Visit Angkor Wat, Cambodia

I would like to travel to Angkor Wat (Siem Reap) in Cambodia from Pattaya. Can anyone suggest a bus or van? I read that I can take a public bus that goes to Poi Pet, cross the border and take a public bus to Siem Reap. Maybe this is the easiest and cheapest method. But if there is a bus that goes directly to Angkor Wat (without the tour package price) it would be more convenient.

I have heard of all the scams that occur on the bus or van lines after entering Cambodia. If someone has taken a bus or van that didn't have these problems I would like to know about it.

Thanks

I would like to travel to Angkor Wat (Siem Reap) in Cambodia from Pattaya. Can anyone suggest a bus or van? I read that I can take a public bus that goes to Poi Pet, cross the border and take a public bus to Siem Reap. Maybe this is the easiest and cheapest method. But if there is a bus that goes directly to Angkor Wat (without the tour package price) it would be more convenient.

I have heard of all the scams that occur on the bus or van lines after entering Cambodia. If someone has taken a bus or van that didn't have these problems I would like to know about it.

Thanks

By road? In the rainy season? Good luck!

Check out the Siem Reap section of this usually very good FREE guide book:

http://www.canbypublications.com/

Almost hate to say it but commie Laos has pretty good roads all over the place.

Mac

6 months ago when I had to travel back to Thailand overland because of the Suvarnabhumi Bangkok airport closure the road was about 1/3 tarmac and they were working on the other stretches. Should be better now, as they were erecting proper concrete bridges across the rivers.

Private taxi is $25 from the border to Siem Reap. Don't know about buses as I usually fly in to PP.

You can catch the public bus from the same station on Pattaya Neua Rd. as used for the buses to Bangkok. I forget the times, but there are at least two or three every day. Get off at Aranyaprathet, jump on a motorbike for a short ride to the border, then prepare for chaos and scams galore as you enter Poipet. $25 for a taxi to Siem Reap might be a little optimistic, depending on the current state of the road. Last time I did it, about three months ago, it was surprisingly good.

The road in Cambodia is now completed, so traveling is not a problem. Once in Cambodia, I heard the taxi is around $50, so if I share it with someone, than it would be around $25. I heard the bus is one option which someone said was $10.

I guess the rainy season is starting so not sure how that might affect the trip. In the next three month, is there a better month than June?

I stopped by the bus station on Pattaya Neua Rd and they had two buses to Aranyaprathet. One leave at 7:30am (171 baht) and the other at 8:30am (212 baht). It goes to Mukdahan so I need to get off when it arrives in Aranyaprathet. The 171 baht bus doesn't have a toilet.