Honda Cbr150 Vs Tiger Rs 250

Okay guys, lets hear it! I'm sure there are a lot of opinions regarding these 2 bikes. Including those of you with CBR's that now wish you had an RS250, hehe.

Leave no stone unturned. From performance, parts, accessories, comfort, reliability, price, market saturation, service, everything.

Lets find out all we can so everyone has a good source to reference.

Thanks.

John

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm,

Are you trying to start a pissing contest? :)

Well, I'm not really interested in either bike as they are both too small, but if I had to choose I think I'd go for the CBR as it's a true sport bike, while the Tiger is more of an all around bike. But that's just a matter of personal preference. The Honda certainly has a proven track record, but from all accounts the Tiger is a good solid well made bike too.

Why not include the Ninja 250R in your list? The Ninjette will piss all over both the CBR and the Tiger :D

Okay guys, lets hear it! I'm sure there are a lot of opinions regarding these 2 bikes. Including those of you with CBR's that now wish you had an RS250, hehe.

Leave no stone unturned. From performance, parts, accessories, comfort, reliability, price, market saturation, service, everything.

Thanks.

John

Forget about the Honda CBR John and go Tiger Boxer 250RS

CBR:

1st- it looks so thin and when you are on it you look so clumsy.

2nd- This topic has been discussed sooooooo many times before that there is a long forum history if you want to go into it John.

3rd- Go new and make a difference.

Tiger Boxer:

1st- New model and look....at least for the Thai public.

2nd- bigger bike than the cbr

3rd- Forget about comparing the mechanics, the Boxer is high quality and is being rectified/improved all the time by Tiger's mechanics and experts.

4th- Test it and you will see for yourself.

FV

It is a bit unfair to compare a 250cc class motorcycle to a 150cc motorcycle, also both motorcycle's are positioned in a different riding segment.

The Tiger Boxer 250 RS is more, what is called a sport-touring bike, and the Honda CBR150R is a real sport bike. Due to the low-revving of the Tiger Boxer engine and the high revving of a Honda CBR150R engine it is to some level possible to compare the two motorcycles.

I rode both the Tiger Boxer 250 RS and several Honda CBR150R, the Tiger is easy and it's low-revving engine gives performance a very low rpm, personally I have the feel, that the Honda CBR150R is giving me the feeling at around 9,000 to 10,000rpm. Due to this high revving power-curve it is for a beginner not easy to keep the CBR150 in the right rpm's to keep it from losing its advantage over other motorcycles.

The Tiger Boxer 250 RS is much more forgiving, it is possible to shift gears up without falling out of the power-curve.

As I said I have experience on both motorcycle's and the Boxer 250 RS I can get as high as 140km/h, with still having the idea I can get more.... The 3 Honda CBR150R's I ever rode I was not able to go over 115km/h, also it toke me remarkable more time to get to that speed.

The Tiger and the Honda's I had the pleasure to ride where all non-modified motorcycles, and I need to say that in Thailand there are oceans of possibilities to modify a Honda CBR150R, will a Tiger Boxer 250 RS has in modifying parts a something I would call a little lake.

Depending on your size, but if you the non-Asian size you probably would find it more comfortable to ride a Tiger. Again for the Honda there are several options to enhance the riding position for larger riders.

As last, Tiger is really open, you can contact them and make your bike ala-carte, and they even listen to critics and improve on customers input. For example, one member on this board complained about the comfort of the seat of the Boxer 250 RS, Tiger improved the seat in less then a month.

Also service with Tiger is easy, at least in Bangkok, as several Tiger people speak actual English... With actual I mean they hear what you say and not hear what they would like to hear....

------------------------------

And if we need to belief the CEO of Honda, all motorcycles in Thailand without Fuel-Injection will go out of production...

Edited by Richard-BKK

Thanks.

John

Forget about the Honda CBR John and go Tiger Boxer 250RS

CBR:

1st- it looks so thin and when you are on it you look so clumsy.

2nd- This topic has been discussed sooooooo many times before that there is a long forum history if you want to go into it John.

3rd- Go new and make a difference.

Tiger Boxer:

1st- New model and look....at least for the Thai public.

