Phuket Police: Aussie Arrest No Laughing Matter

george

Someone mentioned they were involved emotionally - I sincerely hope not, but if they are, will some good soul please see to it that at least one, preferably both get sterilized - we dont want these morons procreating and having their offspring - shudder - in the bar/pub/restaurant/hospitality business. Or worse - president of some country!!

BR>Jack

PS Time to inject some humor into this disgusting National Enquireresque garbage!!

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like police tends to teach good morals to foreigners, but when it´s time for themselves to get educated and learn about dignity, respect, selfesteem, resposibilities and professionalism ?

When will girls stop ripping and cheating loving foreign boyfriends who care about them and bring new chances by pulling the whole family out of poverty ? When will those who participate in traffic stop smiling their responsibilities away and drive without bringing others in danger ?

Why they keep visarules for foreigners always updated but traffic rules don't matter and still not able to design safe roads and clean environment ?

The shortcomings to their own education and developments seems too often been projected on foreigners, most easy targets.

Stupid behaviour and stealing a bartowels is wrong (though in the western world it's a sport to collect bartowels and ashtrays this way) but let them please not teach foreigners about whats right and what wrong, because that's a big joke !

Well put! :) I agree 100%

Here's hoping the tourist industry in Thailand collapses completely. I get tired of all the locals trying to fleece me because they think everyone from the US and Europe are rich, and therefore can afford to pay higher prices. If this was true reason behind the two price systems, why do they not try to charge rich Thais comparable prices to the tourist? Even in government run facilities the disparate pricing schemes still are employed. Shortsighted to say the least, stories like this will cause many would be tourist to vacation elsewhere. It’s a just reward, hopefully soon the only type of tourism left will sex tourism and we will be back to square one.

This is pathetic and yet another nail in the coffin of 'Thailand, land of sillyness'.

I had my laptop stolen and I knew the guy who did it, I went to the police station and told the police. I gave them his number which I had got from a friend of his and they rung him. 1 hour later the guy turned up laptop in hand and the police let him go....they said no harm no foul !

There is little to no common sense in this country.

In Germany all four high speed tires of my car were destroyed with a knife. I had to go to the airport about 120 km away to take a plane and meet costumers. There is no speed limit and such tires are expensive and by law - you need them for certain cars. I had to take a very expensive taxi and replace the very expensive tires.

But I was not the only victim. The German police told me - not kidding - this is my problem. They know that many cars got damaged this night. But they can write a report if I want... At least I did not park at the wrong place - this would be income FOR THEM. In Germany I made the experience - if you do not see them you had luck but if you see them then you have lost. They do not transfer the money in their own pocket - they do it for the government - but for me the result is the same...

Edited by Johnxxx

Dear Darkling. Couldn't agree more. I was at Central Chidlom this morning and there were a lot of men in the cosmetics section definitely not being men anymore!!!!! (well they were dressed as chicks and had makeup and stuff on) Something should be done about it. There is not enough knuckle dragging anymore.

I was forced to pay 650 bht fine for parking my bike somewhere where i had parked it for 3 months i just smiled and payed , i had to pay 300bht just to get a insurance form written out ( behind doors i might add .) yes i payed . wife had a small coffee shop once every now and then they would come in and eat and drink and just walk out . thai police ......... do i need to say more .............MONEY MONEY MONEY is what this is all about .

For all you hard-nosed hang her high types, of course you realise that drugs and prostitution are also against the law in Thailand , so next time you have a drag on a Gunja stick or pay for a bonk remember ,"there but for the grace of God go I".

What is not fact: That she was abusive and did a runner. This is a statement by the bar owner only and he was not there. Nobody else has made this claim except the accused who admitted to running across the road to get out of the rain when they already told her she could go and admitting to crying and being emotionally distraught when in custody of the police. Also when she ran across the road she was chased down by bar staff, not police, the staff then brought her to a police box to get the police involved. At least that was her statement and no one else has said the police had to chase her down except the bar owner who again, was not even there.

Erm.. The bar owner.. The chief of police to the papers.. and witnesses there at the time..

And no.. From what witnesses told me it was not bar staff that chased her down but police..

The owner of the Aussie Bar insisted [at the time of the arrest] that the police press charges and bring the case to court, he said.

