Chiang Mai University

rickthailand

This is a good university so the course should be also good. Ask if you can sit in a lesson or get a free demonstration. I think somebody mentioned that they only had weekend courses if I remember correctly. Also have a look at their teaching materials. I would strongly recommend only schools that teach you without transliterated Thai (karaoke Thai) as this is a mistaken way of teaching.

Walen School - Dream Your Dreams in Thai

www.thaiwalen.com

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am looking for a Thai language class held on weekends.

Would anyone have more information about the Chiang Mai University classes? It seems difficult to find any.

Information on any other weekend classes you might know of would be great, too. Most I have looked at run during the week.

Might be better to get a private tutor.

How to Subscribe: Send an email***email removed per forum rules--please PM poster*** (Then reply to confirmation email that will be sent back to you.)

subscribe to these Chiangmai classifieds and you'll have some thai tutor ads there.

Check out www.payap.ac.th as well.

Hello,

I am looking for a Thai language class held on weekends.

Would anyone have more information about the Chiang Mai University classes? It seems difficult to find any.

Information on any other weekend classes you might know of would be great, too. Most I have looked at run during the week.

If you mean the university of Wisconsin's 'College Year in Thailand Programme', I was part of that for the first two years that it was offered. The group (six students) took a variety of courses, some independent study and lived in the homes of Thais. I was the only one who opted to live outside the city in a rice-farming village on the road between Bo Sang and Doi Saket.

Edited by Tilokarat

I would strongly recommend only schools that teach you without transliterated Thai (karaoke Thai) as this is a mistaken way of teaching.

Not necessarily. If you wish to write down new vocabulary that can be studied outside of class and pronounced correctly then you will need some sort of transliteration system as a transitional tool until you have become familiar with the Thai alphabet.

I would strongly recommend only schools that teach you without transliterated Thai (karaoke Thai) as this is a mistaken way of teaching.

Not necessarily. If you wish to write down new vocabulary that can be studied outside of class and pronounced correctly then you will need some sort of transliteration system as a transitional tool until you have become familiar with the Thai alphabet.

IMHO listen to Johpa, I have read his articles, observes, comments, replies, responses, all over Internet, make sense, and he is a few ones which is 100% devoted to Thais & their language, even he left upper North several years ago, I really admire you for you knowledge of the Kingdom, also worth mention your accurate explanation, in various post in SCT Newsgroup 10-15 years ago. Thanks, ex J....

As far as I am aware, the department teaching Thai to foreigners is independent of the university.

Best idea would be to go along and find out for yourself, see if you can sit in on a lesson, etc...

1 year is a long time to sit in a classroom you aren't happy with.

I would also recommend learning the alphabet as soon as you can, it's not as difficult as you might think. Nearly every learn Thai book has a slightly different transliteration system, which can make things difficult, but there's only one Thai alphabet (and a very beautiful one at that)!

Outrageous Thai transliterates เลย as "leri" - who dreamt that one up!

As far as I am aware, the department teaching Thai to foreigners is independent of the university.

Best idea would be to go along and find out for yourself, see if you can sit in on a lesson, etc...

1 year is a long time to sit in a classroom you aren't happy with.

I would also recommend learning the alphabet as soon as you can, it's not as difficult as you might think. Nearly every learn Thai book has a slightly different transliteration system, which can make things difficult, but there's only one Thai alphabet (and a very beautiful one at that)!

Outrageous Thai transliterates เลย as "leri" - who dreamt that one up!

If you mean the university of Wisconsin's 'College Year in Thailand Programme', I was part of that for the first two years that it was offered. The group (six students) took a variety of courses, some independent study and lived in the homes of Thais. I was the only one who opted to live outside the city in a rice-farming village on the road between Bo Sang and Doi Saket.

Sounds interesting, how was it?