Although now is probably not the best time to buy, i was interested to know how many condo units can be owned by a foreigner in their own name?

I do not think there is a limit. I have 3 and I have not had any issues

Although now is probably not the best time to buy, i was interested to know how many condo units can be owned by a foreigner in their own name?

I do not think there is a limit. I have 3 and I have not had any issues

If you rent them out it could be seen as you are working.

WP then required.

The limit only applies to the amount of space which can be sold to a foreigner in any particular project. If your pockets were deep enough (and you were so inclined) you could purchase the 49% stake in every condo project in the country.

As to the work permit issue, its a grey area, due to the vague description of what constitutes work.

I have personally never met anyone who has had to get a work permit because they receive rent here, likewise I have not heard of anyone needing a work permit to invest in the stock market.

There is a grey area. However, property and the stock market of the same. You do not need a work permit to invest in property or shares. However, you do need a work permit if you act as a professional property or share dealer.

In my building, 6 best condos were bought by a foreigner, in his own name. 320 condos in the building.

There might be (and should be) but I am not aware of max per name. If that limit exists it should apply to both foreigners and Thais.

To guard against, for example, if someone owns 40% of the building and stops paying maintenance levies for whatever reason. My building in Sydney has a limit of 3 condos (strata titles) per owner. My former landlord lady owned 4 out of 370 condos at Sukhumvit Plus Phrakhanong.

I have not seen that kind of discussion or facts yet on this board.