The owner was not even in the country at the time. listen to his interview on 3aw.com.au. <deleted> who is lying the bar owner or thai police

Now that would have to be the Thai Police as always. Most of them are so corupt they wouldn't know the truth if it came up and bit them in the arse, they will say anything if it gets them money!!!

OK Two completely different stories regarding 'pressing charges'. Someone is lying like a politician, or a cop caught in a whore house.

I have lived in Phuket for 4 years and found that by being polite and respectable, there is nothing that the Thai people won't help you fix. And I am extremely polite and respectful to all Thai police and they have been very helpful and polite back to me. This includes the many times I was caught breaking Thai laws (although I am not stupid enough to steal). If you are in a foreign country you had better adhere to the laws of that country and do some research. This retard represents the worst type of tourist which is unfortunately common on Bangla Road.

So, you're a bit of a retard as well?? as by breaking Thai laws, you obviously didn't adhere to the law or do your "research"

Also. was the beer mat / towel ever returned to its rightful owner?

I've heard the rumor that PROSTITUTION is illegal in Thailand...probably ONLY a rumor. But if that was the case I wonder why they arrest people who steal bar mats. They should go after all the sex offenders in this country.

And I'll have a guess that there's a fair portion of sextourists or S-Expat's amongst those who post here that she rightfully deserves to be in jail for committing a crime. Clean your own yard first, guys. Most of you are here for the same reason.

Hey come on! There will be no one outside of jails if they rounded up all those involved in prostitution... Come on... where will all these sex starved foreigners go to unload their rocks! Thailand is the only place where any lady will take any foreigner and do all he wants!

I would love to hear you say that to a Thai woman. What a prat you are, but thanks for showing us that such blind ingnorant prejudice still exists.

I frequently disagree with what Grandpops says and this time is no different... 'prat' a much too kind a word...

So whats Steve Woods story, he's a bar owner in Phuket, how long has he been living their, have the police checked his passport visa, any dodgy stamps in the passport? does he have a work permit, as we all know its ok to own a bar, but illegal to change a light bulb without one.

All your licenses ok Steve? Music License? close at the right time, are your girls available for hire? health certificates? employing prostitutes?

What about your bar paraphernalia, was that all obtained legally? or lifted from some bars in Australia?

Have i missed anything the defense should be looking into? LOL

Thats right, some business owner gets his property stolen from him, so we will put him in the dock house and not the thief ! That makes sense, lets hope you will never be a judge in your next life !

If your so concerned about the above why don't you go down to the bar yourself and ask them ?

Better still, why not crawl back under your bar and shut up !

What happened has this sleezy Aussie owner got the police to put a little red police box there in his bar and pay them 1,000 baht a month for "protection" when the going gets tough and people won't pay up!

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. Police can drink there for free and if incidents happen then they can take the offenders away and press money out of them. NICE THAILAND!

I am sick and tired of hearing about this insignificant piece of "news" that is splashed all over the media here in Melbourne. There are more important issues in the world right now and I can't believe the State (Victorian) and Federal Governments are getting involved. The Government was not really that concerned with the Bali nine - although they pretended they were). She is not on death row, she will probably get a fine and will be back in Australia soon, again splashed all over the TV and papers when she arrives at the airport. People get over it, :)

One of the most pathetic statements I ever heard, made by a Thai Police officer!
"This is not a joke. The police do not make allegations without facts to back them up,"

hahahahahaa what a joke! I thought it was the law here to make allegations without facts to back them up!

Wow, you mean to tell me they really are police, working to uphold the law, a law that they all know, that doesn't change for anyone, to serve and protect, not to accept bribes... ...hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaah my ribs! no more please, lol!

Jobs should be lost for this, four days in a police cell for a prank with a towel, and now the prospect of having to stay 3 months for an unfair trail. She's lucky they didn't just shoot her. Brainless idiots.

Thailand will pay the price for all of these mistakes, wrong global publicity and the name it is getting. A real shame for all of the very nice Thais' that can be found here, some of them police officers. Dare i say it, it's the mafia who are destroying everything to fullfill their greed for money and power.

A big "WELL DONE" to all the officers of the Thai Police Force who where involved in this case. You have helped in making Thailand what it is today and we all "THANK YOU" for that. NOT! :)

Edited by dman961

I think that it is important that she gets back to see her kids and she can explain to them that she was held by the bad police for stealing a $5 beer mat that is why the poor children have been made to wait for the return of their parents who did not take them on holiday with them.

