Convicted Of Cussing; Brit Offender Burrowes To Get Free Tcket Home

CFIT

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing more on Phuketwan. He wouldn't have reached London yet. I doubt there will be for a while as the story will now take on a much more sedate pace.

Andrew Drummond's website seems to have done with the story for now with no recent updates.

While Mr. Burrows could have shown more restraint in expressing his displeasure, the Thai authorities could also have shown a bit of tolerance. Holding him to the last possible minute, then hustling him onboard his (original) flight might have gotten their message across.

Yes, we all know "This is Thailand" and that we must respect Thai authority, but do those same authorities ever think about the negative image Thailand is sending the world?

... Sadly, I think they just don't care.

Sad but true. I think the problem lies in the fact that many Thais really don't understand the power and the breadth of the internet and the speed at which bad news can travel. The immigration officials that came up with plan B (charge him for using words they consider impolite) is also a reflection of the fact that they don't understand cause and effect - a very common Thai trait.

Let's hope Simon gets upgraded to business or first class. :)

Nothing more on Phuketwan. He wouldn't have reached London yet. I doubt there will be for a while as the story will now take on a much more sedate pace.

Andrew Drummond's website seems to have done with the story for now with no recent updates.

:) Love yer sig, Briggsy, I might add, "Saamoke gone up, now 75 baaaht" :D :D

Even odds he headbutts a stewardess.

Especially if they are dressed in a too tight brown uniform and wearing a dodgy cowboy hat in red, white and blue :) Give 'em one from me, son :D As for the 'pretties' hope you bag one and join the mile high club :D For sure, give her one from me, son :D

if you guys can just get past the fact that he is black and look at the problem.

they thought there was a problem with his passport ][real or made up] and no matter what happened, right or wrong, he cursed them with an aggressive attitude. please name the country that wouldn't bring you in a back room and discuss it. Doesnt matter if you think he is going to jail, more cursing and attitude, more time.

i have a shaved head, not by choice but because i am hair challenged and this is the best alternative. i have stood in many lines at the airport and watched the immigration officers being polite, sometimes friendly, sometimes with a smile to people in front of me. when i get there I don't get the same treatment. I smile, try to look small, speak a bit of polite Thai but most of the time they are very curt, never smile and sometimes a bit rude. I have been pulled out of line and questioned for 20 minutes before. In every instance I am polite, keep smiling and never rude or question why they did it. Probably because they think i am a skinhead [no tattoos, dress well] and stereotype me. I just go with the flow and it all ends well. I am sure that if I answered back or cursed it would not go well for me. It is not always easy but in the end I win, I am here and free.

this guy, right or wrong, felt he had a point to make, and made it badly. Was it because he was black? who cares, if they are prejudiced then that is all the more reason bend over and take it, It is my advice because you will never win this way, anywhere, any country. If you don't like the way they are going to treat you don't come or grin and bear it. Right or wrong, it is their country and they make the rules. I don't condone either the immigration or the guy doing the cursing, but i know who wins in the end.

Lost in LOS, I wish I was half way as erudite. :)

Good post, and what I have been trying to get across to the PC/ liberal/ 'racists under a bed' activists for the past week.

if you guys can just get past the fact that he is black and look at the problem.

they thought there was a problem with his passport ][real or made up] and no matter what happened, right or wrong, he cursed them with an aggressive attitude. please name the country that wouldn't bring you in a back room and discuss it. Doesnt matter if you think he is going to jail, more cursing and attitude, more time.

i have a shaved head, not by choice but because i am hair challenged and this is the best alternative. i have stood in many lines at the airport and watched the immigration officers being polite, sometimes friendly, sometimes with a smile to people in front of me. when i get there I don't get the same treatment. I smile, try to look small, speak a bit of polite Thai but most of the time they are very curt, never smile and sometimes a bit rude. I have been pulled out of line and questioned for 20 minutes before. In every instance I am polite, keep smiling and never rude or question why they did it. Probably because they think i am a skinhead [no tattoos, dress well] and stereotype me. I just go with the flow and it all ends well. I am sure that if I answered back or cursed it would not go well for me. It is not always easy but in the end I win, I am here and free.

this guy, right or wrong, felt he had a point to make, and made it badly. Was it because he was black? who cares, if they are prejudiced then that is all the more reason bend over and take it, It is my advice because you will never win this way, anywhere, any country. If you don't like the way they are going to treat you don't come or grin and bear it. Right or wrong, it is their country and they make the rules. I don't condone either the immigration or the guy doing the cursing, but i know who wins in the end.

Well thought out post except for one important fact. He became rude only after they had already made him miss his flight and were going to arrest him for a false passport, this had already been decided and becoming rude did not alter this in any way. The example you gave for yourself had you getting on your plane and continuing on to your destination. Not the same at all, if Simon had been as polite as you he still would have spent at least 4 days in jail. Simons rude behaviour did keep him in jail longer than the 4 days it took to sort out his passport though.

