De-restrictor For The Klx / D-tracker

I've seen several posts on gt-rider about a de-restrictor a guy in CM has developed, seems to get some positive comments. Has anyone on here got one fitted or know anything about them? I've PM'ed the guy a few days ago but he hasn't replied yet. He is asking 2000baht for it, apparently the ecu alters the ignition timing so it doesn't rev over 8000 in 3rd and above, the box gets around this.

He Cromarty,

Ask yourself first what I going to get for 2,000 Baht, or 43 Euro, what makes my bike fly? I have a very good understanding of the 250cc engine, which is used by Kawasaki for the D-tracker and the KLX250. We have in Thailand no limitation on horses so why would Kawasaki restrict the bikes. Remember restrictions like for the European market are just a software upload.

Basically a European Ninja 250R has only two bits different then its Thai brother. Thailand uses the European bikes. I see that the same person is also trying to market its product on Malaysian, Singapore and Indonesian forums, but Kawasaki's sold in this countries are not equipped with fuel injection and I cannot understand how a none fuel injection mod will work on a carburetor bike or visa versa....

Maybe airflow or exhaust, but anything in that region costs much more then 2,000 Baht.... Maybe you buy a 7Eleven strew that he forces into the air-filter so it can breath easier...

Edited by Richard-BKK

He Cromarty,

Ask yourself first what I going to get for 2,000 Baht, or 43 Euro, what makes my bike fly? I have a very good understanding of the 250cc engine, which is used by Kawasaki for the D-tracker and the KLX250. We have in Thailand no limitation on horses so why would Kawasaki restrict the bikes. Remember restrictions like for the European market are just a software upload.

Basically a European Ninja 250R has only two bits different then its Thai brother. Thailand uses the European bikes. I see that the same person is also trying to market its product on Malaysian, Singapore and Indonesian forums, but Kawasaki's sold in this countries are not equipped with fuel injection and I cannot understand how a none fuel injection mod will work on a carburetor bike or visa versa....

Maybe airflow or exhaust, but anything in that region costs much more then 2,000 Baht.... Maybe you buy a 7Eleven strew that he forces into the air-filter so it can breath easier...

Richard, were you not aware that there was a recall on many (all?) of the Thai D-Trackers due to faulty ECU's? Why did the original ECU's have rev limiters? I don't know. But I have a number of friends who had their ECU's replaced by Kawasaki and say their D-Trackers have a lot more power and rev freely to redline with the new ECU's.

Yes Tony, I'm fully aware of the problem... still this is a minor software glitch. Actual all ECU/injection engines have to some short a limiter. It is for modern injection systems possible to fuel a engine so efficient that it will go far beyond it's actual capability. All sensors will compensated for combustion inefficiency and will push the engine to unlimited power.. far beyond designed capacities.

And the fix was just a new software patch, to hock up and upload this patch and test it would take not more then 30 minutes. I bet you not even hit the coffee machine before you drive out again....

Still nothing explains the "only" 2,000 Baht that this person charges to change the performance of your KLX/D-Tracker. I never see a motorcycle which had this mod nor I hear anybody which did this mod and was happy, and I talk people who actual have a D-tracker or KLX250.... Like I can see history or know purchase history...

Edited by Richard-BKK

there is very (read none) little information about it, normally a de-restriction is very obvious. Remapped ECU, Carburetter tops, exhaust etc. This one does seem shielded in mystery, what is also weird is reports that some machines derestrict themselves.

But, the top speed on mine is 115kmh which for a 250cc is very poor. It will not rev over 8000 in 3,4,5 or 6 and does feel strangled. My bike is a new 2009, and had 0km on it. So I would expect it to have the updated ECU to stop the stalling problem.

If I was in CM I would arrange to get it installed and test it before paying, which I'm sure he would do it it was legit. A bit of a gamble having to get it sent to BKK. It must be a relatively simple hack.

I may give it another week of riding (if it will stop bl***y raining!!) and pop back to kawa to see if they will look at the ECU. Talking of which, apart kawa in Rama 9 sell an unofficial remapped ecu. 8,000 baht though.

We have in Thailand no limitation on horses so why would Kawasaki restrict the bikes.

Thailand has some of the toughest emission regulations for big-bikes (more than 200cc) in the world. Thats why Kawa uses the ECU to restrict the engine.

Thailand uses the European bikes.

According to Yamaha Thailand, stated in an interview in Bangkok Post, Euro 3 bikes do not pass thai emission. They only market California emission bikes in LOS

Again, I would love to get a Kawa 250 D-tracker as fun bike, but waiting for an ECU solution to release the fun power. If it only restricts ignition in some gears (not injection) it should be very easy to modify, at very low cost. Remove the gearsensor or give false gearinfo to ECU would be my first idea. But I m not a computer/chips guy, but hopefully there is one in CM :)

Edited by katabeachbum

I have the thing installed on my KLX.

It does work, but don't expect miracles, the low rpm power remains just the same.

Biggest difference is that the engine doesn't stop dead at 8000 rpm in the higher gears.