2nd- bigger bike than the cbr

3rd- Forget about comparing the mechanics, the Boxer is high quality and is being rectified/improved all the time by Tiger's mechanics and experts.

4th- Test it and you will see for yourself.

FV

Got to agree this topic has been discussed and you may be best off to test the bikes of your chhoice...dtracker,klx ,boxer,cx 135, cbr ... in the end you will be best off to first test the Tiger Boxer because after testing it you will no need to look further.

mbox

It is a bit unfair to compare a 250cc class motorcycle to a 150cc motorcycle, also both motorcycle's are positioned in a different riding segment.

The Tiger Boxer 250 RS is more, what is called a sport-touring bike, and the Honda CBR150R is a real sport bike. Due to the low-revving of the Tiger Boxer engine and the high revving of a Honda CBR150R engine it is to some level possible to compare the two motorcycles.

I rode both the Tiger Boxer 250 RS and several Honda CBR150R, the Tiger is easy and it's low-revving engine gives performance a very low rpm, personally I have the feel, that the Honda CBR150R is giving me the feeling at around 9,000 to 10,000rpm. Due to this high revving power-curve it is for a beginner not easy to keep the CBR150 in the right rpm's to keep it from losing its advantage over other motorcycles.

The Tiger Boxer 250 RS is much more forgiving, it is possible to shift gears up without falling out of the power-curve.

As I said I have experience on both motorcycle's and the Boxer 250 RS I can get as high as 140km/h, with still having the idea I can get more.... The 3 Honda CBR150R's I ever rode I was not able to go over 115km/h, also it toke me remarkable more time to get to that speed.

The Tiger and the Honda's I had the pleasure to ride where all non-modified motorcycles, and I need to say that in Thailand there are oceans of possibilities to modify a Honda CBR150R, will a Tiger Boxer 250 RS has in modifying parts a something I would call a little lake.

Depending on your size, but if you the non-Asian size you probably would find it more comfortable to ride a Tiger. Again for the Honda there are several options to enhance the riding position for larger riders.

As last, Tiger is really open, you can contact them and make your bike ala-carte, and they even listen to critics and improve on customers input. For example, one member on this board complained about the comfort of the seat of the Boxer 250 RS, Tiger improved the seat in less then a month.

Also service with Tiger is easy, at least in Bangkok, as several Tiger people speak actual English... With actual I mean they hear what you say and not hear what they would like to hear....

And if we need to belief the CEO of Honda, all motorcycles in Thailand without Fuel-Injection will go out of production...

Just to add on (cause I'm a Honda whore), I have yet to see even the smallest moobaan not be able to work on a CBR 150. Although I understand that the Tiger is a simple, reliable motor, it'd be like taking your Aprilla to the H-D network of dealers for service in the States. Yeah they could work on it, but would they have the parts.

The CBR shares a LOT with the Sonic; there's performance parts that will bolt right up. Can you say that about Tiger?

I do have to disagree with Richard about the CBR not being a beginner's bike. I was essentially a beginner when I came to LOS, not having ridden anything in some 10 years. And for starting off, the ample thrust in lower RPMs is enough. You won't win any stoplight drag races without riding the CBR like a two-stroke, but you won't be terribly embarrassed either. Another thing to consider is that for a n00b, the slower speeds of the CBR (until it's on boil) is probably a good thing.

The CBR just winds right up, having a lightweight piston and flywheel does that; a half-ways experienced rider can definitely keep it in power and do the 130+. Don't know why Richard hasn't met that speed, but it's been commonly reported in the CBR thread and I've seen it several times. Not as fast as my Ninjette, of course, but it still gets going.

Finally, I'm a rather large dude, at least at the waist, and don't find the CBR to be that bad. I really like the saddle because I can slide all over it to get the position that I want. My CBR is mostly used for city work and the narrowness is a big win for me. The super tight steering also gives it an edge over the only thing I can compare it to (the Ninja 250).

It seems that Tiger is trying to improve their brand image, and it's exciting to watch a small company try and stick it to the man (Honda).

Hmmm,

Are you trying to start a pissing contest? :)

Well, I'm not really interested in either bike as they are both too small, but if I had to choose I think I'd go for the CBR as it's a true sport bike, while the Tiger is more of an all around bike. But that's just a matter of personal preference. The Honda certainly has a proven track record, but from all accounts the Tiger is a good solid well made bike too.

