Tile A Floor

GOWER

Tile cost is anywhere from 100 baht per square meter up. You choose the tile price by brand and quality. Average cost of tile is about 300 to 500 baht per square meter. Labor for a decent tile man is about 150 baht per square meter. The rest is the tile cement and grouting. Very cheap. But you don't mention is the floor area already to lay the tile? Or is it already tiled and needs removal first? All this adds cost for the labor.

Tile cost is anywhere from 100 baht per square meter up. You choose the tile price by brand and quality. Average cost of tile is about 300 to 500 baht per square meter. Labor for a decent tile man is about 150 baht per square meter. The rest is the tile cement and grouting. Very cheap. But you don't mention is the floor area already to lay the tile? Or is it already tiled and needs removal first? All this adds cost for the labor.

i belive it is ready to lay

am i right in saying

tile 300 sqm

labour 150 sqm

t-cement/grout 50 sqm

= 500 baht so 6m x 8m room = 24,000 baht

if it is looks like her having the 100 baht ones :)

thanks

i really appreciate it

In the area where we just built a house, the price of tile in the tile shops ranges from 125 to 150 baht. Nothing over 150 baht/m2.

The contractor paid the laborers between 200 and 300 baht per day. Assuming your base is ready for tile installation, the only other real cost you have is the cost of cement and sand. They typically use about 2-3 cm under the tiles, so you would need 6 x 8 x .03 = 1.44 cubic meters. The cost of the grout is insignificant (25 baht/bag).

Usually, the tile teams are made up of 1 guy who cuts and lays the tile, and a woman who mixes the cement, and carries it in buckets (along with the tiles) to where the guy is laying the tiles. Labor cost is probably about 500 baht/day for the team. Using 2 teams, your labor cost would be 1,000 baht/day and depending upon how many cuts need to be made, the job could probably be finished in 3-4 days.

So - figure 48m2 of tile at 150 baht/m, plus 4 days of labor at 1,000 baht/day = 11,200 baht. As a very rough estimate, I'd say about 2,000 baht for cement and sand, so I'd estimate your total cost to be under 15,000 baht, assuming you can find some experienced local labor that will work for day rates.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently re-tiled an entire house, and would just like to point out that labor costs can vary quite remarkably it seems!

The price we paid was 70Baht/m2 for new work, 90Baht/m2 for the areas where they had to remove the existing tiles/parquetry first. This was labor ONLY - sand and cement were extra.

Our total cost to re-tile that particular house worked out like this:

125m2 60x60cm granito tiles (270 Baht/m2): 33,750 Baht

91m2 of floor to be removed, then tiled: 8,190 Baht

34m2 of over-existing-floor tiling: 2,380 Baht

Cement and sand for the above: 840 Baht

Grand total: 45,160 Baht (361 Baht/m2 all done)

So roughly 7 Baht per m2 for the laying materials.

The design of your tile installation could determine how much tile you buy. A good tile cutter MIGHT be property of the workers or you might purchase a good quality tile cutter. They might use a Makita grinder, some sort of electric saw, and you might consider buying decent cutting wheels so you have less ruined tiles. You might consider buying the 20 kilo bags of the appropriate WEBER brand product instead of a common sand/cement mix for UNDER your tiles. The Weber literature will explain which product they suggest is most suitable for your floor. Example under a shower, under a dry room, etc.. It only costs a small amount to buy one kilo bags of "Crocodile Brand", "Weber" or PSK brand top quality tile grout that has HYDROPHOBIC and MICROBAN properties. The "cheap" tile grout is a poor bargain for a house you are going to live in. You may or may not need to soak your floor tiles in clean water overnight depending on what product you use to afix the tiles to the floor.

In my experience the cost of the above products for the exact same specific model tile, grout, or weber product varied greatly between stores. Shopping for the lowest price on the best products at different stores was worth the time in my opinion. Anyone who has tiled in Thailand recalls, the keeping of a record of the tile grout (it all has a number in English on the bag) and perhaps an empty bag for each room will payoff in spades if you want to match that grout color at a later date. We kept a box or partial box of each different tile stored for a perfect match of any future tile repairs.

You can get your tile crew to match perfectly any tile design you have seen in a Bangkok or Phuket hotel floor, just take a photo and lay out the tile the way you want prior to the cutting and installation of the tile. Cotto has some slick design centers in many Home Marts and even many Up Country independent stores have access to tile design software for free floor tile design plans. The store policy on delivery and full credit returns of unopened boxes can help you decide which store to buy your products.

In my experience the purchase and installation of base molding (in rooms where the wall is painted concrete, not a bathroom or kitchen which might have tile from floor to ceiling on the walls) was CRUCIAL due to the Thai habit of mopping floors each and every day. That damp mop will wear away at the wall paint unless you have molding.

post-20604-1244959744_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1244959767_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1244959782_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1244959915_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1244960040_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1244960122_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
can anyone give me a rough idea how much the total cost would be, to tile a floor 6 metre x 8 metre including materials ...

any advice will be appreciated

thankx

With the proper materials being available these days, the new tile can be installed over the existing tile or wood floor (providing the existing floor is sound). Remove any lose tiles first, baseboard, etc. If you have any doubts, I was doing this 30 years ago in the west; floors, walls, etc., without any problems or call-backs; just have to make sure and use the right materials. Saves a lot of time and mess and only raises the level of floor the thickness of the tile and thin layer of thinset (adhesive) using a notched trowel....

Edited by excaliber