The typical police action of any country even if they don't speak the same language is to arrest THIEVES, maybe not in your civilised country.

Are you capable of being unbiased and objective? Another person has admitted that she planted the bar mat in Ms Smoel's purse and the guilty party did report that to the police - who were not interested and have continued to hold the accuseds pass port.

You have seen the size of that mat right ?? And your aware its a big heavy rubberised mat ?? So now how dumb do you have to be to 'not notice' that in your purse.. And then pick the purse up and walk around with it ?? this isnt some little cloth or towel, its about 1 meter heavy rubberised mat..

And then when you listen to her interviews and statements.. And I just picked the bag up.. and I wasnt holding it.. and it was then I though 'uh ho' you can hear the insincerity in her voice..

Her denial that she was only aware when they told her to open her purse is obvious.. You dont just walk off by accident with something that size.

Would you try and steal something on sale in a pub worth $60AU in your home country?

Would you run away from the police in your home country?

Would you verbally abuse the police in your home country?

What kind of 'mother' is she?

Have a look at the beer mat, they are nice and on sale in the Aussie Bar:

yeah, very good point. It is actually a nice beer mat, in that it would be a unique souvenir, gift to bring back to someone. These are the questions that I would have in my head...

Anyone can turn around with hindsight and say it was a practical joke, once you have been caught...

Secondly, what was the nature the nature of this joke. I m still waiting for the punchline? Why is this a funny practical joke? What sense of humour does this appeal to? The only age group I think this would appeal to would be the under 10's.

I know if I was in this situation, I would want it done with straight away, I would have said, look I m sorry, I was drunk, things got out of hand...it was silly, I ll pay the fine and be done with it.

So why would you put yourself through this hassle and stress, if you could just pay a fine, similar to a parking ticket perhaps?

I don't see it being a big problem for tourism. Tourism is suffering due to economic conditions in developed countries. People are travelling less. It is not to do with this. I won't think twice about living in Bangkok and visiting Thailand. Everyone has their personal experience, and mine has always been very positive and I have been treated fairly and with courteousness in most situations. Any problems I have had anywhere, usually if you look deep enough you ll find they are of your own doing. There is more to this than meets the eye. Perhaps she was rude, perhaps she was non-cooperative. Perhaps if she didnt carry around with her a certain attitude, rather than just saying me and my friends were drunk, here is the money, so sorry officer etc etc, then she wouldnt be in this mess? I m just postulating...

So whats Steve Woods story, he's a bar owner in Phuket, how long has he been living their, have the police checked his passport visa, any dodgy stamps in the passport? does he have a work permit, as we all know its ok to own a bar, but illegal to change a light bulb without one.

All your licenses ok Steve? Music License? close at the right time, are your girls available for hire? health certificates? employing prostitutes?

What about your bar paraphernalia, was that all obtained legally? or lifted from some bars in Australia?

Steve has waitresses, there are no bar girls working as prostitutes, its one of the things that separates his bar from many others. Its not a back street bar but possibly the most prominent on the busiest street in Patong . He has about 13 TV's spread throughout the 2 stories and has sport of all kinds available for his patrons He's been there a long time and is very visible, if he was operating without a visa or work permit,then the amount of money he would have to be paying in bribes per week would probably exceed his profit.

What happened has this sleezy Aussie owner got the police to put a little red police box there in his bar and pay them 1,000 baht a month for "protection" when the going gets tough and people won't pay up!

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. Police can drink there for free and if incidents happen then they can take the offenders away and press money out of them. NICE THAILAND!

You live here? if not don't comment

Thats right, some business owner gets his property stolen from him, so we will put him in the dock house and not the thief ! That makes sense, lets hope you will never be a judge in your next life !

If your so concerned about the above why don't you go down to the bar yourself and ask them ?

Better still, why not crawl back under your bar and shut up !

Well said !

Aussie bar is one of the biggest and most prominent bars in Bangla.. Maybe on Phuket.. So of course Steve will have a work permit and music licenses etc..

And the Aussie bar is one of the very few on Bangla that doesnt have girls for hire.. No bar fines, no hookers on staff..

So nice try but better luck next time.

Already aproaching 2000 readers here and blanket coverage on media world wide......... you just can't buy publicity like this !!!!! Well done Thailand.... NOT!!!!!!

