Mailing Bank Cards From The Uk

phaethon

What's the best value - risk of loss/theft vs cost - way of sending accumulated mail, including new bank cards, to BKK from the UK?

What precautions are advisable in terms of packaging and declaring the contents on the outside for customs?

TIA,

K.

Hi If you are sending bank cards and other mail Take care to remove any new Pin Numbers

You dont want them coming in the same package

You can get them sent on to you later or E Mail them to you

Have sent New cards Regular Airmail No Problems but not large amounts of mail so Can't say best way.

Just edit to say had a small qty Presciption tablets sent in envelope Reg Air Mail from UK cost £1.65

Sent on 1st May Arrived here in Lamphun on 5th

Edited by kennkate

What's the best value - risk of loss/theft vs cost - way of sending accumulated mail, including new bank cards, to BKK from the UK?

What precautions are advisable in terms of packaging and declaring the contents on the outside for customs?

TIA,

K.

Check out this post: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Receiving-Va...t&p=1994519

I had stuff sent by a Royal Mail service called "Priority Handling and Registered Delivery". About 5 pounds each package. One had a bank card reader in it, the other had the card in it. Don't know about any customs form.

(And no, the sender did not write the pin number on the back of the package. :))

My NW card expired in March last year, a week or so before it did, i mailed NW internet banking, they said they did not send abroad and they would send new card to my UK branch, after a few days i called them, my branch said yes, they would post it on, and would you like the same Pin number?,

So that was that, new card in 4 days, same Pin, no probs, usual bank envelope, Perhaps try it that way?

Cheers, Lickey.

If you're only ever going to use it in ATMs and will NEVER need to show the signature get someone to block out the signature strip in indelible ink so that if it's intercepted on the way out to you it can't be signed by the interceptor.

I had a card sent by post and it was never heard of again. Which is the reason all the courier companies refuse to handle cards, because if one does get through then you are extremely lucky. One idea is to hide the card somehow in the cover of a book and send the book via courier service.

HL :)

A courier best bet I would think, someone need to be responsible during the mailing process, DHL or UPS would be two starting point. Good luck!! :)

I've used DHL & UPS - expensive but reliable. Sending a card that is unsigned, has pased it's 'valid from' date and does not require activation is the same as sending cash. The card issuer will hold you responsible in cases of fraud.

In addition to the other advice offered re: PINs, etc., I would suggest the following which has worked for me in the past. I have a bunch of photographs printed, then put them and the card into a padded envelope, and mark the envelope "photos, do not bend." Unless someone x-ray's the pack there is no way to tell there is a card inside.

well, I used the regular post and DHL ... both arrived ... but yes, covered; thin carton with card shape cut out ...

whatever you do, don't use the regular post AND send it assigned; that's really telling them something valuable is inside and for sure it will disappear!

Regular mail for most of my atm cards. If I happen to be stateside, I might request that they send a few replacements early so I can just pick them up at my condo mailbox (rented out, but mailroom holds mail addressed to me). No problems yet, knock on wood.

It's generally good to keep multiple backup cards with scattered expiration dates, and preferably with the same bank and/or between banks that allow online domestic transfers for little or no fees, so you pretty much have 2 or more valid cards at any given time and can go for years trying to get a 'lost' or 'misdirected' card over here (if you aren't able to fly home yourself).

:)

My NW card expired in March last year, a week or so before it did, i mailed NW internet banking, they said they did not send abroad and they would send new card to my UK branch, after a few days i called them, my branch said yes, they would post it on, and would you like the same Pin number?,

So that was that, new card in 4 days, same Pin, no probs, usual bank envelope, Perhaps try it that way?

Cheers, Lickey.

Thats wierd, Lickey

cos they automatically sent my replacement card to thailand and I am not exactly a valued customer with a big balance :)

Dave

Regular mail for most of my atm cards. If I happen to be stateside, :D

Stateside ??

whereabouts is that then in the UK??