It remains obvious the odds they would have even given his passport a second look would have been greatly reduced if he was not black. He was going to jail anyway after the Brits didn't help him. He did make it worse for himself though, I am sure he regrets that.

Homeward bound: Simon Burrowes finally gets off Phuket

PHUKET: After spending a his final night in Phuket under the observation of Phuket City Immigration officers, British national Simon Burrowes finally left Phuket at 5.50pm yesterday aboard a Silk Air flight destined for Singapore, where he was scheduled to catch a connecting flight to the UK.

Asked why Mr Burrowes had to spend his final night on the island under the supervision of immigration officers despite completion of his court case and payment of a 500-baht fine for verbally abusing an Airport Immigration officer in January – when he originally planned to go home – an immigration officer told the Gazette that as Mr Burrowes had no money to pay for accommodation, they had to make sure there were no more problems.

Before coming to Thailand, Mr Burrowes was living in rented accommodation in Wembley, North-West London. He planned to return to his job and home after three months in Phuket.

Due to his extended stay in Thailand, he now faces bleak prospects back home, where he no longer has a job or housing.

Mr Burrowes said that he had “learned a lot” from his experience in the Land of Smiles, but had no plans to ever return here.

Mr Burrowes’s troubles in Phuket began in January, when he was held up at Airport Immigration by officers who suspected his passport may not have been genuine.

The suspicion was initially aroused because Mr Burrowes appeared to be shirtless in the photo on the passport, which was in fact legitimately issued.

As officers tried to verify the passport, Mr Burrowes realized his non-refundable flight would take to the skies without him.

He then became angry and abusive toward the female immigration officer holding his passport.

After pointing a finger at the officer’s face and shouting, “Give me back my [expletive deleted] passport you [expletive deleted] bitch,” Mr Burrowes snatched the passport back from the officer and walked away from the counter.

That move turned an already bad situation into a complete nightmare.

He was arrested and spent three weeks in Phuket Provincial Prison before being bailed and ordered to appear in court on verbal abuse charges. Mr Burrowes initially planned to fight the charges, but pleaded guilty on the day. He was fined 500 baht and released.

Penniless, Mr Burrowes was finally bought an air ticket home by an anonymous Thai benefactor, but when he tried to catch the flight on Friday afternoon he was again foiled by inadequate paperwork – he didn’t understand that he needed to get a police report and then have his visa renewed at the Phuket Immigration Office in Phuket City, some 50 kilometers away, before he could be allowed to leave.

Once again, he had to miss a non-refundable flight.

It was apparently “third time lucky” for Mr Burrowes yesterday evening, however. He was last seen by the Gazette successfully passing through Immigration for his flight to Singapore – again paid for by a friend.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-05-17

"As officers tried to verify the passport, Mr Burrowes realized his non-refundable flight would take to the skies without him.

He then became angry and abusive toward the female immigration officer holding his passport.

After pointing a finger at the officer’s face and shouting, “Give me back my [expletive deleted] passport you [expletive deleted] bitch,” Mr Burrowes snatched the passport back from the officer and walked away from the counter."

any country, name it......................................

terrible to miss the flight and I can see why he got really angry but...................................he got what he deserved....... in my wildest nightmare i couldnt imagine doing it and would expect the same or worse.

would expect the same or worse.

Worse than three weeks in a hel_l hole third world prison, worse than being stuck in Thailand with no money for months, worse than losing your home and job back home? Worse, huh? Why not just LYNCH him being "uppity"?

Edited by Jingthing

would expect the same or worse.

Worse than three weeks in a hel_l hole third world prison, worse than being stuck in Thailand with no money for months, worse than losing your home and job back home? Worse, huh? Why not just LYNCH him being "uppity"?

that is far from being uppity. ok, they went over the top, gave him more than we think he deserved, but no matter what "this is not his country and he is rolling the dice" burma, iran, etc he might have been shot thats worse

lesson learned to all...... no matter how unfair they can be, and they can be unfair......... you WILL lose the battle

Edited by Lost in LOS

lesson learned to all...... no matter how unfair they can be, and they can be unfair......... you WILL lose the battle

Simon may have lost the battle Thailand may have lost the War

If this hits the National Press.

I doubt it will be good publicity, Thailand Certainly could do with good Publicity. Hotel bookings down Ect Ect.

Why Take the chance to come here and run the risk. Embassy Useless. No help at all.

"Asked why Mr Burrowes had to spend his final night on the island under the supervision of immigration officers despite completion of his court case and payment of a 500-baht fine for verbally abusing an Airport Immigration officer in January – when he originally planned to go home – an immigration officer told the Gazette that as Mr Burrowes had no money to pay for accommodation, they had to make sure there were no more problems."

