Fiscal Treaty U.s.a-thailand

Hi all,

I live in Thailand (Phuket) and run company here.

This company is, also, a Publisher company. I'm going to publish a book within few weeks with Booksurge (an Amazon company) .

The 'problem' is that, since I'm not U.s. resident, nor have a bank account in the U.s., I need them to send me the money here in thailand

to my company bank account, and that's ok.

"problem" is, Amazon will hold a "holding tax" (30%) if Thailand and U.s. do not have a fiscal treaty that allows me to pay the taxes just here in

Thailand (and this is what I'd like to do).

I attach here a brief piece of how the amazon agreement reads:

Please note that royalties paid to a foreign entity or person are subject to tax withholding in the U.S. A foreign entity or person is someone who is not a resident or citizen of the U.S. or a green card holder. The general rate of tax withholding is set by U.S. tax rules and regulations and is currently 30% of royalties paid. This withholding tax rate can be reduced if the recipient (you) is resident in a jurisdiction that has a valid income tax treaty with the U.S. This reduced rate is only available if we receive the appropriate documentation from you. Without this documentation, the 30% withholding tax rate will apply. This documentation is either Form W-8BEN or Form W-8ECI issued by the Internal Revenue Service and includes a valid U.S. taxpayer identification number (obtained by filing Form W-7 or SS4).

Now, my question is: there's anybody who has already done something similar, running a thai company and receiving money from the U.s.?

I've already asked my accountant naturally, but he's a bit lazi in answering me this time and I'd like to hear more than one advice, because I'm guessing I'm the first of his customers to do this and like to be sure I can skip this witholding tax and pay taxes just here in thai, as I normally do.

Thanks in advance for any help

IKO

Hi all,

I live in Thailand (Phuket) and run company here.

This company is, also, a Publisher company. I'm going to publish a book within few weeks with Booksurge (an Amazon company) .

The 'problem' is that, since I'm not U.s. resident, nor have a bank account in the U.s., I need them to send me the money here in thailand

to my company bank account, and that's ok.

"problem" is, Amazon will hold a "holding tax" (30%) if Thailand and U.s. do not have a fiscal treaty that allows me to pay the taxes just here in

Thailand (and this is what I'd like to do).

I attach here a brief piece of how the amazon agreement reads:

Please note that royalties paid to a foreign entity or person are subject to tax withholding in the U.S. A foreign entity or person is someone who is not a resident or citizen of the U.S. or a green card holder. The general rate of tax withholding is set by U.S. tax rules and regulations and is currently 30% of royalties paid. This withholding tax rate can be reduced if the recipient (you) is resident in a jurisdiction that has a valid income tax treaty with the U.S. This reduced rate is only available if we receive the appropriate documentation from you. Without this documentation, the 30% withholding tax rate will apply. This documentation is either Form W-8BEN or Form W-8ECI issued by the Internal Revenue Service and includes a valid U.S. taxpayer identification number (obtained by filing Form W-7 or SS4).

Now, my question is: there's anybody who has already done something similar, running a thai company and receiving money from the U.s.?

I've already asked my accountant naturally, but he's a bit lazi in answering me this time and I'd like to hear more than one advice, because I'm guessing I'm the first of his customers to do this and like to be sure I can skip this witholding tax and pay taxes just here in thai, as I normally do.

Thanks in advance for any help

IKO

not sure this is what you are looking for but i do know that during the clinton era he made a deal with thailand regarding taxes i.e. if you are american and living in thailand your tax liability is satisfied if you are paying tax in thailand and the same for thais livng in the states hence there is no double taxation. if this is what you are looking for google.