Why not include the Ninja 250R in your list? The Ninjette will piss all over both the CBR and the Tiger :D

This is just the kind of info I need. I realize they are both small, but I'm kind of liking the small thing a bit. Not to mention the Ninja is 2-3 times the cost, but still very small. In my other thread about the Tiger RS 250 you can find that I ride a Buell S-3 (photos) in the U.S. and off road an XR650R, unfortunately, they will not make it here anytime soon, if ever. I just want something decent and easy to ride for all around transportation, and as I am partial to Honda, I will need to be talked out of it. It seems though that for my purposes the Tiger may fit better. I just can't decide. Surely I will need to ride a few bikes to get a better idea. I haven't had a bike this small since I was 14.

So, are you saying the CBR is better than the RS? And which is faster? :D = pissing contest

John

post-72010-1242623662_thumb.jpg

He Dave,

A bit off topic, but I actual belief that most H-D dealers will know what to do with a Aprilia, Aprilia engines are made by Rotax, which also made engines for Buell.

Still I have to agree that Tiger has not as wide network of dealers and service centers as you would find if you ride a Honda CBR150. But I need to say that more and more dealers and service locations become available.

Edited by Richard-BKK

Exactly the kind of stuff I need to hear, even from you Richard, hehe.

1. I'm down to 87 kg's 174cm

2. Love Honda

3. Have no idea what this meant "will a Tiger Boxer 250 RS has in modifying parts a something I would call a little lake."

4. Glad they speak "real" English at Tiger, haha

5. Fuel Injection is the "Sh!T", I mean that in the best way.

6. I'm already dressed and going to try to find the Tiger dealer on Phahon Yonthin today.

7. Thanks

John

He Dave,

A bit off topic, but I actual belief that most H-D dealers will know what to do with a Aprilia, Aprilia engines are made by Rotax, which also made engines for Buell.

Still I have to agree that Tiger has not as wide network of dealers and service centers as you would find if you ride a Honda CBR150. But I need to say that more and more dealers and service locations become available.

My Buell is a 1999 S-3, so it is a true Harley-Davidson engine. High compression, fuel injected, but still an H-D engine, see photos.

Exactly the kind of stuff I need to hear, even from you Richard, hehe.

1. I'm down to 87 kg's 174cm

2. Love Honda

3. Have no idea what this meant "will a Tiger Boxer 250 RS has in modifying parts a something I would call a little lake."

4. Glad they speak "real" English at Tiger, haha

5. Fuel Injection is the "Sh!T", I mean that in the best way.

6. I'm already dressed and going to try to find the Tiger dealer on Phahon Yonthin today.

7. Thanks

John

1. About the same height as me; but much slimmer

2. yep

3. Honda has a lot of modifications available for the CBR(an ocean). Tiger has well...(a little lake).

4. yep

5. yep

6. good luck

Just to add on (cause I'm a Honda whore), I have yet to see even the smallest moobaan not be able to work on a CBR 150. Although I understand that the Tiger is a simple, reliable motor, it'd be like taking your Aprilla to the H-D network of dealers for service in the States. Yeah they could work on it, but would they have the parts.

The CBR shares a LOT with the Sonic; there's performance parts that will bolt right up. Can you say that about Tiger?

I do have to disagree with Richard about the CBR not being a beginner's bike. I was essentially a beginner when I came to LOS, not having ridden anything in some 10 years. And for starting off, the ample thrust in lower RPMs is enough. You won't win any stoplight drag races without riding the CBR like a two-stroke, but you won't be terribly embarrassed either. Another thing to consider is that for a n00b, the slower speeds of the CBR (until it's on boil) is probably a good thing.

It seems that Tiger is trying to improve their brand image, and it's exciting to watch a small company try and stick it to the man (Honda).