This paragraph from the Phuket Gazette is weird.

Phuket immigration had no problems letting him wander around, on bail, yet with no way of supporting himself for 3 months and then on the last night he is forced to spend the night in the police station.

Seems to me they just wanted to inconvenience him for their own amusement.

After pointing a finger at the officer's face and shouting, "Give me back my [expletive deleted] passport you [expletive deleted] bitch," Mr Burrowes snatched the passport back from the officer and walked away from the counter."

Well this is shocking, what is the source for this information? For months Simon claimed he said something completely different that was not an insult aimed directly at the officials. Was he lying or is this information wrong?

Well this is shocking, what is the source for this information? For months Simon claimed he said something completely different that was not an insult aimed directly at the officials. Was he lying or is this information wrong?

Well he would wouldn't he? :D

Wouldn't you? :)

Oh no,here we go all over again!!! :D

After pointing a finger at the officer's face and shouting, "Give me back my [expletive deleted] passport you [expletive deleted] bitch," Mr Burrowes snatched the passport back from the officer and walked away from the counter."

5 months on and this allegation comes out, very strange!

It's never been mentioned before. :)

I hope Tiparintron Tanaakarachod and Nick Davies can confirm their source~

Edited by GungaDin

Take this information as you want. Believe it or not, I don't care.

What was quoted in the Phuket Gazette is what in the legal transcript I'm guessing. I'll let you decide if the legal transcript was both reliable and truthful. I know someone will ask "so why did he plead guilty to it then?" - just think of the consequences of pleading the other way.

And he is back in the UK.

Thanks to everyone supporting for their support.

And the Thai official would not lie? They both have a saving face interest in what exactly was said. This is why its important to know what the source is, if its from an audio recording great, if not it's suspect since it is suddenly being thrown out there after Simon has left the country. I have followed the story for quite some time, either of them could by lying and I'd like to know the truth.

In fact for a long time, the Phuket immigration insisted they had a recording of the conversation which they would release at the right time. We never heard any more about that. I've no doubt they were lying about this. I've also no doubt had Mr Burrowes pleaded not guilty he would have been faced with huge whoppers in court from Immigration. These would have been considered as evidence but not challenged in court as the Thai justice system is not adversarial.

But one can understand the problems it would bring when a large black man starts screaming and being abuse to a small Thai woman...or would you like it any other way?

So it seems it really was ALL about his skin colour.

But he didn't, and even if so,what does her size and sex have to do with it? She's an officer in the Royal Thai military/police, she shouldn't need protecting from words

Edited by CFIT

But one can understand the problems it would bring when a large black man starts screaming and being abuse to a small Thai woman...or would you like it any other way?

So it seems it really was ALL about his skin colour.

But he didn't, and even if so,what does her size and sex have to do with it? She's an officer in the Royal Thai military/police, she shouldn't need protecting from words

Ofcourse skin-color plays a part. It always does.

But it is minor when a huge abusive man yells at a small immigration officer woman...

Edited by TAWP

I really don't see why people are assuming this is about race. I saw the picture in his passport and thought it looked fake. It also looks like he has no clue how to prepare for an international flight. Him missing his first flight was entirely his fault. He should have arrived at the airport early enough to account for unexpected delays. Because of this mistake he became more than just rude, his behavior in snatching his passport back from the officer was completely unacceptable. Had he not said a word, this action alone should have landed him in jail. He missed his second flight because he again didn't have a clue regarding his visa.

For those who think it is all about race, I have a white Australian friend who gets additional questioning when arriving in the US. The reason, his passport looks suspicious because it had gotten wet in the past. For those that didn't get it, if you have a suspicious looking passport, plan for additional time at the airport regardless of your race or country of origin.

My friend was just waiting for a time between travel long enough that will allow him to get a replacement passport. I bet this guy will get back to the UK and not consider getting a new passport as his "is a valid travel document". My friend's is as well, but he knows it is in *his* best interest to replace it with one that hadn't been through a rain storm. This guy should consider wearing a shirt and being square to the camera for his next passport photo so he won't have such issues again.

Having gone through what he has just gone through I doubt that Simon will be travelling anywhere in the near future.

Remember, he has lost his job and accommodation in England through all this. He now has to start to rebuild his life...

Also, his passport needs to be renewed before June of next year. So, if he is not stupid, he will get a better more appropriate photo taken.

I also had a passport that had fallen into a puddle, Thailand let me in and out with no problems, but coming back into Europe I was told to get it replaced ASAP - which I did. The Embassy here were a bit taken aback that I had even been able to travel with it abroad, let alone been able to leave Switzerland with it...