Samui Express

Just got the newest Issue of the paper.

How serious are they working?

Is there somebody checking the facts before they publish the News?

What news in particular are you referring too?

last issue, the "russian freak accident" and this time all those Resorts being on Sale. SE has something of Daily Mirror and Gossip magazine. Anyway, sometimes it's just entertaining.

I do not read SE, but resorts being for sale, is an original article generated from The Nation newspaper & was discussed here on this forum.

i do reckon the paper could fill up more with samui news. there are alot more stories to write about that even i know about. i must admit i can normally read through it in about 3 minutes.

what happed to all the crime and accidents statstics???

maybe need another newspaper to put a bit of health compitition into the media

The stories are simply not edited. They also don't always make sense:

Managers of the three resorts identified in the newspaper story refused to confirm or deny that their hotels were up for sale.

An official of Samui Buri Resort and Spa, one of the four Samui hotels identified by the Bangkok newspaper as offered for sale...

Is it three or four?

And why are only two mentioned in the Express article, when they are taking their info from an article in the Nation?

You can tell that a non-native English speaker is looking over the articles since there is a general problem with prepositions.

They were to exit in the border in Ubon Ratchathani...
At least four big hotels on Koh Samui are up for sale as the global economic crisis and Thailand's political unrest continue to deal big blows on the country's tourism industry, The Nation newspaper has reported.

The fact is that the local content is very limited (and the front page lead is just a regurgitation of another paper's story). I can tell you that I used to edit and totally re-write 3,000 words in a four-hour shift at the national wire service in Taiwan (The Central News Agency).

Most of the Express is news services' reports, which need little if any editing.

Not only that, but the editorial is garbage:

The local government, under the leadership of Mayor Ramnet Jaikwang, has been taking concrete steps to address most of the these problems ("...from lack of basic services and inadequate infrastructure to damage to the environment...") and we have been witnessing improvements that we hope will continue.

What improvements? Even the most basic public works -- the street lights -- don't work. Putting asphalt on the strip of road by Nathon Pier and pretty sidewalks must have cost a bit and was not a priority above such things as street lights, faulty drain grates and potholes around the island.

What I can't understand is why such poor quality is published? Surely these people can read their own paper.

Well, don't buy it, I never did - there are plenty of high gloss (rubbish)

publications with yesterdays news for free - filling the islands garbage tips.....

and the pockets of some... ah' well it's business!

And then there is a Samui radio, plenty of Samui forums on the net and that

much, to run a newspaper on the news is simply not happening!

I have re-opened this thread.It got out of hand & I have deleted several postings.If you wish to discuss the merits or shortcomings of news articles, please do so in a civil manner.References to any individual, are best taken up with that person directly.

• 5 weeks later...