Shipping Personal Items

thaiaan

I plan on having Sunbelt send me forms by courier for a non-imm 1 year B visa so I can go to the Thai consul here.I will get the visa at the last moment when I am ready to leave.

I would like to ship my personal effects,mostly books,CD's,etc., before I go so that they would arrive in BKK after I arrive there.It would be a small shipment ,maybe a 5'x5' or small closet full.

Do I first need a work permit to be able to ship my belongings there?Would I have to first go to BKK with my visa and then get a work permit then go back home to ship my stuff?

Also which companies do smaller non-container shipments to BKK and the cost not speed of shipment is more mportant?

When we shipped our belongings from Europe to BKK, our movers were very worried about shipping them before I had my work permit. In the end, they only did it because I explained to them that my work permit application was in and I would have it about 4 weeks before the belongings arrived.

They said that if I didn't have the work permit, the belongings couldn't arrive in Thailand without me being liable for import duties. I'm not sure if that was true and fortunately didn't have to find out!

12 months ago I shipped personal goods from Saudi Arabia to my Bangkok address. I had a promise of employment (which happened) and the work permit was "in processing". My personal goods arrived in Bangkok about two weeks after I did. I was called and told to appear at an address (presumably the transport company) with my work permit within 4 days so my goods could be cleared through customs, otherwise storage charges would begin. There was no way I was going to get a work permit in 4 days.

It was cleared up for 4000B. Total weight was 50kg (a PC and personal stuff).

Because I may soon face a similar situation from Kuwait to Bangkok, I have been looking for alternatives. The best offered so far was to contact the air carrier I planned to use and ask for the rates for unaccompanied baggage, being careful to label the baggage as personal use items. I'll probably be trying that within the next month.

Just a thought...

Bit of a brief breakdown on some freight charges EX London to>>>from a company that seems pretty high profile...FIO... :D

Based on a 4.5 cuft Tea Carton (Brook Bond-Tetley ..dont know)

Big advantage is that it is Door to Door...other prices to the PORT also By Air :D

SEAFREIGHT (Worldwide)

Excess Baggage rates ex London (please call for other point to point destinations).

Rates quoted in GBP (pounds sterling).

Destination Door to Door Door to Port 4.5 CUFT

Tea Carton Min. Charge 4.5 CUFT

1st Each Extra 1st Each Extra but min charge ......f :o or Reference...

Australia............144 - 83 -

Hong Kong...... ..155 - 64 -

New Zealand .....144 - 83 -

Philipines............104 - 50 -

Singapore...........155 - 64 -

Thailand........... .145 - 75-

United States..... 205 - 65 -.

http://www.excess-baggage.com/searates.php