Voip telephony on thai com satellites

Guest IT Manager

Guest IT Manager

I have recently set up 4 customers on IpSTAR and IpTV from CS Loxinfo, 2 of whom specifically wanted the system for voice, as it was advertised on the csloxinfo web site.

It appears that there is a VoIP filter in place, and I am trying to research how many people use satellite, how many wanted it for voice as either first or second reason for getting it, and finally how many have used it successfully in the past, and how many are using it currently.

Any feedback most appreciated. :o

Guest IT Manager

Thanks Sting I will look further. It is becoming quite interesting, as it seems CSLoxinfo advertised the capacity to do voice using the satellite, then eithr changed their minds, and I have some evidence of the change, but not how it was executed, as well as some pressure from the lovely and "talented" CAT.

I will keep this forum up to date on developments.

######

IT,

are you looking about general technical ressources about VOIP in asia, or just feedback from customers here, or technical infos about "who, how, and why" especially for thailand?

For feedback I can not help, but for general ressources, and for technical infos about CS and IPStar I can have some infos by tomorrow evening, just let me know exactly what you are looking for

regards

Sting

dee doo dada ..... dee doo dada

Message in a bottle

Guest IT Manager

Hi Sting,

I liked the song. Tech details of any support or filters for or against VoIP would be beneficial. On ecustomer says he has had access using net2phone buit it is spasmodic and usually sux big time.

Would be very appreciative of anything you come up with.

Also I am doing a survey of customers on my web site which will go up this weekend after I finalise the form and work out the methodology for reporting.

Plan to use email address and location for ID'ing areas where people dial in from and off-set that against view of service/quality/support etc.

Any ideas on form regions would be appreciated as well.

Anyone who is interested in assisting by filling the survey, please check back here over the next week. I will only run it for a month to get an overview from current users and/or those planning to use it.

######

Guest IT Manager
not sure it can help, but we discussed this topic last year in the APNIC meeting in March 2002 in bangkok.

I don't keeped any archive about it, not my field, but I suppose you can find some archives in apnic.net

Sorry Sting just reerring back. Have you any memory of the sessions where it was discussed and/or who presented on the subject. I would also like to contact you, for direct on-line discussion if you have some time, using either MSN or Yahoo. (See Below)

David

An article was published last week - either in the Nation or the BP regarding the great loss that TOT was making as it was losing money to foreign operators.

They (the TOT) plan to stop all voice over IP and foreign operators) and have allocated a task force to do this

I personally would certainly not be happy filling in a survey that may end up in the wrong hands and then lead to the ceasation of your favourite service!

Guest IT Manager
An article was published last week - either in the Nation or the BP regarding the great loss that TOT was making as it was losing money to foreign operators.

They (the TOT) plan to stop all voice over IP and foreign operators) and have allocated a task force to do this

I personally would certainly not be happy filling in a survey that may end up in the wrong hands and then lead to the ceasation of your favourite service!

Thanks for the feedback Croftrobin. The survey will not be for users of services like calling cards etc, but users of VoIP in Thailand from ISP's.

Re falling into the wrong hands, the issue is that TOT already use and monopolise VoIP ia the filters they have in place against IpStar and IpTV users. The so called y-tel service, where you dial 1234 before a long distance number, is an example of this successfully operating. The fact that they prevent certain major US based players from doing business makes me wonder where they will stand vis a vis the WTO rules for doing business in a global economy.

I am not trying to make a loud noise for the sake of it. People buy the satellites which are advertised by CS Loxinfo as being voice capable and available for use for such items as voice traffic etc, as well as other multimedia info-transport systems.

To my way of thinking, it appears to be false advertising at least.

Re the forum, I will be asking people for an indication of the area they live, not their personal details, so I can get a picture of what works and what doesn't.