Muay Thai

Hey

I am travelling to thailand in july for a holiday and do a bit of muay thai training. i have been doing it for 6 months and have a good understanding of the basics. i have been looking at training camps online and was just wondering if anyone recommends any good ones. also whats the weather going to be like in that area if you recommend a camp?

Many thanks

brad

I'm actually writing an article about this.

The key to choosing a good camp is to work out a clear list of what you want. This will make the choice much easier.

For example -

Do you want to be in the city or country or by the beach?

Are you just here to train or do you want to sight see?

Do you want to fight while you are over here?

Are you looking to improve technically or get more fight/sparring experience

Do you want to train with majority ferang or thai?

Do you want a clean gym with air con or typical thai style gym with creature comforts?

Will you be living at the gym or staying outside?

And the list goes on.

I'm currently at Sasiprapa gym which is famous for pushing out champions, but if you're not self motivated its not the best place for you because a lot of the time you're left to do your own thing (which is great for me).

I've heard good things about Lanna in Chiang Mai, Tiger in Phuket, Horizon on Kho Pang Yang, Jittis gym in BKK and there's also a new gym in Silom (BKK) called Fighting Spirit which has some very good trainers, but I haven't been there to check it out.

The weather will depend on when you come here. In July it should be starting to cool down but not much rain I think. Put it this way, you'll probably only need to bring one jumper (if that).

www.muaythailand.com is a good site to check out and ask questions about various camps because a lot of people who post on their forum have first hand experience.

Edited by akirasan

Chiang Mai is a good place to start, it's easy to roll into town and find cheap accommodation, plus Lanna is a good camp to get started in. akirasan comments make a lot of sense, since there's camps almost everywhere in Thailand, decide what part of the country you're most interested in visiting, then take it from there. If you can manage a slightly longer trip it will make a big difference--in 1 month you'll see some improvements, but one week is probably too short. Good luck.

Jitti's in BKK has a great rep, I've a few mates who are/have been there and they love it. Jitti can provide accommodation, and the food is supposed to be fantastic.

I guess from your username that you're interested in MMA also? Tiger camp down in Phuket do both MMA and Muay Thai. A girl from my gym is heading there later this year to train for a few months. Tiger have recently spent a lot of money on their facilities too, so the set up is really good.

My website has some information about a bunch of camps. Every two weeks I feature a new camp, and provide my readers with a lot of important information about the camp. You can check it out at dansmuaythaimma.com

Akira,

I'd love to read your article when you finish it. Send me a message through my site when it's done. Thanks man.

Dan

My website has some information about a bunch of camps. Every two weeks I feature a new camp, and provide my readers with a lot of important information about the camp. You can check it out at dansmuaythaimma.com

Akira,

I'd love to read your article when you finish it. Send me a message through my site when it's done. Thanks man.

Dan

Look at what YOU want from the trip. Do you to live and breathe like a Thai fighter.

Do you want to train, get fit, have fun and take in the Thai culture?

Fighting Spirit Gym in in the heart of Bangkok yet hidden from the busy streets. You can walk to pubs, shopping, river and Lumphini park.

There are plenty of places so work out what you want an dI am sure you wont be disapionted

Hey cheers yeh i have got to sit down and answer those questions properley, i just want to go for a hoilday and a weeks hard training to get a bit of cultre and train muay thai at its roots. at the moment i am thinking lanna camp at chang mai sounds good and dan that website is great the reviews are really detailed and give some great insite, must have taken you a while.

cheers for your posts everyone

brad

• 1 month later...
Hey

I am travelling to thailand in july for a holiday and do a bit of muay thai training. i have been doing it for 6 months and have a good understanding of the basics. i have been looking at training camps online and was just wondering if anyone recommends any good ones. also whats the weather going to be like in that area if you recommend a camp?

Many thanks

brad

kombat gym in pattaya seems very good- nice people, nice place

and there is s very nice aussie man called Dan, who is a huge and once fought in japan who has a good place in bangkok, super nice guy too

boxer-rebellion has techical muaythai training, no hard core condtioning and heavy on strategy and technique- soon we will be adding the old style systems for the completely thai expericance

and also, hopefully bando- one of the most effective arts i have ever seen

just as a side note, i comppeted in muaythai for some time, did pretty well, won a title - when i won i used savate ( which I honestly beleive to be an exellent art if well taught) and JKD, the true JKD under ted wong which emphasis straegy and footwork

to get the edge on a muaythai figher I strongly recomend cross training in these systems to give one an edge

it is not for those wishing to get in the ring