Dave, I am a Honda whore too. Love them. I'm really really far from being a noob. Service and parts availability is of a lot of importance to me, not just in Thailand, so much so that I am considering just getting a Sonic and putting some more aggressive rubber on it and using it like an enduro and city rider until I can manage to get a real bike (My Buell,hehe) over here. Then I will have both. I like them all, each for their own reasons. I even calculated what it would cost for me to buy one each of a Nouvo Elegance, a Sonic, a CBR150, and a Tiger RS, becauase I couldn't decide. Each has their benefit. Maybe a Sonic is all I need for the all around and dual purpose I need right now. I'm enjoying the back to the small bike experience. I wish I had one handy to ride for a couple days. Anybody know where I can rent one in Bkk?

I'm going to go to the Tiger Dealer in Bkk today.

John

Dave, I am a Honda whore too. Love them. I'm really really far from being a noob. Service and parts availability is of a lot of importance to me, not just in Thailand, so much so that I am considering just getting a Sonic and putting some more aggressive rubber on it and using it like an enduro and city rider until I can manage to get a real bike (My Buell,hehe) over here. Then I will have both. I like them all, each for their own reasons. I even calculated what it would cost for me to buy one each of a Nouvo Elegance, a Sonic, a CBR150, and a Tiger RS, becauase I couldn't decide. Each has their benefit. Maybe a Sonic is all I need for the all around and dual purpose I need right now. I'm enjoying the back to the small bike experience. I wish I had one handy to ride for a couple days. Anybody know where I can rent one in Bkk?

I'm going to go to the Tiger Dealer in Bkk today.

John

I would like to point out that spares from Tiger are easily available, even when not in BKK . This friday i will get my new speedo (digital madass) and tiger send their service team 240 km north to do that(cause i live there)...this they have done before , even though a service dealer is also here...so it should just underline their willingness to provide good service ...will post pics of my bikes speedo in this forum once the madass Speedo is mounted...

mbox

Having rode both. I would say it depends on your personal riding style. if you like the sports bike feel then the Cbr150. eg revvy engine, lots of gear changing. Top speed about 130-140kmh (dependent on weight).

OR the 250rs a touring type bike. get it into top gear and leave it (lots of torque). top speed about 130-140 (5speed)

Both have good suspension and brakes. if you do a lot of 2 up riding then defo the 250rs because of the midrange torque.

Build quality is similar, Honda slightly better (as it should be after 7 years of production and one of the largest bike makers in the world)

If Honda put a 250 in the Cbr frame THEN it would be a no brainer. But they aint likely to do that.

Allan

Richard, I'm calling BS on this.

I know you have had some on the forum saying you were anti-Cbr150R but I gave you benefit of the doubt.

I have been to your web-site many times to read articles and on there you mention owning and riding several types of bikes. So you aren't a bike-newbie who could be forgiven.

As I have said in other posts, I have seen an indicated 155kph on my Honda 150. Even allowing for 10% error, that is 140kph.

If you want a fast, lightweight, cheap, nice looking sports bike and to be a Honda. Forget the CBR 150, go try an NSR 150. You wont be farting around trying to get 130 or 140 km/hr. Its an exhilerating little bike with a big grin factor. Goes like shit off a shovel.

Sorry Bobbin,

I belief I never called the Honda CBR150R a bad bike, I not see myself as anti CBR150R. In the last 2-years I only said that in 2009 Honda will stop producing the CBR150R. And by announcement of the CEO of Honda, at the beginning of this year, you can assume I was right.

Some people still hope that Honda is going to introduce a Honda CBR150 with fuel-injection, I even hope they do, but honestly I don't see it happen. If they where working on a CBR150 with fuel-injection some people at Honda Thailand would know. Honda Southeast Asia is in the middle of a serious reorganization and the former Thai manufacturer (APHonda) is recently changed its statues to Affiliate Honda Distributor. It seems that Honda is concentrating its production and models on the production of 110 and 125cc motorcycles/scooters. This is for Honda the market where they make the most profit.

And if somebody can show me a unmodified Honda CBR150R, which can do 155km/h with a rider of 130kg, then yes it was all BS.

Most motorcycle forums are to inform viewers with useful information and assist them in a idea of what they plan to buy. Even since basically everybody on this boards knows that Honda is going to stop producing the Honda CBR150R people still advice readers to buy one. Even if Honda by a miracle pulls a 150cc motorcycle out of the head it would not be anything close to a CBR150. As I showed in another tread Honda Thailand is studying the possibility of the Honda 150cc Titan... this is a 150cc motorcycle which can run on almost any fuel you feed it.