Still nothing explains the "only" 2,000 Baht that this person charges to change the performance of your KLX/D-Tracker. I never see a motorcycle which had this mod nor I hear anybody which did this mod and was happy, and I talk people who actual have a D-tracker or KLX250.... Like I can see history or know purchase history...

Eh Richard !

Did you forgot what we talk about 2 months ago in another tread??

Cromarty ,

Have fitted one fews months ago ,i drive on road and offroad ,i'm very satisfied .

I was worry about my bike electronics systems (ignition ,EFI...)but still do not have any problem yet and i deal with my KLX like as a small Issan pretty pu**y from Sukumvit!! ...let's say hardly.

U can see more details in "KLX full power " topic.

Cheers

Please enlighten me why can Euro III norm vehicles pass Carb (California Air Resources Board), but Carb approved vehicles do not pass European standards? In Europe I belief they now already in the Euro IV level which is even more tough then the Euro III standard that Thailand now follows.

Thailand doesn't make a difference between 110cc or 1400cc, please tell us more about restrictions for bigger bikes. I know that every motorcycle needs a approval for emission standard, more about that here. Most American motorcycles need to do the test, most European and Japanese motorcycles do not need to be tested as the factory already guarantees that they Euro III or IV

Please enlighten me why can Euro III norm vehicles pass Carb (California Air Resources Board), but Carb approved vehicles do not pass European standards? In Europe I belief they now already in the Euro IV level which is even more tough then the Euro III standard that Thailand now follows.

Thailand doesn't make a difference between 110cc or 1400cc, please tell us more about restrictions for bigger bikes. I know that every motorcycle needs a approval for emission standard, more about that here. Most American motorcycles need to do the test, most European and Japanese motorcycles do not need to be tested as the factory already guarantees that they Euro III or IV

Sorry Richard, cant enlighten you on this. I was quoting Yamaha Thailand on thai emission for big bikes.

Euro 3 was old years ago. My 2001 Audi was Euro 3. Now they make Euro 5, which accepts half the emissions of Euro 3. I have not seen any Euro 3 vehicle pass Calif emission last 5 years.

Your link was interesting, but I failed to find what emission requirements LOS has. But then I m not very good with internett and computers :)

Richard, have you noticed that the Yamaha FJR and FZ6 bikes sold in Thailand are California models? According to Yamaha Thailand this is because the California models meet Thailand's emissions rules while the Euro III models do not. Perhaps you can ask Yamaha why this is.

I suspect it has to do with the testing standards. Like how some motorcycle helmets will meet DOT standards but fail to meet SNELL standards and vice versa.

He Cromarty,

From a friend today:

"I put the New Performance ECU and Regulator in My KLX250 Today which has livened the Motor Up, Can Red Line in every Gear except 6th. Top Speed is 130kmh. OK for a 250cc I suppose. Should have been like this from the Start? Maybe restricted because of Emissions in Thailand??? "

Well Im one of the guys offering the derestriction for 2,000 baht in Chiangmai and i can assure you it does the exactly same thing as the 8,000 Baht CPU from Kawasaki, I dont claim to give the bike more power than it actually has it just bypasses the restrictor which controls the fuel injector from 3rd gear up to 6th and it does it by leaning the engine back, a lot of Thai guys from the D-tracker web site are running colder plugs to keep the engine cooler. Kawasaki here in Chiangmai are claiming that the derestricted CPU will allow you to go to 140 kph, thats K**P. go to the gt-rider web site in "any messages here" and open the topic on derestricting KLX D-Tracker and read Ian Bunjys from the X centres report on his 8,000 baht investment.

We actually put in a couple of months work in working this out and getting it right and to read some of the comments on this blog from people who have opions without doing the home work, well what can i say. :)

John

Well Im one of the guys offering the derestriction for 2,000 baht in Chiangmai and i can assure you it does the exactly same thing as the 8,000 Baht CPU from Kawasaki, I dont claim to give the bike more power than it actually has it just bypasses the restrictor which controls the fuel injector from 3rd gear up to 6th and it does it by leaning the engine back, a lot of Thai guys from the D-tracker web site are running colder plugs to keep the engine cooler. Kawasaki here in Chiangmai are claiming that the derestricted CPU will allow you to go to 140 kph, thats K**P. go to the gt-rider web site in "any messages here" and open the topic on derestricting KLX D-Tracker and read Ian Bunjys from the X centres report on his 8,000 baht investment.

We actually put in a couple of months work in working this out and getting it right and to read some of the comments on this blog from people who have opions without doing the home work, well what can i say. :)

John

There is also a load of info on this topic on Thumper Talk too. All I will say on the matter is a as follows,

if you take a Power commander to pieces or any other modern day electronic device and added up the price of the components used you would ask why are they charging so much money?

The answer is the time taken in development and testing. Now 2000 baht or the 2800 for the kit is low, it is a low price because the people involved are bikers and not a large business!

If you want to pay more, to feel you that you are getting more, then you are truly special and I am sure that a charge of 5000 baht could be made if that makes you feel better?

