Trees

I have 16 acres of prime isaan dirt to my name and we have pulled all the scrub and scrawny trees up. Unfortunately, the previous owner cut down some of the more substantial trees so it's looking a bit bare and bereft of shady spots.

Are there any recommendations for a relatively fast-growing tree that will eventually provide some degree of shade and seclusion around the corner of the allotment that's being eyeballed for a home construction? I have heard reference to a 'white teak' but don't know if that's it's proper anglicized name or what.

Many thanks!

I have 16 acres of prime isaan dirt to my name and we have pulled all the scrub and scrawny trees up. Unfortunately, the previous owner cut down some of the more substantial trees so it's looking a bit bare and bereft of shady spots.

Are there any recommendations for a relatively fast-growing tree that will eventually provide some degree of shade and seclusion around the corner of the allotment that's being eyeballed for a home construction? I have heard reference to a 'white teak' but don't know if that's it's proper anglicized name or what.

Many thanks!

Papaya trees seem to grow very quickly, like weeds ..even when you don't plant 'em.LOL I think they are pretty, have large leaves, have great smelling blossom and you can eat the fruit. I think all soft trunk trees grow quickly. I have several which "appeared" around our new house ..growing out of the rubble of building process. Think they are the result of the Thai builders' lunches. One is a year old and 4.5 metres high..lots of fruit.

If you want to consider palm trees see the attached. If you want really huge trees consider the fig but they have a very very invasive root system so don't get anywhere near houses, roads or water lines.

Palms always look good and are reasonable low maintenance........http://www.junglemusic.net/palmadvice/palms-fast-growing-palm-trees1.htm

Dton Jamphi (sorry don't know Eng name) is v. fast growing. It is a member of the magnolia family I think.

There is also Jampha, again similar but different flowers.

There is tall straight tree (name I can never remember) that is used a lot against boundary fences - grows quite quickly. It doesn't branch out and is distinctive for its tall pointy appearance and hence can be planted close together to make a screen. Maybe someone can think of name.

Travellers palms (east-west? palms) make a good low level screen. (look like a fan.)

There is tall straight tree (name I can never remember) that is used a lot against boundary fences - grows quite quickly. It doesn't branch out and is distinctive for its tall pointy appearance and hence can be planted close together to make a screen. Maybe someone can think of name.

It's called "Asoke" in Thai - can't look up the scientific name at the moment.

As cmsally says they are usually planted close together as a screen but being fairly tall and thin do not give much shade from overhead sunshine.

Mango is a relatively fast growing and shady tree - plus the fruit is delicious of course!.

Another is called "Peep" in Thai - not a fruit tree but has quite nice blossoms.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

Many thanks!

To give shade to the sunny side of the house I planted Bamboo trees. No problem wih roots and they grow very very quickly. Can be planted in rows or in clumps. I limit mine to 12 ft tall but they would grow taller.

Many thanks!

If you're not Thai then it's not possible. Foreigners can't own land in Thailand.

Taw Kobe!

You can have a huge full shade tree within 6 months. 2 months & it will give some shade + great tasting berries. large root network - do not plant near concrete. They do shed a lot of leaves. if on the back part of the lot perfect.

• 2 weeks later...
Taw Kobe!

You can have a huge full shade tree within 6 months. 2 months & it will give some shade + great tasting berries. large root network - do not plant near concrete. They do shed a lot of leaves. if on the back part of the lot perfect.

Hi BD,

do you know the botanical name of Taw Kobe?

cheers :)