Internet Still !@#$% Slow

sbk

Hubby talked to some internet cafes in town and they are having the same internet problems we are. Sometimes fast (which is why I am using it now) and sometimes slow. but mostly slow :o:D

Is it just the island or is anyone else experiencing these difficulties (even the dsl places are having a tough time)??

its always been the same ,and will be till they install suitable fibre optic all over plus modern telephone exchanges .

this will take an enormous investment so dont hold your breath waiting for superfast internet in Thailand let alone BKK .

the telephone infrastructure is crap .. :o

As a matter of fact they have modern fiber optic system in place here. Don't let the phone lines dangling in the breeze fool you. Most lead to very up to date equipment. What we do not have is affordable international connections for Internet. If you use only in Thailand you might be surprised at how good the system can be. When you use for outside of Thailand is when the reality hits. :o

From last night until this afternoon I was unable to login to either Ji-Net or TOT online, just kept giving the standard login error. Tried my 2nd backup, via AIS/GPRS and ... it was positively flying.... had download speeds around 12 Kb/s, wow! Never managed to get more than 1 (one) Kb/s before. Wonder what that all was about. Now if it was always that good and didn't cost an arm and a leg I'd be using that only from now on!

Last Thursday afternoon and evening was bad for Pacific Internet in Phuket. The customer support woman had the cheek to tell me "it's always like this at this time, when the kids get home from school". Stupid woman! I'm on every day, so I know when it's bad and when it isn't. So I pestered her to check and she came up with excuse number 23 from the "Fob off the customer" booklet issued to all Pacific employees - "there's a problem with a fibre link to Bangkok, the technician's working on it". Anyway, 3 hours later it was back to normal.

.  When you use for outside of Thailand is when the reality hits.  :o

May I assume this includes accessing Usenet NGs?? That's where I spend most of my online time.

As there is no decent server for USNET inside Thailand (due to lack of interest and cost to keep it updated) it will include them. The only advantage is that you can time your download to a slow use period and then read off-line later.

.  When you use for outside of Thailand is when the reality hits.   :o

May I assume this includes accessing Usenet NGs?? That's where I spend most of my online time.

As there is no decent server for USNET inside Thailand (due to lack of interest and cost to keep it updated) it will include them. The only advantage is that you can time your download to a slow use period and then read off-line later.

Thanks! I've been reading rec.bicycles.racing for twelve years, and rec.sport.golf for almost six. I've come and gone in others including soc.culture.thai which is a waste land--thank goodnes for this forum. I used to ignore web based forums like the plague but I'm finally coming around!

:D

Edited by dclaryjr

Just ran a test and got this result from my ipStar service. A little slower but that is cause all the kids on the net playing games throughout Thailand on a weekend.

2005-02-06 00:36:51 EST: 401 / 71

Your download speed : 411377 bps, or 401 kbps.

A 50.2 KB/sec transfer rate.

Your upload speed : 72939 bps, or 71 kbps.

Just ran a test and got this result from my ipStar service.  A little slower but that is cause all the kids on the net playing games throughout Thailand on a weekend.

2005-02-06 00:36:51 EST: 401 / 71

Your download speed : 411377 bps, or 401 kbps.

A 50.2 KB/sec transfer rate.

Your upload speed : 72939 bps, or 71 kbps.

And with the lack of booze availible probably more people online as well. :o

cv