Welcome to ThaiVisa and bravo for creating a good product and a great price. Don't let the skeptics and naysayers get you down.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Jon you shoulda made people sign a gag order before doing the work :D These knuckleheads have forgotten civilized business practices :) He put in the time and effort to figure it out, give the man his 2k. Until someone can take the next step, then all bets are off :D

Who says the guy posting the greek version didnt figure it out ??

Its information.. Its free.. Keeping the information secret to make a profit, for a simple mod.. Better open source it..

Your right LL maybe this guy figured it out himself, my post was for those who were talking about paying the 2k only to find out what he did and steal the idea :) As far as making a profit, I guess its how much Jon or whoever put the work in values his time :D I certainly wouldn't want to pay his salary in US to do the research and testing, although I am sure they had to have a little bit fun along the way..Take Care

Right LL,

As says Stratos, the (supposed) greek poster who gives a FREE derestriction tip:

"not on the web because everybody is trying to sell the derestriction"

You know!.. 8000 Bahts, 2000 Bahts... or a just a piece of cable, 50 satangs :)

Cheers,

Gobs

I have compared the Greeks method to our method and the difference he has not allowed for is the current coming from the green wire, he has diverted it back to the CPU, where we have components that absord that current and take it away, Im not too sure yet but their could be a chance over time that it might cook the CPU, thats what took us the most ammount of time perfecting our method was working out the right value of the components to avoid over heating the CPU. When we started out trying to derestrict these bikes we found a few different ways of doing it, some ways caused problems over time and cost us money (new CPUs)and the method we use now we didnt offer it out to anyone until we had over 3,000 klms of fault free riding, now with well over 6,000 klms still no problems and not one complaint from bikes we have derestricted. apparently going by the Thai D-Tracker web site some are having problems in second gear useing the CPU supplied by Kawasaki for 8,000 baht

John

• 5 months later...

Well I contacted Aussie John via this forum yesterday and asked him to fit his mod to my D-Tracker 250, which I bought from Kawasaki Chiang Mai about 3 weeks ago. John contacted me and fitted the mod this afternoon.

I have no idea how the mod works, but it's an electrical mod that ads a small box of tricks and now it's a totally different bike.

I cannot comment of the Greek method, except to say that I was not happy with the idea of cutting wires myself.

Aussie John seems to have plenty of experience playing around with bikes and he did an extremely neat and tidy job, and the difference shocking, I mean how the hel_l do Kawasaki justify selling such a restricted bike in the first place?

On top of all that, John is a genuine guy who has been here for years.

Andy

Edited by technologybytes

I got a D tracker in about April 2009, First I had a lot of problem with it that it just stopped and would not start again. The Kawasaki shop changed the computer, and the problem was solved, they told me some of the computers had some errors this year.

One Month later I went back to the shop, irritated that the bike normaly did not go over 114KM, One time downhill 218km.

They then told me to buy a japan computer for 8000Bath, And I did. The bike did not change much in 1,2,3 gear, but 4,5,6 it changed a lot, I can now go 155km with it. But the bike wobles a bit when you pass 135km. If I want even more power during accleration they told me to change to japan exhaust system. I think it was around 20K Bath for a full system. included installation.

If I don't find a place to phurchase a brand new KTM SMC 690 within January, I will go for the Japan exhaust system, just to make me a bit more happy.

So Please let me know if there is any news regarding KTM in thailand

• 2 months later...

hi there Andy!, I'm jonathan and I've living in C.M since my early teens. I'm going to get a D-tracker 250 next week and I'd like to know how to de-restrict the bike, read a bunch of stuff about messing with the ECU and cutting wires, but I'm not really sure how to do it!, I'm planning on changing the muffler(not the all exhaust system), to get a better sound and maybe a bit more performance for the standard exhaust is so dull!....since the bike has EFI, do I have to mess around with that too?......would love some feedback on this, and I'd like "Aussie John" to help me out if possible........thanks a lot and here's my cell...084-372-3722

John

Let the ignorant live in ignorance and heresay...keep up the good work.

hi there Andy!, I'm jonathan and I've living in C.M since my early teens. I'm going to get a D-tracker 250 next week and I'd like to know how to de-restrict the bike, read a bunch of stuff about messing with the ECU and cutting wires, but I'm not really sure how to do it!, I'm planning on changing the muffler(not the all exhaust system), to get a better sound and maybe a bit more performance for the standard exhaust is so dull!....since the bike has EFI, do I have to mess around with that too?......would love some feedback on this, and I'd like "Aussie John" to help me out if possible........thanks a lot and here's my cell...084-372-3722

Just changing the silencer made my derestricted D-Tracker slower! Dang's shop had a near new used one they let me try (I was spending mucho money on other projects), as the customer went with a full new pipe. Did sound nice, more so with the snorkel pulled but the lack of power improvement may be because it was a custom can.

Jonadda, Aussie John, has had many happy D-Trackers and KLX's leave his capable hands.

Congrats on the D-Tracker, perfect CM scoot!