about your ISP.

HI lopburi3,

Thanks for the answer, just one thing ....when my modem try's to connect with the ISP the sound I hear is one of the connection being engaged ( beep, beep ,beep ) same as you get when you dial up a telephone number to speak to some one , and they are already on the phone..? so is this counted as being connected , I wonder why I don't have to pay when I dial up a friends number and his phone does not answer because its ...engaged...?

Thanks VAM

HI lopburi3,

Thanks for the answer, just one thing ....when my modem try's to connect with the ISP the sound I hear is one of the connection being engaged ( beep, beep ,beep ) same as you get when you dial up a telephone number to speak to some one , and they are already on the phone..? so is this counted as being connected , I wonder why I don't have to pay when I dial up a friends number and his phone does not answer because its ...engaged...?

Thanks VAM

vam, that is not a connection meaning no charge only if it is the engaged tone, if you hear the modem screech it is the same as calling your mate and he answers then you will be charged.

Its my house phone I use only for an internet connection , just received last months bill . 347 x 038 calls (internet connections ) in one month , normally I connect 2 times a day when its possible 7 day's a week 3Baht x2 = 6 x 7days =42 baht x 4 weeks 168 Baht , my latest bill for the local connections is 1,041 Baht so you can see if I am paying 3 baht to only get an engaged tone it soon mounts up..?

VAM

HI lopburi3,

Thanks VAM

As said if the beep is from the number you call, no answer because engaged, it should not be charged but suspect the beep may be a forwarding number - the first number connects but the line it puts you on for modem is not available? I would buy a dial up package from one of the major providers, with a different local number, and give it a try.

I thought that "failed to connect to remote computer" was a message you got after modem lock but perhaps I am wrong on that.

Hi lopburi3,

Thanks for the comments, My friend get's the beep, beep beep, engaged tone when he try's to connect to the TOT 1222 conection all most every day but ive not yest asked him about his phone bill, I suspect that many people don't check the local call amounts on their bills , and just accept the amount is correct if it is as you say , when the internet is very busy and many people are trying to access it and not being able to for what ever reason , just think of the amount of 3 Bahts going down the drain so to say, so if I don't connect to my ISP , and still get charged the 3 Baht, by TT&T who's fault is it..? TT&T or the ISP.

just a thought .... VAM

If you get this message, the telephone connection has been established. If you get the 'occupied' sound you receive a message 'Signal Busy' or the message 'The remote computer didn't answer'.

It's very difficult to say who's at fault .... it could be a bad phone signal, it could be a technical error at the ISP side. Actually it doesn't matter who's at fault ... you're paying anyway!

Although it's reasonable to accept the problems which come with connecting over data lines .... and if you're already paying 1,000+ baht per month, maybe it's good to consider ADSL.

Edited by sniffdog

I've also recieved the message something like "remote computer failed to respond." If I pick up the reciever I can hear the computers trying to communicate but probably through noise or not a good enough line connection is refused and it will then redial.

I've also recieved the message something like "remote computer failed to respond." If I pick up the reciever I can hear the computers trying to communicate but probably through noise or not a good enough line connection is refused and it will then redial.

In that case the phone was answered and 3 baht charge made. It can also happen when modems lock but ISP computer is down or overloaded so normally not a good idea to use automatic redial (at least not in too short a period) here.

you don't say where you are, but for much of Thailand you can now subscribe to adsl (hi-speed) internet. If you do this your computer will automatically connect to the isp AT NO CHARGE. You then enter your name and password which is via a dialogue box the same as if you were dialing an outside number, but in fact adsl maintains a connection as long as your computer is on.

The reason is that adsl uses a different frequency to regular voice connections. You can still make and recieve regular phone calls while you are on the internet too.

Now at 2 calls a day (presuming an ideal world with no failed attempts) thats about 200 baht a month, and you will be missing phone calls while you are on the internet. Added to the charge of your isp, and you are likely paying 500+ baht a month. Double if you are losing connections. With adsl you pay a flat monthly fee which starts at about 600 baht per month, and the connection speed is a lot higher.

So if you can move over to an adsl service.

You don't say what ISP you are calling.

If it is a different company from TT&T then one will blame the other for the problems

and you will end up paying for all those "connected to modem, but failed to connect to computer" calls.

If it is all one company you are on better ground.

I had this sort of problem with TOT and the infamous 1222 service about a year ago.

I started getting bills of 2000 baht a month for local calls, so I complained.

They put a Print Meter Checker on my line. It records every number I dial and

the time and duration of the call.

They then showed me the listing, and said, "But you dialled the calls".

I checked the list and sure enough all the calls to 1222 where there, but only lasting 35-40 seconds. That is the time it takes the modems to talk and decide that

you cannot be connected...........

I went through and marked a large number of these, then handed the listing backand said, "Yes good. This just confirms what I have been telling you"

You are charging me for calls to 1222 that did not complete!!"

Eventually my bills, which I had not paid, were reduced to a reasonable level.

It took about 3 months in all.

In the meantime I did pay the rental and the any long distance calls, as a sign of my good faith,

and to prevent the line being cut off.

Hi astral. your comment ....This just confirms what I have been telling you"

You are charging me for calls to 1222 that did not complete!!"

goes to show what is going on !!!, I wonder just how many people are getting charged the same for call's not complete..? and don't notice it on their bill.

VAM ....

If you are using Dial-up ( or even ADSL ) and you are having problems the simplest first step is to replace your telephone connection from the socket inside the house to the phone companies J/box. telephone cable is about 3-4 baht per metre so it is quite cheap. any join in the line running inside can cause voltage drop and noise.

Stu has a good point.

I have a special cable from the outside junction box to my computer room,

just for the modem. It helped a great deal with the dial up, but now I am

on adsl it does not matter which cable I use......... strange.

The modem you are using also makes a difference.

The internal modem in my HP notebook is much less tolerant of a bad line.

It will connect at 35kb/s whereas the external modem on the desk top will

give 44+

However in your case it sounds like the isp server is playing up, or they have

lousy modems at the other end.

Some years ago, I had my modem setup for auto-dialing to the university computer because it was busy most of the time... At the end of that first month, my local calls were over 7,000 baht.... I was definately charged for 'busy's'. A couple of years after that, my office installed a new line and was offered 'special' service for an extra 2,000 baht. It seems that they were charging for any dial out after 3 rings, connected, or not. The 2,000 baht made it so we were only charged for completed calls...

As I said, this was a few years ago, but who knows what little tricks these guys still have...