2000 readers already - the un-informed, the mis-informed and the il-informed. A rather large group apparently.

Live here for whatever reason, but! if you can't cope, the reasonable action would be to find that spot on this earth that meets your expectations.

I have lived here for 15 years and am totally accepting of the fact I live in a cartoon.

Welcome to TOONTOWN !

Maybe he is one of those expat Farangs that hate white women (especially from his own country).

She's looked around his bar then gave him the old "I know what you're upto you low life sex addict" look.

He's gone into trigger mode after all the nasty experiences with Aussie women throughout his life.

First chance he gets he slams one of them in jail.

Simple really :)

simple fantasy, he wasn't even there...

Well I think any one that has lived in Thailand and did business UNDER HIS WIFE's NAME knows that that is how the sytem works. You have the silent partners the cops! Nothing moves or gets done without them getting paid, or your business will cease to exist! I had an internet Cafe in Ciang mai, before I put the little red police box in my wifes cafe I was threatened that Microsoft will come and take posession of all my PC's for not having windows licence EVEN THOUGH I SHOWED THEM WE DID... Once the box was in and we paid every month... hey Microsoft dissapeared... and I could even add more PC's with pirated software..!!! Love it!

Oh yeah! and don't be susrprised guys that if your Thai wife running your business is working together with the cops every time tou are asked to pay for something! Mine was... :) Pissed her off when I found out but I lost my investment in the business and... yes! she was married to one of the cops while being my wife for 6 years and having a kid with me!!! Ah Thailand! AMAZING THAILAND! Everything is for sales even coppers wives. When they get caught out back to their Thai husbands.. and look for next victim!

Sounds like police tends to teach good morals to foreigners, but when it´s time for themselves to get educated and learn about dignity, respect, selfesteem, resposibilities and professionalism ?

When will girls stop ripping and cheating loving foreign boyfriends who care about them and bring new chances by pulling the whole family out of poverty ? When will those who participate in traffic stop smiling their responsibilities away and drive without bringing others in danger ?

Why they keep visarules for foreigners always updated but traffic rules don't matter and still not able to design safe roads and clean environment ?

The shortcomings to their own education and developments seems too often been projected on foreigners, most easy targets.

Stupid behaviour and stealing a bartowels is wrong (though in the western world it's a sport to collect bartowels and ashtrays this way) but let them please not teach foreigners about whats right and what wrong, because that's a big joke !

please pass me a tissue....just the thought of those 'loving foreign boyfriends being ripped and cheated. It breaks my heart it really does.

I think that it is important that she gets back to see her kids and she can explain to them that she was held by the bad police for stealing a $5 beer mat that is why the poor children have been made to wait for the return of their parents who did not take them on holiday with them.

The typical police action of any country even if they don't speak the same language is to arrest THIEVES, maybe not in your civilised country.

Are you capable of being unbiased and objective? Another person has admitted that she planted the bar mat in Ms Smoel's purse and the guilty party did report that to the police - who were not interested and have continued to hold the accuseds pass port.

You have seen the size of that mat right ?? And your aware its a big heavy rubberised mat ?? So now how dumb do you have to be to 'not notice' that in your purse.. And then pick the purse up and walk around with it ?? this isnt some little cloth or towel, its about 1 meter heavy rubberised mat..

And then when you listen to her interviews and statements.. And I just picked the bag up.. and I wasnt holding it.. and it was then I though 'uh ho' you can hear the insincerity in her voice..

Her denial that she was only aware when they told her to open her purse is obvious.. You dont just walk off by accident with something that size.

I agree, initially, I was like <deleted> are the police doing, but now I do smell a rat. There does seem something a little fake about this lady, somethings just don't add up.

The silly cow deserves everything she gets except the cash handouts from the Australian media.

You are a very compassionate sole. It's too bad she wasn't Black she would get more sympathy.

Cheers!

You should see my post on the silly cow done for trafficking drugs into Laos - same kind of thing - no colour prejudice at all.

Maybe he is one of those expat Farangs that hate white women (especially from his own country).

She's looked around his bar then gave him the old "I know what you're upto you low life sex addict" look.

He's gone into trigger mode after all the nasty experiences with Aussie women throughout his life.

First chance he gets he slams one of them in jail.

Simple really :)

Sounds like you have an ex wife or how else would you know about Aussie women or indeed all Farang women???