More about the Honda Titan in Thai and more in English

The Honda Titan is for most Honda CBR150R lovers a joke, as it performance is around 13hp and it is air-cooled and it uses SOHC valves.

post-12170-1242640189_thumb.jpg

post-12170-1242640256_thumb.jpg

post-12170-1242640393_thumb.jpg

Edited by Richard-BKK

Sorry Bobbin,

I belief I never called the Honda CBR150R a bad bike, I not see myself as anti CBR150R. In the last 2-years I only said that in 2009 Honda will stop producing the CBR150R. And by announcement of the CEO of Honda, at the beginning of this year, you can assume I was right.

Some people still hope that Honda is going to introduce a Honda CBR150 with fuel-injection, I even hope they do, but honestly I don't see it happen. If they where working on a CBR150 with fuel-injection some people at Honda Thailand would know. Honda Southeast Asia is in the middle of a serious reorganization and the former Thai manufacturer (APHonda) is recently changed its statues to Affiliate Honda Distributor. It seems that Honda is concentrating its production and models on the production of 110 and 125cc motorcycles/scooters. This is for Honda the market where they make the most profit.

And if somebody can show me a unmodified Honda CBR150R, which can do 155km/h with a rider of 130kg, then yes it was all BS.

Most motorcycle forums are to inform viewers with useful information and assist them in a idea of what they plan to buy. Even since basically everybody on this boards knows that Honda is going to stop producing the Honda CBR150R people still advice readers to buy one. Even if Honda by a miracle pulls a 150cc motorcycle out of the head it would not be anything close to a CBR150. As I showed in another tread Honda Thailand is studying the possibility of the Honda 150cc Titan... this is a 150cc motorcycle which can run on almost any fuel you feed it.

More about the Honda Titan in Thai and more in English

The Honda Titan is for most Honda CBR150R lovers a joke, as it performance is around 13hp and it is air-cooled

Well, that weight doesn't make me feel so bad. How 'bout a frame of reference in regards to height so we don't obtain a visual picture of a dwarf who is 5 foot by 5 foot?

I'm 100 +/- (fluctuates quite a bit), but I'm not all that tall (5'9"). And thus I'm able to tuck in pretty well on the CBR. I don't know if you're able to do the same, or rather have a frame that precludes this, but I'd be willing to bet that you're taller than I and the wind resistance of your body has more to do with the CBR not reaching speed than your weight.

I'm not so sure that Honda won't release big bikes in LOS. After all, many, many manufacturers have products that are actually loss leaders but are used as drool-worthy products to get people to purchase their less products. Case in point; the Desomdici RR. How many people have one of those? And yet how many people buy a Ducati Monster based on the assumption that the same care and technology went into it? Honda does the same thing elsewhere in the world; I'd bet their sales of the CBR 1000RR is miniscule compared to the sales of the 600....

I've already bitched about that Titan in the other thread, so I'm going to let that dog lie. However, I don't think it's a bad idea to promote, regardless of the possiblity that they're not sold as new stock next year, CBR 150R. There's a ton of them on the road, Honda dealership in every corner of the Kingdom, etc. Also, in regards to your earlier reply; yes Aprilla uses the same supplier of their engine as Buell. However, the Rotax engine in 2 (!) of Buell's models is a clean sheet design. Plus I'd love to see the HD dealership that has the tools to perform a simple valve adjustment on an Aprila!

**oh, and get your metaphors correct; it's pulls a 150cc motorcycle out of their ass**

richardbkk - did you think all the CBR's were 4-speeds? Both mine did 125 without over-reving, in fifth. Then CBR has a SIXTH gear. And a TACHOMETER. Maybe in ten more years you could write road tests.

I have never seen a Tiger Boxer 250 north of Patpong. It's only a 239 cc engine.

He Dave,

I'm 196cm, that is for US citizens 1'43", and now-a-day my weight is a bit lower, I'm now something like 95 to 100kg. For the Honda Titan, it is a technological marvelous bike...

196cm? That's like a bear on a tricycle.....no wonder you weren't going too fast (although there were probably other factors)--your body was acting like a brake chute on a drag racing car!