Dave

Doesn't matter. I'm speaking to the entire auditorium, not just the folks up there in the cheap seats

:)

Okay, thanks for all the info. The cards are renewals, so no PIN with them. I think I'll ask my trustworthy friend (there are such things) to send them in amongst a bundle of other mail (insurance policy docs etc.) in a Registered Mail package, maybe insert the cards into the insurance envelopes with a little creative razor work.

Thanks again to all who replied. :)

One weird thing about this thread is that I have been watching the "View New Posts" results for answers and never saw this thread pop up, so I assumed no replies. Yet when I came looking there are almost twenty - mai khow jai!?

I just received the third and last letter sent from Germany to Vietnam. She put the credit card inside a double-sided postcard and sent it by regular mail. The envelope with the PIN came separately and the TAN numbers in the third letter. The credit card will only be activated by the bank once I confirm that all letters were received, pretty safe that way.

TIA,

K.

I have just had my new credit card sent to me by my brother. He used the Royal Mail "International Signed For" service. Postage cost a fiver and delivery took just under a week and that was with a weekend in between. The card had to be 'activated' before it could be used so I felt fairly safe having it sent this way and I 'activated' it over the phone once I had received the card. I have used the "International Signed For" method before to have small parcels sent to me and it seems to work. I have to sign for it before the Thai Post gives me the package (just like EMS).

Thanks Hanno and proDriver, I was considering activating the cards and leaving them in the UK, only using them online... but if I had to buy and emergency air ticket or the like I'd be stuffed at checkin. So I'll leave them unactivated - need to check how long they'll wait for activation before they cancel the card.

PD - did YOU (the addressee) have to sign for it or could, say, a building office/receptionist have signed?

I've also had a replacement Yodelfone SIM arrive - it's turning into a proper package... :)

Edit: Also, is that Royal Mail "International Signed For" service trackable online?

Edited by phaethon

Thanks Hanno and proDriver, I was considering activating the cards and leaving them in the UK, only using them online... but if I had to buy and emergency air ticket or the like I'd be stuffed at checkin. So I'll leave them unactivated - need to check how long they'll wait for activation before they cancel the card.

PD - did YOU (the addressee) have to sign for it or could, say, a building office/receptionist have signed?

I've also had a replacement Yodelfone SIM arrive - it's turning into a proper package... :)

Edit: Also, is that Royal Mail "International Signed For" service trackable online?

I believe the "International Signed For" service is only trackable within the UK but check with the Royal Mail's website.

I noticed that the accompanying letter with my new card stated that the card had to be activated within 7 days. I don't know how strict they are with this but I know that my brother sent it on to me the same day that it arrived at his address in the UK and I was able to activate the card just before the 7 days were up.

My postbox is out at the entrance to my place and the gates were still locked on that day so he left a card in the letterbox informing me that there was an item to be collected from the Post Office. I had to show ID when I signed for it but that was at the Post Office. When the postman is able enter my property with a package to be signed for I've never had to show ID.

I've also had a replacement Yodelfone SIM arrive - it's turning into a proper package... :D

I believe the "International Signed For" service is only trackable within the UK but check with the Royal Mail's website.

I noticed that the accompanying letter with my new card stated that the card had to be activated within 7 days. I don't know how strict they are with this but I know that my brother sent it on to me the same day that it arrived at his address in the UK and I was able to activate the card just before the 7 days were up.

My postbox is out at the entrance to my place and the gates were still locked on that day so he left a card in the letterbox informing me that there was an item to be collected from the Post Office. I had to show ID when I signed for it but that was at the Post Office. When the postman is able enter my property with a package to be signed for I've never had to show ID.

Correct i've just sent a NW cash card International signed for the tracking ends at the boarder, EMS from Thailand can track all the way so much for the west & its high tech.

I cut out a cereal carton to fit the card in then sandwiched it in with card each side i then text the pin over to the misses,there was no activation needed on this card.

It arrived after 5 days. :)

Correct i've just sent a NW cash card International signed for the tracking ends at the boarder, EMS from Thailand can track all the way so much for the west & its high tech.

I cut out a cereal carton to fit the card in then sandwiched it in with card each side i then text the pin over to the misses,there was no activation needed on this card.

By EMS from the UK? How do you do that?