I don't much see what's a technologial marvel about the Titan; you've been able to feed diesel (and turbine) engines just about anything from their prototypes. I'd be much more impressed if they were able to do what they're doing at a modicum of power.

Peaceblondie...think you truncated the "2" off of 239. And don't know how that has much to do with this subject; the CBR is 'short' displacement also.

**edit**

And looking at those pictures of the Titan (sorry, didn't see them earlier), I'm even less impressed. Stupid bike is pimping a Wave silencer, a Charly looking top triple tree/handlebar, and an overall goofy appearance. Colour me un-impressed. Also, it is a flex fuel bike, looks cheap, etc., but how long until the preceived market (third world where the quality of fuels isn't assured) manages to get it gunked up? And how's Somchai, or Pablo in SA, or Mr. Singh in India supposed to leave all those years of working on carb'd bikes and learn this new-fangled fuel injection?

Edited by dave_boo

Oh, yeah, I found some pictures of the Titan at an expo.

titan-mix-sae-6.jpg

titan-mix-sae-9.jpg

The so called hi-tech is just multiple maps stored in the ECU; it measures the O2 readings and changes maps. Nothing new about that!

Not only is it running on less than 3/4 the power as the CBR, it weighs at least 14 kg more! Or in other words, it's 9.92 kilos per HP versus the CBR's 6.76 kilos per HP. Add in a 100 kilo rider and you're looking at an even greater spread (17.62 kg/HP versus 12.65 kg/HP).

Hello Peaceblondie,

I have not really an idea what you mean with "not all CBR's where 4-speeds". And I'm happy that your Honda CBR150R can go faster then 125km/h, are you my build are you my weight? And riding with my belly flat on the fuel-tank is a bit past my years... Some people grow-up, and in the natural riding position I was on 3 different CBR150R not able to get over 115km/h. I did not said that the CBR150R cannot go faster, with a Somchai of 55kilo it probably hit what ever speed... still it is not my experience... And sorry if you misunderstand me not correct, I was talking about my personal experience.

And Peaceblondie for somebody who complains about somebodies writing of his personal impression of two motorcycles, you write little yourself... I just try to give my option, if not appreciated don't read it...

Edited by Richard-BKK

The tiger has a stainless aftermarket type downpipe, the cbr doesn't BUT a stainless argon welded downpipe for the cbr is only 1000 baht, no need for DBS , Endurance or NMF, unless you want a mandrel bent pipe without welded sections...25% increase in midend power, with no real noticeable loss in low or hi end power.

Go to somchai and get the muffler derestricted for 500 baht, and you get another 15%, but keep the same size perforated tubing inside...remove the restriction flange.

Change the sprockets on the cbr to 15/44 for another 500 baht - and the combined performance with pipe and silencer will equal a 50% increase in useable torque, which will run 700 rpm faster than 16/42 gearing, hitting the same speeds but quicker...change to 14/48 or 15/48 sprockets and hang on for a buttload of bottom end.

If you just do the sprockets it will run 500rpm higher at 15/44 gearing, the new pipe flows more so the rpms will climb faster easier.For those who think you will lose top end speed with 15/44 gearing, you won't it will just run at a higher rpm, since the cbr likes high rev's, its in its intended environment.

Add a needle platinum plug for 200 baht (model NGK - CR8)and the throttle response will become sharper, gap the plug properly to 1.1mm and another 5-10% in throttle response comes up...not power , but throttle response.

All of these I have done one by one and I can verify...and this is without tuning the carburetor yet.

I can do ATLEAST 120 with two people all day (approx 130kilos) every day, by myself 140 on a daily basis and 150 with 10 more seconds to get there from 140.

To summarize, the tiger basicly has an aftermarket pipe as OEM. Add higher gearing and we will see if the torque is still there.

IMO the tiger has been tuned from the factory.

Spend 2200 baht on the cbr and the performance is increased dramatically, it's a totally different bike...possibly surpassing the tiger.

For some reason ive seen stock cbr's with a varierty of different gearings anything from 16/38, 15/32, 16/42, 15/44, 16/32...for some reason honda put them out the factory with different gearing for different year models apparently. So the performance is really all over the board.